To study hepatic gluconeogenesis pathway in non-diabetic Asian Indian males having non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) using in vivo (31P) phosphorous magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) and correlate these data with anthropometry and insulin resistance.
Research design and methods
Forty non-diabetic patients with NAFLD and 20 healthy controls were divided into (i) obese with NAFLD (group I, n = 20), (ii) non-obese with NAFLD (group II, n = 20) and (iii) non-obese without NAFLD (group III, n = 20). Anthropometric and biochemical profiles, short insulin tolerance test (SITT), liver ultrasound, and 31P MRS (to determine hepatic gluconeogenesis metabolite; phosphomonoesters (PMEs), inorganic phosphate (Pi) and their ratios with respect to ATP) were done.
Insulin resistance (Kitt value) was highest in group I (p < 0.05; compared to other two groups), but was also higher in group II as compared to group III (p = ns). The values of PME/Pi, PME/γATP, PME/βATP, PME/tATP ratios were higher (p < 0.05) in group I compared to other two groups. Interestingly, non-obese subjects with NAFLD also showed more derangements of hepatic gluconeogenesis metabolites than non-obese subjects without NAFLD. Positive correlation was observed between PME and other ratios in relation to body mass index, waist circumference, body fat percentage and fasting serum insulin levels in all the three groups.
Derangements in hepatic gluconeogenesis as assessed non-invasively using 31P MRS, was observed in obese and non-obese, non-diabetic Asian Indians with NAFLD. Further research is warranted whether this investigation in NAFLD subjects could be developed as a non-invasive tool to assess those predisposed to develop hyperglycemia.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Atherosclerosis
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Liver morphology in morbid obesity: a literature study.Int J Obes. 1984; 8: 97-106
- Biochemical analysis of hepatic lipid in alcoholic, diabetic and control subjects.Clin Sci. 1983; 65: 645
- Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, insulin resistance, and metabolic syndrome: further evidence for an etiologic association.Hepatology. 2002; 35: 367-372
- Fatty infiltration of liver. Analysis of prevalence, radiological and clinical features and influence on patient management.Br J Radiol. 1992; 65: 774-778
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: predictors of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis and liver fibrosis in severely obese.Gastroenterology. 2001; 121: 91-100
- Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: association of insulin resistance and mitochondrial abnormalities.Gastroenterology. 2001; 120: 1183-1192
- Type 2 diabetes in India: regional disparities.Br J Diab Vasc Dis. 2007; 7: 12-16
- Clinical and pathophysiological consequences of abdominal adiposity and abdominal adipose tissue depots.Nutrition. 2003; 19: 457-466
- The metabolic syndrome in south Asians: continuing escalation & possible solutions.Indian J Med Res. 2007; 125: 345-354
- Editorial: hepatic steatosis, insulin resistance, and adipose tissue disorders.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002; 87: 3019-3022
- Insulin resistance syndrome: current perspective and its relevance in Indians.Indian Heart J. 1998; 50: 385-395
- Insulin resistance and clustering of atherogenic risk factors in women belonging to low socio-economic strata in urban slums of North India.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2002; 56: 73-75
- Insulin resistance syndrome (metabolic syndrome) and obesity in Asian Indians: evidence and implications.Nutrition. 2004; 20: 482-491
- Metabolic syndrome in children: current issues and South Asian perspective.Nutrition. 2007; 23: 895-910
- Hormonal interactions in the regulation of blood glucose.Recent Prog Horm Res. 1979; 35: 501-532
- Hepatic sugar phosphate levels reflect gluconeogenesis in lung cancer: simultaneous turnover measurements and 31P magnetic resonance spectroscopy in vivo.Clin Sci (Lond). 2000; 98: 167-174
- Human hepatic carbohydrate metabolism. Dynamic observation using 13C MRS without proton decoupling.Acta Radiol. 1997; 38: 998-1002
- Evidence for altered hepatic gluconeogenesis in patients with cirrhosis using in vivo 31PMRS.Gut. 2001; 49: 557-564
- Body mass index does not accurately predict overweight in Asian Indians in Northern India.Br J Nutr. 2001; 86: 105-112
- Classification and diagnosis of diabetes and other categories of glucose intolerance.Diabetes. 1979; 28: 1039-1057
- Estimation of the concentration of low density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifugation.Clin Chem. 1972; 18: 499-502
- Implication of recent clinical trials for the National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III Guidelines.Circulation. 2004; 110: 227-239
- Evaluation of insulin sensitivity in clinical practice and in research setting.Nutr Rev. 2003; 61: 397-412
- Is the short insulin tolerance test safe and reproducible?.Diabet Med. 1998; 15: 924-927
- Correlations of C-reactive protein levels with anthropometric profile, percentage of body fat and lipids in healthy adolescents and young adults in urban North India.Atherosclerosis. 2003; 168: 305-313
International Diabetes Federation. The IDF consensus worldwide definition of the metabolic syndrome. Available at http://www.idf.org/webdata/docs/IDF_Metasyndrome_definition.pdf. Accessed June 2007.
- Quantitative hepatic phosphorus-31 magnetic resonance spectroscopy in compensated and decompensated cirrhosis.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2004; 287: G379-G384
- A study of patients with alcoholic liver disease by 31P nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy.Clin Sci (Lond). 1990; 78: 33-38
- Altered hepatic gluconeogenesis during l-alanine infusion in weight-losing lung cancer patients as observed by phosphorus magnetic resonance spectroscopy and turnover measurements.Cancer Res. 2000; 60: 618-623
- Hepatic fat and adenosine triphosphate measurement in overweight and obese adults using 1H and 31P magnetic resonance spectroscopy.Liver Int. 2008; 28: 675-681
- Alterations in liver ATP homeostasis in human nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: a pilot study.JAMA. 1999; 282: 1659-1664
Published online: August 04, 2008
Accepted: June 13, 2008
Received in revised form: June 9, 2008
Received: March 14, 2008
© 2008 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.