Apolipoprotein E (ApoE) genotype has been associated with systemic inflammation and athero-thrombosis however the association with abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) has not been previously examined. We assessed the association between ApoE genotype with AAA presence and growth, and serum C-reactive protein (CRP).
Serum concentrations of CRP (in 1358 men) and 6 single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) for ApoE (in 1711 men) were examined in subjects from the Health In Men Study. 640 men with small AAAs were followed by ultrasound surveillance for a mean of 4.1 years.
There was no association between ApoE genotype and AAA presence. Men heterozygote for the ApoE p.Arg176Cys polymorphism had slower AAA growth, odds ratio for AAA progression ≥ median 0.41, 95% confidence intervals 0.21–0.80, p = 0.01. Men heterozygote for the ApoE g.50093756A > G polymorphism had slightly more rapid AAA growth, odds ratio for AAA progression ≥ median 1.48, 95% confidence intervals 1.02–2.14, p = 0.04. None of the ApoE SNPs were associated with AAA growth however taking into account multiple testing. Two SNPs in ApoE were associated with serum CRP under a co-dominant model, ApoE p.Cys130Arg (SNP ID rs429358), p = 0.00003 and ApoE g.50114786A > G (SNP ID rs4420638), p = 0.00013. Adjusting for other risk factors plus serum creatinine the ɛ4 allele was associated with lower serum CRP under a dominant model, coefficient 0.089, p = 0.002.
We found no consistent association between ApoE genotype and AAA. We confirmed an association between ApoE genotype and serum CRP.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Atherosclerosis
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Regulation of endogenous apolipoprotein E secretion by macrophages.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2008; 28: 1060-1067
- Apolipoprotein E far more than a lipid transport protein.Annu Rev Genom Hum Genet. 2000; 1: 507-537
- Consistent effects of genes involved in reverse cholesterol transport on plasma lipid and apolipoprotein levels in CARDIA participants.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2006; 26: 1828-1836
- Qualitative and quantitative effects of APOE genetic variation on plasma C-reactive protein. LDL-cholesterol, and apoE protein.Genes Immun. 2006; 7: 211-219
- Apolipoprotein E genotype and statins affect CRP levels through independent and different mechanisms: AGES-Reykjavik Study.Atherosclerosis. 2006; 186: 222-224
- Heritability and expression of C-reactive protein in type 2 diabetes in the Diabetes Heart Study.Ann Hum Genet. 2006; 70: 717-725
- Apolipoprotein E genotype and circulating interleukin-10 levels in patients with stable and unstable coronary artery disease.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006; 48: 2471-2481
- The apolipoprotein E polymorphism is associated with circulating C-reactive protein (the Ludwigshafen risk and cardiovascular health study).Eur Heart J. 2004; 25: 2109-2119
- Association of apolipoprotein E genotypes with lipid levels and coronary risk.JAMA. 2007; 298: 1300-1311
- Meta-analysis: apolipoprotein E genotypes and risk for coronary heart disease.Ann Intern Med. 2004; 141: 137-147
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm: pathogenesis and implications for management.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2006; 26: 2605-2613
- Angiotensin II promotes atherosclerotic lesions and aneurysms in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice.J Clin Invest. 2000; 105: 1605-1612
- Apolipoprotein E genotype is associated with differential expansion rates of small abdominal aortic aneurysms.Br J Surg. 2000; 87: 760-765
- The role of apolipoprotein E and lipoprotein receptors in modulating the in vivo metabolism of polipoprotein B-containing lipoproteins in humans.Clin Chem. 1988; 34: B28-32
- Association between the APOE*4 allele and atherosclerosis is age dependent among Argentine males.Hum Biol. 2005; 77: 247-256
- Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm: lessons from a population-based study.Med J Aust. 2000; 173: 345-350
- Impact of screening on mortality from abdominal aortic aneurysm: results of a large, population-based randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2004; 329: 1259-1262
- Obesity, adipokines, and abdominal aortic aneurysm: health in men study.Circulation. 2007; 116: 2275-2279
- Cohort Profile: the Health In Men Study (HIMS).Int J Epidemiol. 2009; 38: 48-52
- C-reactive protein levels and the expansion of screen-detected abdominal aortic aneurysms in men.Circulation. 2004; 110: 862-866
- Possible association between genetic polymorphisms in transforming growth factor beta receptors, serum transforming growth factor beta1 concentration and abdominal aortic aneurysm.Br J Surg. 2009; 96: 628-632
- Expression of heterologous human apolipoprotein E by J774 macrophages enhances cholesterol efflux to HDL3.J Lipid Res. 1994; 35: 1345-1353
- Apolipoprotein E suppresses the type I inflammatory response in vivo.Circ Res. 2005; 97: 922-927
- Modulation of plasma triglyceride levels by apoE phenotype: a meta-analysis.J Lipid Res. 1992; 33: 447-454
- Association of high sensitive C-reactive protein with apolipoprotein E polymorphism in children and young adults: the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study.Clin Chem Lab Med. 2008; 46: 179-186
- Loci related to metabolic-syndrome pathways including LEPR, HNF1A, IL6R, and GCKR associate with plasma C-reactive protein: the Women's Genome Health Study.Am J Hum Genet. 2008; 82: 1185-1192
- Continuously-infused human C-reactive protein is neither proatherosclerotic nor proinflammatory in apolipoprotein e-deficient mice.Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2009; 234: 624-631
- Apolipoprotein E genotype and sex influence C-reactive protein levels regardless of exercise training status.Metabolism. 2008; 57: 1204-1210
- Heritability of serum hs-CRP concentration and 5-year changes in the Stanislas family study: association with apolipoprotein E alleles.Genes Immun. 2007; 8: 352-359
- Apolipoprotein E genotype is related to plasma levels of C-reactive protein and lipids and to longevity in nonagenarians.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2006; 64: 265-270
Published online: October 12, 2009
Accepted: September 18, 2009
Received in revised form: September 10, 2009
Received: July 7, 2009
© 2009 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.