Methods and results
- Chronic (long-term) Zn deprivation accelerated VSMC proliferation.
- Zn deprivation-induced VSMC proliferation was associated with decreased JNK levels.
- Anti-proliferative effect of Zn was found to be VSMC-specific.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Molecular regulation of vascular smooth muscle cell differentiation in development and disease.Physiol Rev. 2004; 84: 767-801
- Control of cell proliferation in atherosclerosis: insights from animal models and human studies.Cardiovasc Res. 2010; 86: 254-264
- Syndromes of accelerated atherosclerosis: role of vascular injury and smooth muscle cell proliferation.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1990; 15: 1667-1687
- The biochemical basis of zinc physiology.Physiol Rev. 1993; 73: 79-118
- Zinc deficiency affects cell cycle and deoxythymidine kinase gene expression in HUT-78 cells.J Lab Clin Med. 1996; 128: 51-60
- The role of zinc in growth and cell proliferation.J Nutr. 2000; 130: 1500S-1508S
- Decline in somatomedin-C (insulin-like growth factor-1) with experimentally induced zinc deficiency in human subjects.Clin Nutr. 1991; 10: 284-291
- Role of insulin-like growth factor-1 and growth hormone in growth inhibition by magnesium and zinc deficiencies.Br J Nutr. 1991; 66: 505-521
- Functions of zinc in signaling, proliferation and differentiation of mammalian cells.Biometals. 2001; 14: 331-341
- Transient fluctuations of intracellular zinc ions in cell proliferation.Exp Cell Res. 2009; 315: 2463-2470
- Low serum zinc concentrations predict mortality in patients referred to coronary angiography.Br J Nutr. 2009; 101: 1534-1540
- Epidemiologic study of trace elements and magnesium on risk of coronary artery disease in rural and urban Indian populations.J Am Coll Nutr. 1997; 16: 62-67
- Pro-inflammatory genetic background and zinc status in old atherosclerotic subjects.Ageing Res Rev. 2008; 7: 306-316
- Zinc supplementation decreases the development of atherosclerosis in rabbits.Free Radic Biol Med. 2006; 41: 222-225
- Dietary zinc intake is inversely related to subclinical atherosclerosis measured by carotid intima-media thickness.Br J Nutr. 2010; 104: 1202-1211
- Zinc reduces intimal hyperplasia in the rat carotid injury model.Atherosclerosis. 2004; 175: 229-234
- Suboptimal dietary zinc intake promotes vascular inflammation and atherogenesis in a mouse model of atherosclerosis.Mol Nutr Food Res. 2012; 56: 1097-1105
- Aorta protein networks in marginal and acute zinc deficiency.Proteomics. 2008; 8: 2126-2135
- The primary structure of MEK, a protein kinase that phosphorylates the ERK gene product.Science. 1992; 258: 478-480
- Vascular calcification: in vitro evidence for the role of inorganic phosphate.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2003; 14: S300-S304
- Zinc deficiency suppresses matrix mineralization and retards osteogenesis transiently with catch-up possibly through Runx2 modulation.Bone. 2010; 46: 732-741
- Vascular proliferation and atherosclerosis: new perspectives and therapeutic strategies.Nat Med. 2002; 8: 1249-1256
- Macrophage and smooth muscle cell proliferation in atherosclerotic lesions of WHHL and comparably hypercholesterolemic fat-fed rabbits.Arteriosclerosis. 1990; 10: 680-687
- Proliferation of smooth muscle cells after vascular injury is inhibited by an antibody against basic fibroblast growth factor.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991; 88: 3739-3743
- Zinc: mechanisms of host defense.J Nutr. 2007; 137: 1345-1349
- Zinc induces cell cycle arrest and apoptosis by upregulation of WIG-1 in esophageal squamous cancer cell line EC109.Tumour Biol. 2011; 32: 801-808
- Effects of copper-zinc type superoxide dismutase on the proliferation and migration of cultured vascular smooth muscle cells induced by oxidized low density lipoprotein.J Atheroscler Thromb. 1997; 4: 79-84
- Redox control of vascular smooth muscle proliferation.J Lab Clin Med. 1998; 132: 9-15
- Reactive oxygen species signaling in vascular smooth muscle cells.Cardiovasc Res. 2006; 71: 216-225
- Zinc finger transcription factors in skeletal development.Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2004; 15: 187-197
- Vascular smooth muscle cells and calcification in atherosclerosis.Am Heart J. 2004; 147: 808-814
- Signal transducers and activators of transcription (STATs): novel targets of chemopreventive and chemotherapeutic drugs.Curr Cancer Drug Targets. 2006; 6: 107-121