Abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), CI (confidence interval), HDL cholesterol (high density lipoprotein cholesterol), HOMA IR (homeostasis model IR), ILSA (Italian Longitudinal Study on Aging), LDL cholesterol (low density lipoprotein cholesterol), MetS (metabolic syndrome), MSA (measure of sampling adequacy), OR (odds ratio), S.D. (standard deviation), WHR (waist to hip ratio)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Association of hyperlipemia, diabetes mellitus and mild obesity.Acta Diabetol Lat. 1967; 4: 572-590
- Obesity, metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular disease.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004; 89: 2595-2600
- Clustering of procoagulation, inflammation and fibrinolysis variables with metabolic factors in insulin resistence syndrome.Am J Epidemiol. 2000; 152: 897-907
- Risk variable clustering in the insulin resistance syndrome. The Framingham Offspring Study.Diabetes. 1997; 46: 1594-1600
- Prevalence and factor analysis of metabolic syndrome in an urban Korean population.Diab Care. 2004; 27: 2027-2032
- Components of the “Metabolic Syndrome” and incidence of type 2 diabetes.Diabetes. 2002; 51: 3120-3127
- The metabolic syndrome defined by factor analysis and incident type 2 diabetes in a Chinese population with high postprandial glucose.Diab Care. 2004; 27: 2429-2437
- Are metabolic risk factors one unified syndrome? Modeling the structure of the metabolic syndrome X.Am J Epidemiol. 2003; 157: 701-711
- Factor analysis and defining the metabolic syndrome.Ethn Dis. 2003; 13: 429-437
- Factor analysis of metabolic syndrome among the middle-aged Bengalee Hindu men of Calcutta India.Diab Metab Res Rev. 2005; 21: 58-64
- Factor analysis of the metabolic syndrome among elderly Koreans—the southwest Seoul Study.Diab Med. 2003; 20: 99-104
- Insulin resistance syndrome predicts coronary heart disease events in elderly nondiabetic men.Circulation. 1999; 100: 123-128
- A confirmatory factor analysis evaluation of the coronary heart disease risk factors of metabolic syndrome with emphasis on the insulin resistance factor.Diab Obes Metab. 2003; 5: 388-396
- Risk factor clustering in the insulin resistance syndrome The Strong Heart Study.Am J Epidemiol. 1998; 148: 869-878
- Factors of the insulin resistance syndrome in nondiabetic and diabetic elderly Japanese–American men.Am J Epidemiol. 1998; 148: 441-447
- Factor analysis of ethnic variation in the multiple metabolic (insulin resistance) syndrome in three Canadian populations.Am J Hum Biol. 2002; 14: 649-658
- The metabolic syndrome: prevalence in worldwide populations.Endocrinol Metab Clin N Am. 2004; 33: 351-375
- The Italian Longitudinal Study on Aging (ILSA): design and methods.Aging Clin Exp Res. 1994; 6: 464-473
The Italian Longitudinal Study on Aging Working Group. Prevalence of chronic diseases in older Italians: comparing self-reported and clinical diagnoses. Int J Epidemiol 1997;26:995–1002.
- Estimation of the concentration of low density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge.Clin Chem. 1972; 18: 499-502
- Anthropometric measurements in the elderly: age gender differences.Br J Nutr. 2002; 87: 1-11
Third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). Final report. JAMA 2001;285:2486–97.
- Definition of metabolic syndrome: report of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute/American Heart Association Conference on scientific issues related to definition.Circulation. 2004; 109: 433-438
- Banting lecture role of insulin resistance in human disease.Diabetes. 1988; 37: 1595-1607
- In vivo measurement of insulin sensitivity in humans.in: Clinical research in diabetes and obesity. vol. 1. Humana, Totowa, NJ1997: 23-65
- Hyperinsulinaemia: the key feature of a cardiovascular and metabolic syndrome.Diabetologia. 1991; 34: 416-422
- Epidemic obesity and the metabolic syndrome.Circulation. 2003; 108: 1541-1545
- Metabolic consequences of a family history of NIDDM (the Botnia study): evidence for sex-specific parental effects.Diabetes. 1996; 45: 1585-1593
- Prevalence of ‘hypertriglyceridemic waist’ in men who participated in the Quebec Health Survey: association with atherogenic and diabetogenic metabolic risk factors.Can J Cardiol. 2002; 18: 725-732
- Treatment of obesity: need to focus on high risk abdominally obese patients.BMJ. 2001; 322: 716-720
- A novel pathway to the manifestations of metabolic syndrome.Obes Res. 2003; 12: 180-186
- Adipokines: therapeutic targets for metabolic syndrome.Curr Drug Targets. 2005; 6: 525-529
- Endocrine and signalling role of adipose tissue: new perspectives on fat.Acta Physiol Scand. 2005; 184: 285-293
The Expert Committee on the diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Report of the expert committee on the diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diab Care 1997;20:1183–97.
- Follow-up report on the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus.Diab care. 2003; 26: 3160-3167