Fatty acid (FA) composition in serum has been associated with C-reactive protein (CRP), but associations with other markers of inflammation and endothelial function, e.g. adhesion molecules are unknown. We recently suggested a possible role of the lipogenic enzyme stearoyl coenzymeA desaturase-1 (SCD-1) in inflammation. This study investigates the associations between serum FA composition, including SCD-1 index, and various inflammatory and endothelial function markers.
264 Swedish men and women aged 70 years participated in this cross-sectional population-based study. FA composition was measured in serum cholesteryl esters and was correlated to inflammatory markers (CRP, interleukin [IL]-2, IL-6, IL-8, tumor necrosis factor [TNF]-α, vascular cellular adhesion molecule [VCAM]-1, intercellular adhesion molecule [ICAM]-1, E-selectin, P-selectin, L-selectin, interferon-γ, and monocyte chemoattractant protein [MCP]-1), using linear regression analysis. SCD-1 activity was estimated by FA product-to-precursor ratio (16:1/16:0).
Serum FA composition was significantly associated with CRP and E-selectin but not with other inflammatory markers. After adjusting for BMI, smoking, physical activity, alcohol consumption and lipid-lowering therapy, the proportion of palmitoleic acid and SCD-1 index were positively correlated with CRP concentrations (P = 0.003 and P = 0.001, respectively).
A FA composition reflecting high intake of saturated fat and a high SCD-1 index is independently related to CRP concentrations, but not to other markers of inflammation and endothelial function in this population of elderly men and women. Given the absent association between FA composition and the other markers, CRP may be the preferable marker to use when investigating potential relationships between FAs and low-grade inflammation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Atherosclerosis
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Circulating markers of inflammation and atherosclerosis.Atherosclerosis. 2003; : 203-214
- New markers of inflammation and endothelial cell activation. Part I.Circulation. 2003; 108: 1917-1923
- Dietary fatty acids affect plasma markers of inflammation in healthy men fed controlled diets: a randomized crossover study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2004; 79: 969-973
- Fatty acid composition of serum lipid fractions in relation to gender and quality of dietary fat.Ann Med. 1995; 27: 491-498
- Plasma fatty acid composition as an indicator of habitual dietary fat intake in middle-aged adults. The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study Investigators.Am J Clin Nutr. 1995; 62: 564-571
- Fatty acids in serum cholesteryl esters as quantitative biomarkers of dietary intake in humans.Am J Epidemiol. 1997; 145: 1114-1122
- Desaturation and elongation of fatty acids and insulin action.Ann NY Acad Sci. 2002; 967: 183-195
- Serum fatty acid composition and indices of stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity are associated with systemic inflammation: longitudinal analyses in middle-aged men.Br J Nutr. 2008; 99: 1186-1189
- A comparison of three different methods to evaluate endothelium-dependent vasodilation in the elderly: the Prospective Investigation of the Vasculature in Uppsala Seniors (PIVUS) study.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005; 25: 2368-2375
- Development of a high-throughput automated analyzer using biochip array technology.Clin Chem. 2005; 51: 1165-1176
- Effects of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids on estimated desaturase activities during a controlled dietary intervention.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2008;
- Stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 mediates the pro-lipogenic effects of dietary saturated fat.J Biol Chem. 2007; 282: 2483-2493
- Parallel activation of de novo lipogenesis and stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity after 3 d of high-carbohydrate feeding.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 87: 817-823
- Palmitate, but not unsaturated fatty acids, induces the expression of interleukin-6 in human myotubes through proteasome-dependent activation of nuclear factor-kappaB.J Biol Chem. 2004; 279: 23942-23952
- Palmitate activates the NF-kappaB transcription factor and induces IL-6 and TNFalpha expression in 3T3-L1 adipocytes.J Nutr. 2005; 135: 1841-1846
- Chemokines in cardiovascular risk prediction.Thromb Haemost. 2007; 97: 748-754
- Fatty acid composition of serum lipids predicts the development of the metabolic syndrome in men.Diabetologia. 2005; 48: 1999-2005
- The risk to develop NIDDM is related to the fatty acid composition of the serum cholesterol esters.Diabetes. 1994; 43: 1353-1357
- Dyslipidemia and an unfavorable fatty acid profile predict left ventricular hypertrophy 20 years later.Circulation. 2001; 103: 836-841
- The serum cholesterol ester fatty acid composition but not the serum concentration of alpha tocopherol predicts the development of myocardial infarction in 50-year-old men: 19 years follow-up.Atherosclerosis. 1996; 127: 65-71
- Insulin resistance, inflammation, and serum fatty acid composition.Diabetes Care. 2003; 26: 1362-1368
- Plasma fatty acid composition is associated with the metabolic syndrome and low-grade inflammation in overweight adolescents.Am J Clin Nutr. 2005; 82: 1178-1184
- Relationship of plasma polyunsaturated fatty acids to circulating inflammatory markers.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006; 91: 439-446
- Effects of omega-3 fatty acids on serum markers of cardiovascular disease risk: a systematic review.Atherosclerosis. 2006; 189: 19-30
- Rosiglitazone increases indexes of stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity in humans: link to insulin sensitization and the role of dominant-negative mutation in peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma.Diabetes. 2005; 54: 1379-1384
- Discovery of potent, selective, orally bioavailable stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 inhibitors.J Med Chem. 2007; 50: 3086-3100
- Relationship between stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity and plasma triglycerides in human and mouse hypertriglyceridemia.J Lipid Res. 2002; 43: 1899-1907
Published online: August 07, 2008
Accepted: June 21, 2008
Received in revised form: June 12, 2008
Received: January 14, 2008
© 2008 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.