Methods and results
- We evaluate Tregs based on Treg-specific DNA demethylation within the FOXP3 gene.
- Reduction in Treg cells is associated with ACS in atherosclerotic patients.
- Ox-LDL suppressed the expression of FOXP3 by triggering DNA hypermethylation.
- Epigenetic suppression of FOXP3 might down-regulate Tregs, increase the risk of ACS.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Heart disease and stroke statistics–2008 update: a report from the American heart association statistics committee and stroke statistics subcommittee.Circulation. 2008; 117: e25-146
- Inflammation, atherosclerosis, and coronary artery disease.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 1685-1695
- Naturally arising foxp3-expressing cd25+cd4+ regulatory t cells in immunological tolerance to self and non-self.Nat Immunol. 2005; 6: 345-352
- Mechanisms of disease: the evolving role of regulatory t cells in atherosclerosis.Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med. 2008; 5: 531-540
- Natural regulatory t cells control the development of atherosclerosis in mice.Nat Med. 2006; 12: 178-180
- Differential effects of regulatory t cells on the initiation and regression of atherosclerosis.Atherosclerosis. 2011; 218: 53-60
- Local delivery of il-2 reduces atherosclerosis via expansion of regulatory t cells.Atherosclerosis. 2012; 220: 329-336
- Oral anti-cd3 antibody treatment induces regulatory t cells and inhibits the development of atherosclerosis in mice.Circulation. 2009; 120: 1996-2005
- Regulatory t cells ameliorate hyperhomocysteinaemia-accelerated atherosclerosis in apoe-/- mice.Cardiovasc Res. 2009; 84: 155-163
- Altered status of cd4(+)cd25(+) regulatory t cells in patients with acute coronary syndromes.Eur Heart J. 2006; 27: 2530-2537
- The th17/treg imbalance in patients with acute coronary syndrome.Clin Immunol. 2008; 127: 89-97
- Low numbers of foxp3 positive regulatory t cells are present in all developmental stages of human atherosclerotic lesions.PLoS One. 2007; 2: e779
- Circulating cd4+cd25hicd127lo regulatory t-cell levels do not reflect the extent or severity of carotid and coronary atherosclerosis.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010; 30: 1832-1841
- Rethinking how DNA methylation patterns are maintained.Nat Rev Genet. 2009; 10: 805-811
- Methylation of the estrogen receptor gene is associated with aging and atherosclerosis in the cardiovascular system.Cardiovasc Res. 1999; 43: 985-991
- Tissue factor pathway inhibitor-2 gene methylation is associated with low expression in carotid atherosclerotic plaques.Atherosclerosis. 2009; 204: e4-14
- Detection of altered global DNA methylation in coronary artery disease patients.DNA Cell Biol. 2008; 27: 357-365
- Impact of inflammation on epigenetic DNA methylation – a novel risk factor for cardiovascular disease?.J Intern Med. 2007; 261: 488-499
- DNA demethylation in the human foxp3 locus discriminates regulatory t cells from activated foxp3(+) conventional t cells.Eur J Immunol. 2007; 37: 2378-2389
- Epigenetic control of the foxp3 locus in regulatory t cells.PLoS Biol. 2007; 5: e38
- Epigenetic control of foxp3 expression: the key to a stable regulatory t-cell lineage?.Nat Rev Immunol. 2009; 9: 83-89
- Epigenetic regulation of foxp3 expression in regulatory t cells by DNA methylation.J Immunol. 2009; 182: 259-273
- Comparison of stable human treg and th clones by transcriptional profiling.Eur J Immunol. 2009; 39: 869-882
- Quantitative DNA methylation analysis of foxp3 as a new method for counting regulatory t cells in peripheral blood and solid tissue.Cancer Res. 2009; 69: 599-608
- Frequency of circulating tregs with demethylated foxp3 intron 1 in melanoma patients receiving tumor vaccines and potentially treg-depleting agents.Clin Cancer Res. 2011; 17: 841-848
- A new method of scoring coronary angiograms to reflect extent of coronary atherosclerosis and improve correlation with major risk factors.Am Heart J. 1990; 119: 1262-1267
- Rapamycin promotes expansion of functional cd4+cd25+foxp3+ regulatory t cells of both healthy subjects and type 1 diabetic patients.J Immunol. 2006; 177: 8338-8347
- Regulatory t cell lineage specification by the forkhead transcription factor foxp3.Immunity. 2005; 22: 329-341
- Instability of the transcription factor foxp3 leads to the generation of pathogenic memory t cells in vivo.Nat Immunol. 2009; 10: 1000-1007
- Matured human monocyte-derived dendritic cells (modcs) induce expansion of cd4+cd25+foxp3+ t cells lacking regulatory properties.Immunol Lett. 2008; 117: 106-113
- Naturally arising cd4+ regulatory t cells for immunologic self-tolerance and negative control of immune responses.Annu Rev Immunol. 2004; 22: 531-562
- Creb/atf-dependent t cell receptor-induced foxp3 gene expression: a role for DNA methylation.J Exp Med. 2007; 204: 1543-1551
- Epigenetic inheritance of DNA methylation limits activation-induced expression of foxp3 in conventional human cd25-cd4+ t cells.Int Immunol. 2008; 20: 1041-1055
- Different effects of homocysteine and oxidized low density lipoprotein on methylation status in the promoter region of the estrogen receptor alpha gene.Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai). 2007; 39: 19-26
- Altered status of CD4(+)CD25(+) regulatory T cells in patients with acute coronary syndromes.Eur Heart J. 2006; 27: 2530-2537
- Role of naturally occurring CD4+ CD25+ regulatory T cells in experimental atherosclerosis.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007; 27: 893-900
- Wu D.Epigallocatechin-3-gallate ameliorates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by altering balance among CD4+ T-cell subsets.Am J Pathol. 2012; 180: 221-234
- Induction of regulatory T cells by green tea polyphenol EGCG.Immunol Lett. 2011; 139: 7-13
- DNA methylation controls foxp3 gene expression.Eur J Immunol. 2008; 38: 1654-1663