- 1.(1) The effect of clofibrate was compared with that of its derivative methyl clofenapate in 11 patients with primary hyperlipoproteinaemia. Methyl clofenapate was slightly more effective than clofibrate in reducing Sf 0–20 cholesterol in Type II patients, and it was much more effective than clofibrate in reducing Sf 20–400 cholesterol and serum triglyceride in Type III and IV patients.
- 2.(2) A rise in SGOT occurred with both drugs.
- 3.(3) Methyl clofenapate has now been withdrawn because of late toxic effects in animals. A direct comparison of its activity with that of clofibrate in the same subjects is nevertheless presented to illustrate the effect in humans of further chemical modification of molecules of this class.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Clinical trial of methyl clofenapate (a derivative of clofibrate) in patients with essential hyperlipidaemias, with special reference to type II (primary) hyperlipidaemia.Atherosclerosis. 1972; 15: 189
- Fat transport in lipoproteins — an integrated approach to mechanisms and disorders.New Engl. J. Med. 1967; 267: 34
- Fat transport in lipoproteins — an integrated approach to mechanisms and disorders.New Engl. J. Med. 1967; 267: 94
- Fat transport in lipoproteins — an integrated approach to mechanisms and disorders.New Engl. J. Med. 1967; 267: 148
- Classification of hyperlipidaemias and hyperlipoproteinaemias.Bull. Wld Hlth Org. 1970; 43: 891-908
- Hypocholesterolaemic and other effects of methyl clofenapate, a novel derivative of clofibrate.in: Jones R.J. Atherosclerosis, Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium, Chicago, 1969 Springer, New York, N.Y1970: 541
- Remarks on the significance of changes in serum transaminase levels.J. Atheroscler. Res. 1963; 3: 740
☆Thanks are due to the British Heart Foundation for financial support.