- CHC patients have an earlier and a higher prevalence of atherosclerosis than general population.
- HCV RNA and HCV-related steatosis are the independent factors associated with atherosclerosis.
- HCV and steatosis promote atherogenesis through inflammation and metabolic changes.
- CHC patients should be screened routinely for asymptomatic atherosclerosis.
Abbreviations:CHC (chronic hepatitis C), IMT (carotid intima-media thickness), HOMA-IR (homeostatic model assessment), IR (insulin resistance), HCV (hepatitis C virus), HCV RNA (hepatitis C virus RNA), HAI (histological activity index), CRP (C reactive protein)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Epidemiology of hepatitis C: geographic differences and temporal trends.Semin Liver Dis. 2000; 20: 1-16
- Association between hepatitis C virus seropositivity, carotid-artery plaque, and intima-media thickening.Lancet. 2002; 359: 133-135
- Association between hepatitis C virus core protein and carotid atherosclerosis.Circ J. 2003; 67: 26-30
- Evidence for association between hepatitis C virus seropositivity and coronary artery disease.Heart. 2004; 90: 565-566
- Differences and similarities in early atherosclerosis between patients with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis and chronic hepatitis B and C.J Hepatol. 2007; 46: 1126-1132
- Hepatitis B and C virus infection and the risk of atherosclerosis in a general population.Atherosclerosis. 2004; 174: 99-103
- No association between hepatitis C virus seropositivity and acute myocardial infarction.Clin Infect Dis. 2006; 43: 53-56
- Hepatitis C virus RNA localization in human carotid plaques.J Clin Virol. 2010; 47: 72-75
- Hepatic steatosis is associated with an increased risk of carotid atherosclerosis.World J Gastroenterol. 2005; 11: 1848-1853
- Carotid artery intima-media thickness in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Am J Med. 2008; 121: 72-78
- Fatty liver is associated with insulin resistance, risk of coronary heart disease, and early atherosclerosis in a large European population.Hepatology. 2009; 49: 1537-1544
- Steatosis accelerates the progression of liver damage of chronic hepatitis C patients and correlates with specific HCV genotype and visceral obesity.Hepatology. 2001; 33: 1358-1364
- Steatosis and hepatitis C virus: mechanisms and significance for hepatic and extrahepatic disease.Gastroenterology. 2004; 126: 586-597
- Hyperhomocysteinemia and the MTHFR C677T polymorphism promote steatosis and fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C patients.Hepatology. 2005; 41: 995-1003
- Hepatic steatosis and insulin resistance are associated with serum imbalance of adiponectin/tumour necrosis factor-alpha in chronic hepatitis C patients.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2006; 24: 1349-1357
- Interplay between oxidative stress and hepatic steatosis in the progression of chronic hepatitis C.J Hepatol. 2008; 48: 399-406
- Obesity and steatosis influence serum and hepatic inflammatory markers in chronic hepatitis C.Hepatology. 2008; 48: 80-87
- Metabolic alterations and chronic hepatitis C: treatment strategies.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2011; 12: 2215-2234
- Comment on the provisional report from the WHO consultation.Diabet Med. 1999; 16: 442-443
- Executive summary of the third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (Adult Treatment Panel III).JAMA. 2001; 285: 2486-2497
- Histological grading and staging of chronic hepatitis.J Hepatol. 1995; 22: 696-699
- Mannheim carotid intima-media thickness consensus (2004–2006).Cerebrovasc Dis. 2007; 23: 75-80
- Carotid-artery intima and media thickness as a risk factor for myocardial infarction and stroke in older adults.N Engl J Med. 1999; 340: 14-22
- Ultrasound determined intima-media thickness and atherosclerosis. Direct and indirect validation.Arterioscler Thromb. 1994; 14: 261-264
- Intima media thickness: a new tool for diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular risk.J Hypertens. 2002; 20: 159-169
- The relationship between C-reactive protein and carotid intima-media wall thickness in middle-aged women with polycystic ovary syndrome.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004; 89: 6061-6067
- Carotid wall thickness is predictive of incident clinical stroke: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study.Am J Epidemiol. 2000; 151: 478-487
- Prediction of clinical cardiovascular events with carotid intima-media thickness: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Circulation. 2007; 115: 459-467
- Hepatitis C virus infection and the risk of coronary disease.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 49: 225-232
- C-reactive protein but not soluble CD40 ligand and homocysteine is associated to common atherosclerotic risk factors in a cohort of coronary artery disease patients.Clin Biochem. 2009; 42: 1713-1718
- Effect of hepatitis C virus on cardiovascular risk in infected patients: a comparative study.Int J Cardiol. 2011; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Hepatic steatosis and insulin resistance: does etiology make a difference.J Hepatol. 2006; 44: 190-196