- •443 healthcare professionals involved in the management of CVD completed a survey assessing their knowledge of FH.
- •The prevalence and associated risk of FH continue to be underestimated.
- •Unless knowledge is improved, patients with FH will continue to be diagnosed late, and may not be managed appropriately.
- •Knowledge of FH can easily be improved through targeted education.
- •Fewer than 10% of healthcare professionals surveyed report that their region manages FH well.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia is underdiagnosed and undertreated in the general population: guidance for clinicians to prevent coronary heart disease: consensus statement of the European Atherosclerosis Society.Eur. Heart J. 2013; 34: 3478-3490a
- Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia.Atherosclerosis. 2004; 173: 55-68
- A review on the diagnosis, natural history, and treatment of familial hypercholesterolaemia.Atherosclerosis. 2003; 168: 1-14
- Efficacy of statins in familial hypercholesterolaemia: a long term cohort study.BMJ. 2008; 337: a2423
- Non-coronary heart disease mortality and risk of fatal cancer in patients with treated heterozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia: a prospective registry study.Atherosclerosis. 2005; 179: 293-297
- The prevention of cardiovascular disease: have we really made progress?.Health Aff. (Millwood). 2007; 26: 49-60
- Familial hypercholesterolemia: a missed opportunity in preventive medicine.Nat. Clin. Pract. Cardiovasc Med. 2007; 4: 404-405
- New EAS Consensus Statement on FH: improving the care of FH patients.Atherosclerosis. 2013; 231: 69-71
- Future issues, public policy, and public awareness of familial hypercholesterolemias: recommendations from the national lipid association expert panel on familial hypercholesterolemia.J. Clin. Lipidol. 2011; 5: S46-S51
- Think again about cholesterol survey.Atheroscler. Suppl. 2015; 20: 1-5
- Familial Hypercholesterolaemia: Identification and Management of Familial Hypercholesterolaemia. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, London2008
- Extent of underdiagnosis of familial hypercholesterolaemia in routine practice: prospective registry study.BMJ. 2000; 321: 148
- Familial hypercholesterolemia in the danish general population: prevalence, coronary artery disease, and cholesterol-lowering medication.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2012; 97: 3956-3964
- Familial Hypercholesterolaemia. NICE Quality Standard [QS41]. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, Manchester2013
- Screening for familial hypercholesterolaemia. Funding is difficult to obtain but screening can be international.BMJ. 2001; 322: 1061-1062
- Opportunistic screening for familial hypercholesterolaemia via a community laboratory.Ann. Clin. Biochem. 2012; 49: 534-537
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia in primary care: knowledge and practices among general practitioners in Western Australia.Heart Lung Circ. 2013; 23: 309-313
- Familial hypercholesterolemias: prevalence, genetics, diagnosis and screening recommendations from the national lipid association expert panel on familial hypercholesterolemia.J. Clin. Lipidol. 2011; 5: S9-S17
- Familial hypercholesterolemia: an under-recognized but significant concern in cardiology practice.Clin. Cardiol. 2013; 37: 119-125
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia is underdiagnosed after AMI.BMJ. 2001; 322: 111
- A Genetic Strategy for Preventing Early Deaths - Familial Hypercholesterolemia (FH).World Health Organization, Human Genetics Programme, Geneva1996
- Identifying patients with familial hypercholesterolaemia in primary care: an informatics-based approach in one primary care centre.Heart. 2008; 94: 754-758
- Significant gaps in awareness of familial hypercholesterolemia among physicians in selected Asia-Pacific countries: a pilot study.J. Clin. Lipidol. 2015; 9: 42-48
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia: a pressing issue for European health care.Atherosclerosis. 2013; 231: 223-226
- PCSK9: a convertase that coordinates LDL catabolism.J. Lipid Res. 2009; 50: S172-S177
- Two years after molecular diagnosis of familial hypercholesterolemia: majority on cholesterol-lowering treatment but a minority reaches treatment goal.PLoS One. 2010; 5: e9220
- Non-adherence to statin therapy: a major challenge for preventive cardiology.Expert Opin. Pharmacother. 2009; 10: 2973-2985
- Cost effectiveness analysis of different approaches of screening for familial hypercholesterolaemia.BMJ. 2002; 324: 1303
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia: a global call to arms.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 243: 257-259