Methods and results
- HDL protect against lethal ischemia reperfusion injury.
- HDL induce cardioprotection by preserving mitochondrial integrity.
- TNFα and STAT3 are required for HDL-induced cardioprotection.
Abbreviations:IRI (ischemia reperfusion injury), HDL (high density lipoproteins), TNF (tumor necrosis factor alpha), STAT3 (signal transducer and activator of transcription 3), VDAC (voltage-dependent anion selective channel), mPTP (mitochondrial permeability transition pore), SAFE (survivor activating factor enhancement)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- High density lipoproteins and coronary heart disease.Atherosclerosis. 1996; 121: 1-12
- HDL and arteriosclerosis: beyond reverse cholesterol transport.Atherosclerosis. 2002; 161: 1-16
- High-density lipoproteins protect isolated rat hearts from ischemia-reperfusion injury by reducing cardiac tumor necrosis factor-alpha content and enhancing prostaglandin release.Circ Res. 2003; 92: 330-337
- High-density lipoproteins and their constituent, sphingosine-1-phosphate, directly protect the heart against ischemia/reperfusion injury in vivo via the S1P3 lysophospholipid receptor.Circulation. 2006; 114: 1403-1409
- High-density lipoprotein determines adult mouse cardiomyocyte fate after hypoxia-reoxygenation through lipoprotein-associated sphingosine 1-phosphate.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010; 298: H1022-H1028
- Native and reconstituted HDL protect cardiomyocytes from doxorubicin-induced apoptosis.Cardiovasc Res. 2010; 85: 118-126
- Activation of the protective Survivor Activating Factor Enhancement (SAFE) pathway against reperfusion injury: does it go beyond the RISK pathway?.J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2009; 47: 32-40
- Ischaemic postconditioning protects against reperfusion injury via the SAFE pathway.Cardiovasc Res. 2009; 84: 201-208
- Native and reconstituted HDL activate Stat3 in ventricular cardiomyocytes via ERK1/2: role of sphingosine-1-phosphate.Cardiovasc Res. 2009; 82: 313-323
- The role of mitochondria in protection of the heart by preconditioning.Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007; 1767: 1007-1031
- Function of mitochondrial Stat3 in cellular respiration.Science. 2009; 323: 793-797
- Inhibition of permeability transition pore opening by mitochondrial STAT3 and its role in myocardial ischemia/reperfusion.Basic Res Cardiol. 2010; 105: 771-785
- Leptin-induced cardioprotection involves JAK/STAT signaling that may be linked to the mitochondrial permeability transition pore.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010; 299: H1265-H1270
- Genetic depletion of cardiac myocyte STAT-3 abolishes classical preconditioning.Cardiovasc Res. 2004; 63: 611-616
- Characterization of tumor necrosis factor-deficient mice.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997; 94: 8093-8098
- Immunoaffinity fractionation of high-density lipoprotein subclasses 2 and 3 using anti-apolipoprotein A-I and A-II immunosorbent gels.Biochim Biophys Acta. 1989; 1002: 292-301
- Pharmacological preconditioning with tumor necrosis factor-alpha activates signal transducer and activator of transcription-3 at reperfusion without involving classic prosurvival kinases (Akt and extracellular signal-regulated kinase).Circulation. 2005; 112: 3911-3918
- Mice deficient in mitochondrial glycerol-3-phosphate acyltransferase-1 have diminished myocardial triacylglycerol accumulation during lipogenic diet and altered phospholipid fatty acid composition.Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008; 1781: 352-358
- The natural cardioprotective particle HDL modulates connexin43 gap junction channels.Cardiovasc Res. 2012; 93: 41-49
- Is red wine a SAFE sip away from cardioprotection? Mechanisms involved in resveratrol- and melatonin-induced cardioprotection.J Pineal Res. 2011; 50: 374-380
- Signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 is involved in the cardioprotective signalling pathway activated by insulin therapy at reperfusion.Basic Res Cardiol. 2008; 103: 444-453
- Identification of a novel role for sphingolipid signaling in TNF alpha and ischemic preconditioning mediated cardioprotection.J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2002; 34: 509-518
- TNFα protects cardiac mitochondria independently of its cell surface receptors.Basic Res Cardiol. 2010; 105: 751-762
- Mitochondrial STAT3 activation and cardioprotection by ischemic postconditioning in pigs with regional myocardial ischemia/reperfusion.Circ Res. 2011; 109: 1302-1308
- Mitochondrial-targeted Signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3) protects against ischemia-induced changes in the electron transport chain and the generation of reactive oxygen species.J Biol Chem. 2011; 286: 29610-29620
- Interplay between SAFE and RISK pathways in sphingosine-1-phosphate-induced cardioprotection.Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2012; 26: 227-237
- Correlation of high density lipoprotein (HDL)-associated sphingosine 1-phosphate with serum levels of HDL-cholesterol and apolipoproteins.Atherosclerosis. 2005; 178: 199-205
- High density lipoprotein/sphingosine-1 phosphate-induced cardioprotection: role of STAT3 as part of the SAFE pathway.JAK/STAT. 2012; 1: 92-100