Advertisement

Hypolipidaemic principle of the husk and bran of paddy nature of the substance and its effect on cholesterol absorption and faecal bile salt excretion in rats fed a high-fat-high-cholesterol diet

      This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.

      Abstract

      The effect of oral administration of varying doses of a polysaccharide fraction isolated from bran and husk of paddy on the cholesterol, phospholipid and triglyceride levels of the serum, liver and aorta in rats fed a high-fat-high-cholesterol diet has been studied. At a daily dose of 15 mg per rat per day, these levels were comparable to those in rats fed a normal diet. The substance, while having no appreciable effect on cholesterol absorption, considerably increased the breakdown of cholesterol to bile salts and caused increased faecal bile salt excretion. The polysaccharide fraction contains 41.53% carbohydrate, 7.48% uronic acid, 0.54% hexosamine, 22.03 proteins, 1.78 % sulphate and 4.3 % acetyl groups. It is found to contain two components one precipitable by cetylpyridinium chloride (42%) and the other not precipitable (58%).

      Keywords

      To read this article in full you will need to make a payment

      Purchase one-time access:

      Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
      One-time access price info
      • For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
      • For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'

      Subscribe:

      Subscribe to Atherosclerosis
      Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
      Already an online subscriber? Sign in
      Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect

      References

        • Vijayagopal P.
        • Kurup P.A.
        Hypolipidaemic activity of whole paddy in rats fed a highfat-high-cholesterol diet — Isolation of an active fraction from the husk and bran.
        Atherosclerosis. 1972; 15: 215
        • Ashwell G.
        New colorimetric methods of sugar analysis.
        in: 4th edition. Methods in Enzymology. Vol. 8. Academic Press, New York1966: 93
        • Bitter T.
        • Muir H.M.
        A modified uronic acid carbazole reaction.
        Anal. Biochem. 1962; 4: 330
        • Boas N.F.
        Methods for the determination of hexosamines in tissues.
        J. Biol. Chem. 1953; 204: 553
        • Woolton I.D.P.
        Plasma proteins.
        in: Microanalysis in Medical Biochemistry. 4th edition. 1964: 138 (Churchill, London)
        • Dodgson K.S.
        • Price R.G.
        A note on the determination of the ester sulphate content of sulphated polysaccharides.
        Biochem. J. 1962; 84: 106
        • Belcher R.
        • Godbert A.L.
        Determination of acetyl and of methyl groups attached to carbon.
        in: Semimicro-Quantitative Organic Analysis. 2nd edition. 1954: 160 (ch. 15)
        • Saraswathy Devi K.
        • Kurup P.A.
        Effect of certain Indian pulses on the serum, liver and aortic lipid levels in rats fed a hypercholesterolaemic diet.
        Atherosclerosis. 1970; 11: 479
        • Carr J.J.
        • Drekter I.J.
        Estimation of total cholesterol in the serum.
        Clin. Chem. 1956; 2: 353
        • Zilversmit D.B.
        • Davis A.K.
        Microdetermination of phospholipids.
        J. Lab. Clin. Med. 1950; 35: 155
        • Van Handel E.
        • Zilversmit D.B.
        Micromethod for the direct determination of serum triglycerides.
        J. Lab. Clin. Med. 1957; 50: 152
        • Snell F.D.
        • Snell C.T.
        Estimation of cholic acid and desoxycholic acid.
        in: 11th edition. Colorimetric Methods of Analysis. Vol. 3 A. Van Nostrand, New York1961: 351