- 1.(1) Methyl clofenapate, a derivative of clofibrate, lowers the plasma cholesterol concentration and the Sf 02̄0 lipoprotein concentration in patients with Type II hyperlipoproteinaemia.
- 2.(2) The responsiveness of Type II patients to clofenapate is not related to the presence or absence of hypertriglyceridaemia. Hence Type IIa cannot be distinguished from Type IIb on the basis of response to this drug.
- 3.(3) Methyl clofenapate lowered serum triglycerides more markedly than serum cholesterol, and it lowered the Sf 20–400 lipoproteins in all the types of hyperlipidaemia studied (13 cases of Type II, 3 cases of Type III and 2 cases of Type IV).
- 4.(4) The drug has been withdrawn because of hepato-toxic effects in animals. Some rise in SGOT was demonstrated in the present study.
- 5.(5) Four patients experienced recurrences of myocardial infarction and slight increase in PBI may have been a contributory factor.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Fat transport in lipoproteins—an integrated approach to mechanisms and disorders.N. Engl. J. Med. 1967; 276: 34
- Fat transport in lipoproteins- an integrated approach to mechanisms and disorders.N. Engl. J. Med. 1967; 276: 94
- Fat transport in lipoproteins- an integrated approach to mechanisms and disorders.N. Engl. J. Med. 1967; 276: 148
- Studies on low-density lipoprotein turnover in relation to Atromid therapy.J. Atheroscler. Res. 1963; 3: 396
- Milan, Italy1968 (Unpublished communication) 3rd International Symposium on Drugs Affecting Lipid Metabolism,
- Treatment of hyperlipidaemias.Amer. J. Med. 1968; 45: 488
- Hypocholesterolemic and other effects of methyl clofenapate, a novel derivative of clofibrate.in: Jones R.J. Atherosclerosis. Springer, Berlin1970: 541-544
- A rapid, accurate method for the determination of total cholesterol in serum.Analyt. Chem. 1953; 25: 813
- An improved method for the determination of total serum cholesterol using toluene-p-sulphonic acid.J. Med. Lab. Technol. 1962; 19: 243
- A stable reagent for the Liebermann-Burchard reaction.Analyt. Chem. 1961; 33: 1405
- Simplified rapid technic for the extraction and determination of serum cholesterol without saponification.Clin. Chem. 1956; 2: 353
- A modified hydroxamic acid method for determining total esterified fatty acids in plasma.Analyst (London). 1959; 84: 409
- The colorimetric determination of phosphorus.J. Biol. Chem. 1925; 66: 375
- Micro-analysis in Medical Biochemistry.in: 3rd edition. Churchill, London1956: 7
- The distribution and chemical composition of ultracentrifugally separated lipoproteins in human serum.J. Clin. Invest. 1955; 34: 1345
- A new technique for the investigation of the low-density lipoproteins in health and disease.Clin. Chim. Acta. 1966; 14: 812
- Sharper separation of lipoprotein species by paper electrophoresis in albumin-containing buffer.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 1963; 61: 518
- Lipoprotein — elektrophorese in agarosegel.Clin. Chim. Acta. 1968; 19: 493
- The computer in the laboratory.Practitioner. 1969; 203: 294
- A method for the estimation of serum creatine kinase and its use in comparing creatine kinase and aldolase activity in normal and pathological sera.Clin. Chim. Acta. 1962; 7: 597
- An automated determination of serum creatine phosphokinase.Clin. Chem. 1966; 12: 532
- Automation in analytical chemistry.in: Technicon Symposium, 1964 Mediad Inc, New York, N.Y1964
- Effect of clofibrate on low-density lipoprotein turnover in essential hypercholesterolaemia.J. Atheroscler. Res. 1969; 9: 25
- Remarks on the significance of changes in serum transaminase levels.J. Atheroscler. Res. 1963; 3: 740
☆This investigation was generously supported by the British Heart Foundation.