Design and methods
- Body size was measured in both childhood (7–15 years) and adulthood (26–36 years).
- We examined their relationships with adult vascular health.
- Large artery stiffness primarily depended on adult obesity.
- Large artery stiffness was worst for normal weight children who became obese as adults.
- Intima-media thickness was influenced by obesity in both childhood and adulthood.
Abbreviations:LAS (large artery stiffness), IMT (intima-media thickness), CD (carotid distensibility), SI (stiffness index), YEM (Young's elastic modulus)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Association between multiple cardiovascular risk factors and atherosclerosis in children and young adults. The Bogalusa Heart Study.N Engl J Med. 1998 Jun 4; 338: 1650-1656
- Childhood risk factors for adult cardiovascular disease and primary prevention in childhood.Heart. 2006 Nov; 92: 1701-1706
- Increased carotid intima-media thickness and stiffness in obese children.Diabetes Care. 2004 Oct; 27: 2506-2508
- Overweight in children is associated with arterial endothelial dysfunction and intima-media thickening.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004 Jul; 28: 852-857
- Stiffness of systemic arteries in patients with myocardial infarction. A noninvasive method to predict severity of coronary atherosclerosis.Circulation. 1989 Jul; 80: 78-86
- Non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and fasting glucose and insulin concentrations are associated with arterial stiffness indexes. The ARIC Study. Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study.Circulation. 1995 Mar 1; 91: 1432-1443
- Prediction of clinical cardiovascular events with carotid intima-media thickness: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Circulation. 2007 Jan 30; 115: 459-467
- Implications of childhood obesity for adult health: findings from thousand families cohort study.BMJ. 2001 Dec 1; 323: 1280-1284
- Change in body mass index from adolescence to young adulthood and increased carotid intima-media thickness at 28 years of age: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Young Adults study.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2003 Nov; 27: 1383-1390
- Cardiovascular risk factors in childhood and carotid artery intima-media thickness in adulthood: the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study.JAMA. 2003 Nov 5; 290: 2277-2283
- The relation of obesity throughout life to carotid intima-media thickness in adulthood: the Bogalusa Heart Study.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004 Jan; 28: 159-166
- Obesity in youth is not an independent predictor of carotid IMT in adulthood. The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study.Atherosclerosis. 2006 Apr; 185: 388-393
- The contribution of childhood obesity to adult carotid intima-media thickness: The Bogalusa Heart Study.Int J Obes (Lond). 2008 May; 32: 749-756
- Risk factors identified in childhood and decreased carotid artery elasticity in adulthood: the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study.Circulation. 2005 Sep 6; 112: 1486-1493
- Waist circumference and waist-to-height ratio are better predictors of cardiovascular disease risk factors in children than body mass index.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000 Nov; 24: 1453-1458
- Predictive associations between alternative measures of childhood adiposity and adult cardio-metabolic health.Int J Obes (Lond). 2011 Jan; 35: 38-45
- The Australian Schools Health and Fitness Survey. Physical fitness related to blood pressure but not lipoproteins.Circulation. 1994 Apr; 89: 1539-1544
- Evaluating the use of a portable ultrasound machine to quantify intima-media thickness and flow-mediated dilation: agreement between measurements from two ultrasound machines.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2006 Sep; 32: 1323-1329
- Estimating effects for non-linearly scaled covariates in regression models Part I – linear link function models.Australasian Epidemiologist. 2004; 11: 40-47
- Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey.BMJ. 2000 May 6; 320: 1240-1243
- Modeling postnatal exposures and their interactions with birth size.J Nutr. 2004 Jan; 134: 201-204
- Statistical issues in life course epidemiology.Am J Epidemiol. 2006 Jan 1; 163: 84-96
- Childhood adiposity, adult adiposity, and cardiovascular risk factors.N Engl J Med. 2011 Nov 17; 365: 1876-1885
- Sexual maturation and racial differences in blood pressure in girls: the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Growth and Health Study.J Pediatr. 1996 Aug; 129: 208-213
- Theoretical epidemiology. Principles of occurrence research in medicine.Wiley, New York1985
- Prevalence of overweight and obesity in Australian children and adolescents: reassessment of 1985 and 1995 data against new standard international definitions.Med J Aust. 2001 Jun 4; 174: 561-564
- Common carotid intima-media thickness measurements in cardiovascular risk prediction: a meta-analysis.JAMA. 2012 Aug 22; 308: 796-803
- Expert consensus document on arterial stiffness: methodological issues and clinical applications.Eur Heart J. 2006 Nov; 27: 2588-2605
- Transcutaneous very-high resolution ultrasound for the quantification of carotid arterial intima-media thickness in children – feasibility and comparison with conventional high resolution vascular ultrasound imaging.Atherosclerosis. 2012 Sep; 224: 102-107