Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
World Health Organization. Obesity: Preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report of a WHO consultation. WHO Technical Report Series, 894. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2000.
US Department of Health and Human Services. Physical activity and health: a report of the Surgeon General. Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion; 1996.
- Reduction in obesity and related comorbid conditions after diet-induced weight loss or exercise-induced weight loss in men. A randomized, controlled trial.Ann. Intern. Med. 2000; 133: 92-103
- Physical activity and energy requirements.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 1995; 62: 1059S-1066
- Effects of exercise training on plasma lipids and lipoproteins.Exerc. Sport Sci. Rev. 1994; 22: 477-521
- Response of blood lipids to exercise training alone or combined with dietary intervention.Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 2001; 33 (discussion S528-9): S502-515
- Genetic and environmental contributions to cardiovascular risk factors in Mexican Americans. The San Antonio Family Heart Study.Circulation. 1996; 94: 2159-2170
- Familial aggregation of blood lipid response to exercise training in the health, risk factors, exercise training, and genetics (HERITAGE) Family Study.Circulation. 2002; 105: 1904-1908
- The response to exercise with constant energy intake in identical twins.Obes. Res. 1994; 2: 400-410
- The response to long-term overfeeding in identical twins.N. Engl. J. Med. 1990; 322: 1477-1482
- Overfeeding and energy expenditure in humans.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 1992; 56: 857-862
- Endurance training with constant energy intake in identical twins: changes over time in energy expenditure and related hormones.Metabolism. 1997; 46: 499-503
Behnke AR, Wilmore JH. Evaluation and regulation of body build and composition. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall; 1974.
- Volume of the lung determined by helium dilution.J. Clin. Invest. 1949; 28: 129-139
Siri WE. The gross composition of the body. In: Lawrence JH, Tobias CA, editors. Advances in biological and medical physics, vol. 4. New York, NY: Academic Press; 1956. p. 239–80.
Lohman T, Roche A, Martorel R. Standardization of anthropometric measurements. In: Lohman T, Roche A, Martorel R, editors. Anthropometric standardization reference manual. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics Publishers; 1988. p. 39–80.
- Determination of total adipose tissue and body fat in women by computed tomography, 40 K, and tritium.Am. J. Physiol. 1986; 250: E736-745
- Overfeeding in identical twins: 5-year postoverfeeding results.Metabolism. 1996; 45: 1042-1050
- Plasma glucose, insulin, and glucagon before and after long-term overfeeding in identical twins.Metabolism. 1995; 44: 96-105
- Increase in plasma high-density lipoprotein concentration following complete androgen blockage in men with prostatic carcinoma.Metabolism. 1987; 36: 244-250
- Using MZ twins in experimental research to test for the presence of a genotype-environment interaction effect.Acta Genet. Med. Gemellol. (Roma). 1990; 39: 85-89
- Blood lipid response to 20 weeks of supervised exercise in a large biracial population: the HERITAGE Family Study.Metabolism. 2000; 49: 513-520
- The effects of exercise on blood lipids and lipoproteins: a meta-analysis of studies.Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 1983; 15: 393-402
- Effects of endurance exercise training on plasma HDL cholesterol levels depend on levels of triglycerides: evidence from men of the health, risk factors, exercise training and genetics (HERITAGE) Family Study.Arterioscler Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2001; 21: 1226-1232
- Variability in the response of HDL cholesterol to exercise training in the HERITAGE Family Study.Int. J. Sports Med. 2002; 23: 1-9
- A comparison of plasma cholesterol, triglycerides, and high density lipoprotein–cholesterol in speed skaters, weightlifters and non-athletes.Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. Occup. Physiol. 1982; 48: 77-82
- HDL cholesterol across a spectrum of physical activity from quadriplegia to marathon running.Lancet. 1983; 1: 1212-1213
- Long-term exercise training with constant energy intake 3: effects on plasma lipoprotein levels.Int. J. Obes. 1990; 14: 85-94
- Changes in plasma lipids and lipoproteins in overweight men during weight loss through dieting as compared with exercise.N. Engl. J. Med. 1988; 319: 1173-1179
- Health effects resulting from exercise versus those from body fat loss.Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 2001; 33 (discussion S640-1): S611-621
- Effects of the amount and intensity of exercise on plasma lipoproteins.N. Engl. J. Med. 2002; 347: 1483-1492
- Familial resemblance of plasma lipids, lipoproteins and postheparin lipoprotein and hepatic lipases in the HERITAGE Family Study.Arterioscler Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 1997; 17: 3263-3269