Oxidative stress is a main mechanism involved in vascular pathologies. Increased thioredoxin (TRX) levels have been observed in several oxidative stress-associated cardiovascular diseases. We aim to test the potential role of TRX as a biomarker of oxidative stress in abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA).
TRX levels were analysed in both AAA intraluminal thrombus (ILT) tissue and in tissue-conditioned media by immunohistochemistry, Western blot and ELISA. Moreover, serum TRX levels were assessed in AAA Caucasian patients by ELISA.
TRX was mainly localized in the luminal part of ILT in AAA. Compared with the abluminal layer, TRX release was increased in the luminal layer of the ILT of AAA (31 ± 9 ng/ml vs. 9 ± 3 ng/ml, p < 0.05). The interest of this approach is that we can identify proteins potentially released into the blood compartment, which could serve as biomarkers of the pathology. In a training population, serum TRX levels were significantly increased in patients with AAA relative to healthy subjects (50 ± 6 ng/ml vs. 26 ± 3 ng/ml, p < 0.05). These results were validated in a second independent group of patients. Moreover, a positive correlation between TRX and AAA size (rho = 0.5, p < 0.001) was observed. Finally, in AAA samples with follow-up, TRX was positively associated to aneurismal growth rate (rho = 0.25, p = 0.027).
TRX release is increased in the luminal part of AAA and TRX serum levels are increased in AAA patients compared with healthy subjects. TRX levels correlates with AAA size and expansion, suggesting its potential role as a biomarker of AAA evolution.
Abbreviations:TRX (thioredoxin), AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm), RBCs (red blood cells), PMNs (polymorphonuclear neutrophils), MPO (myeloperoxidase), MIF (macrophage inhibitory factor)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Atherosclerosis
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Vascular surgical procedures in Denmark 1996–2004 (Karkirurgiske procedurer i Danmark 1996–2004).Ugeskr Laeger. 2007; 169: 4066-4070
- Final 12-year follow-up of surgery versus surveillance in the UK Small Aneurysm Trial.Br J Surg. 2007; 94: 702-708
- Medical management of small abdominal aortic aneurysms.Circulation. 2008; 117: 1883-1889
- Circulating markers of abdominal aortic aneurysm presence and progression.Circulation. 2008; 118: 2382-2392
- Plasma thioredoxin levels in patients with unstable angina.Int J Cardiol. 2005; 99: 225-231
- Plasma thioredoxin levels and platelet aggregability in patients with acute myocardial infarction.Am Heart J. 2003; 146: 465-471
- Thioredoxin in coronary culprit lesions: possible relationship to oxidative stress and intraplaque hemorrhage.Atherosclerosis. 2008; 201: 360-367
- Reduced immunoregulatory CD31+ T cells in patients with atherosclerotic abdominal aortic aneurysm.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2006; 26: 618-623
- Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysms: single centre randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2005; 330: 750
- The validity of ultrasonographic scanning as screening method for abdominal aortic aneurysm.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 1999; 17: 472-475
- Low plasma levels of HSP70 in patients with carotid atherosclerosis are associated with increased levels of proteolytic markers of neutrophil activation.Atherosclerosis. 2007; 194: 334-341
- Contrasting outcomes of atheroma evolution: intimal accumulation versus medial destruction.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2001; 21: 1389-1392
- Role of leukocyte elastase in preventing cellular re-colonization of the mural thrombus.Am J Pathol. 2004; 164: 2077-2087
- Thioredoxin-linked peroxidase from human red blood cell: evidence for the existence of thioredoxin and thioredoxin reductase in human red blood cell.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1995; 217: 900-907
- Malondialdehyde as an indicator of oxidative stress during abdominal aortic aneurysm repair.Angiology. 2007; 58: 477-482
- Oxidative stress in human abdominal aortic aneurysms: a potential mediator of aneurysmal remodeling.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2002; 22: 560-565
- A proteomic study of the aortic media in human thoracic aortic dissection: implication for oxidative stress.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2008; 136 (72.e1-3): 65-72
- Secretion of thioredoxin by normal and neoplastic cells through a leaderless secretory pathway.J Biol Chem. 1992; 267: 24161-24164
- Increased plasma thioredoxin in patients with acute myocardial infarction.Clin Cardiol. 2003; 26: 583-587
- Association between myeloperoxidase levels and risk of coronary artery disease.JAMA. 2001; 286: 2136-2142
- Demonstration of the interaction of thioredoxin with p40phox, a phagocyte oxidase component, using a yeast two-hybrid system.Immunol Lett. 1999; 68: 155-159
- Thioredoxin reductase regulates the induction of hemo oxygenase-1 expression in aortic endothelial cells.Biochem J. 2006; 394: 207-216
- Extracellular human thioredoxin-1 inhibits lipopolysaccharide-induced interleukin-1beta expression in human monocyte-derived macrophages.J Biol Chem. 2005; 280: 40310-40318
- Human thioredoxin-1 ameliorates experimental murine colitis in association with suppressed macrophage inhibitory factor production.Gastroenterology. 2006; 131: 1110-1121
- Macrophage migration inhibitory factor is associated with aneurysmal expansion.J Vasc Surg. 2003; 37: 628-635
- Circulating thioredoxin suppresses lipopolysaccharide-induced neutrophil chemotaxis.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2001; 98: 15143-15148
- Thioredoxin-1 ameliorates myosin-induced autoimmune myocarditis by suppressing chemokine expressions and leukocyte chemotaxis in mice.Circulation. 2004; 110: 1276-1283
- Thioredoxin-1 ameliorates cigarette smoke-induced lung inflammation and emphysema in mice.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2008; 325: 380-388
- Effect of blocking platelet activation with AZD6140 on development of abdominal aortic aneurysm in a rat aneurysmal model.J Vasc Surg. 2009; 49: 719-727
- Low-dose aspirin may prevent growth and later surgical repair of medium-sized abdominal aortic aneurysms.Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2008; 42: 329-334
Published online: July 08, 2010
Accepted: May 19, 2010
Received in revised form: May 11, 2010
Received: January 9, 2010
© 2010 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.