This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Blackgram (Phaseolus mango) has been previously reported to have a pronounced hypolipidaemic action in rats fed a hypercholesterolaemic diet. A protein and an insoluble polysaccharide fraction have now been isolated which decrease the level of total cholesterol and phospholipid in the serum, liver and aorta in rats fed a high-fat-high-cholesterol diet. The fatty acids isolated from the lipid fractions also have some hypolipidaemic effect, though to a lesser extent. The protein fraction has the solubility characteristics of a globulin and contains a carbohydrate residue. The polysaccharide fraction contains 3.36% N.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Atherosclerosis
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Effect of certain Indian pulses on the serum liver and aortic lipid levels in rats fed a hypercholesterolaemic diet.Atherosclerosis. 1970; 11: 479
- Dietary carbohydrate and serum cholesterol in rats.in: Fed. Proc.26. 1967: 490
- Effect of dietary carbohydrates on experimentally induced hypercholesteremia and hyperbetalipoproteinemia in rats.in: Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med.91. 1956: 321
- Experimental atherosclerosis in rabbits fed cholesterol free diets.J. Atheroscler. Res. 1968; 8: 697
- Effect of dietary carbohydrate on hepatic lipogenesis in the rat.Nature (Lond.). 1968; 217: 471
- Effect of carbohydrate source on serum and hepatic cholesterol levels in the cholesterol fed rats.in: Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med.130. 1969: 884
- Effect of dietary proteins, methionine and vitamins on plasma lipids and atherosclerosis in cholesterol fed cockerels.Circulat. Res. 1958; 6: 442
- Effect of dietary proteins and carbohydrate levels on cholesteremia and atherogenesis in cockerels kept on a high fat high cholesterol mash.Circulat. Res. 1958; 6: 447
- Effect of dietary protein and heated fat on serum cholesterol and β-lipoprotein levels and on the incidence of experimental atherosclerosis in chick.Circulat. Res. 1958; 6: 194
- quoted in Scot, J. E.)Aliphatic ammonium salts in the assay of acidic polysaccharides from tissues. Methods of Biochemical Analysis. Vol. 8. Interscience, London1960: 154 (
- Blood lipids — total cholesterol.in: Frankil S. Reitman S. Gradwohl's Clinical Laboratory Methods and Diagnosis. Mosby, St. Louis, Mo1963: 225
- Blood lipids — phospholipids.in: Frankil S. Reitmann S. Gradwohl's Clinical Laboratory Methods and Diagnosis. Mosby, St. Louis, Mo1963: 258
- Effect of dietary proteins on blood cholesterol levels of adults.Geriatrics. 1959; 14: 237
- Dietary proteins and plasma cholesterol.in: Fed. Proc.18. 1959: 96
- Effect of high protein diet on experimental atherosclerosis of rabbits.Arch. Pathol. 1941; 31: 147
- Dietary protein and serum cholesterol.Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 1959; 77: 234
- Diet type and blood lipids in man.J. Nutr. 1960; 70: 257
- The effect of low protein diets upon serum cholesterol in man.Amer. J. Clin. Nutr. 1958; 6: 310
- Hypolipidaemic activity of whole paddy in rats fed a high-fat-high-cholesterol diet. Isolation of an active fraction from the husk and bran.Atherosclerosis. 1972; 15: 215
Received: August 16, 1971
☆Patent application has been filed for patent rights for the isolation of these fractions.
© 1972 Published by Elsevier Inc.