This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
High density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol and the HDL/total cholesterol ratio have been measured in 440 patients with coronary, cerebral or peripheral vascular disease and in 440 matched controls. The patients were subdivided into sex- and age-groups and according to physical activity, smoking, hypertension and non-insulin-dependent and insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.
The average HDL cholesterol level was significantly decreased in all the three groups of localization of ischaemic vascular disease (IVD). Plasma HDL concentration in men was lower than in women in every age-group. Lowest values were measured in patients with cerebral vascular diseases.
From among the risk factors supposed to be related to IVD, lack of physical exercise resulted in a decrease of HDL cholesterol and HDL/total cholesterol values. In all the three localizations of IVD cigarette smokers had lower HDL levels than non-smokers. The influence of hypertension on serum HDL concentration was not unidirectional. The coexistence of non-insulin-dependent diabetes and IVD resulted in decreased lipid parameters. The sera of insulin-dependent depbetics had higher HDL contents and higher HDL/total cholesterol ratios than those of non-diabetics in all the three localizations of the vascular disease in men and in women suffering from peripheral vascular disease.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Atherosclerosis
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Plasma-highdensity-lipoprotein concentration and development of ischaemic heartdisease.Lancet. 1975; i: 16
- High density lipoprotein as a protective factor against coronary heart disease — The Framingham Study.Amer. J. Med. 1977; 62: 707
- Th Tromsö Heart Study.Lancet. 1977; i: 965
- Quantitative and qualitative serum lipoprotein analysis.Atherosclerosis. 1975; 21: 435
- Serum lipoproteins and coronary heart disease in a population study of Hawaii Japanese men.N. Engl. J. Mod. 1976; 294: 293
- Serum-high-density-lipoprotein and atherosclerotic heartdisease.Lancet. 1976; i: 499
- Normal serum-cholesterol but low H.D.L.-cholesterol concentration in young patients with ischaemic cerebrovascular disease.Lancet. 1978; i: 577
- (Editorial)High-density lipoprotein and atheroma. Lancet. ii. 1978: 1291
- A comprehensive evaluation of the heparine-manganese precipitation procedure for estimating HDL cholesterol.J. Lipid. Res. 1978; 19: 65
- Quantitation of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol in serum by a heparin-Mn2+ precipitation method.Clin. Chem. 1977; 23: 912
- Lipoproteins and plasma cholesterol esterification in normal and diabetic subjects.Atherosclerosis. 1979; 34: 437
- Quantitative and qualitative serum lipoprotein analysis, Part 2 (Studies in male survivors of myocardial infarction).Atherosclerosis. 1975; 21: 435
- HDL-Cholesterol bei Patienten mit Fettstoff-wechselstungen - Bestimmunpmethodik and Ergebnisse.Dtsch. Gesundb: Wesen. 1979; 34: 487
- Current concepts — Plasma high-density lioproteins.N. Engl. J. Med. 1978; 299: 1232
- Metabolic and endocrine control of plasma high density lipoprotein concentration.in: Gotto A.M. Miller N.E. Oliver M.F. Elsevier/North-Holland Biomedical Press, Amsterdam1978: 127
- The distribution of plasma lipoprotein in middle-aged male runners.Metabolism. 1976; 25: 1249
- High density lipoproteins (HDL) and physical activity — The influence of physical exercise, age and smoking on HDL-cholesterol and the HDL/total cholesterol ratio.Scand. J. Clin. Lab. Invest. 1977; 37: 251
- Marked increase in high density lipoproteins in mountaineers.Atherosclerosis. 1979; 34: 193
- Serum triglycerides and cholesterol and serum high density lipoprotein cholesterol in highly physically active men.Acta Med. Scand. 1978; 204: 111
- Cholesterol metabolism in non-obese women — Failure of physical conditioning to alter levels of high density lipoprotein cholesterol.Atherosclerosis. 1979; 34: 159
- Plasma high density lipoprotein cholesterol level — Influence of risk factor intervention.J. Amer. Med. Ass. 1977; 238: 2269
- High density lipoprotein and coronary risk factors in normal men.Lancet. 1979; i: 72
- Effect of smoking on serum levels of HDL apoproteins.Atherosclerosis. 1979; 34: 339
- Relation of HDL cholesterol concentration to type of diabetes and its control.Brit. Med. J. 1978; 2: 1190
- Serum high density lipoprotein in diabetic patients.Diabetologla. 1977; 13: 285
- HDL cholesterol in diabetes.Brit. Med. J. 1978; 2: 1727
Accepted: April 21, 1981
Received: April 15, 1981
© 1981 Published by Elsevier Inc.