Background and purpose
- The study compared the effect of light and regular cigarettes on endothelial function.
- The effect of chronic smoking on endothelial function is independent of the type of cigarette smoked.
- Even the lowest dose of cigarettes has a maximal detrimental effect on FMD.
- A single cigarette, both regular or light alike, impairs FMD even in chronic smokers.
- The so-called “light” cigarettes impair endothelial function as much as regular cigarettes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Smokers' beliefs about "Light" and "Ultra Light" cigarettes.Tob Control. 2001; 10: i17-i23
- Use of and beliefs about light cigarettes in four countries: findings from the International Tobacco Control Policy Evaluation Survey.Nicotine Tob Res. 2004; 6: S311-S321
- Smokers' misperceptions of light and ultra-light cigarettes may keep them smoking.Am J Prev Med. 1998; 15: 9-16
- Effects of timing and extent of smoking, type of cigarettes, and concomitant risk factors on the association between smoking and subclinical atherosclerosis.Stroke. 2009; 40: 1991-1998
- Long-term association of brachial artery flow-mediated vasodilation and cardiovascular events in middle-aged subjects with no apparent heart disease.Int J Cardiol. 2009; 134: 52-58
- Morning attenuation of endothelium-dependent, flow-mediated dilation in healthy young men: possible connection to morning peak of cardiac events?.Clin Cardiol. 1999; 22: 417-421
- Guidelines for the ultrasound assessment of endothelial-dependent flow-mediated vasodilation of the brachial artery: a report of the International Brachial Artery Reactivity Task Force.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002; 39: 257-265
- Automated analysis of brachial ultrasound image sequences: early detection of cardiovascular disease via surrogates of endothelial function.IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2002; 21: 1271-1279
- Measurement of the time course of peripheral vasoactivity: results in cigarette smokers.Atherosclerosis. 1998; 138: 197-205
- Conduit artery constriction mediated by low flow a novel noninvasive method for the assessment of vascular function.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008; 51: 1953-1958
- Non-invasive measurement of human endothelium dependent arterial responses: accuracy and reproducibility.Br Heart J. 1995; 74: 247-253
- Assessment of flow-mediated dilation reproducibility: a nationwide multicenter study.J Hypertens. 2012; 30: 1399-1405
- Light cigarette smoking impairs coronary microvascular functions as severely as smoking regular cigarettes.Heart. 2007; 93: 1274-1277
- Tar yield and risk of acute myocardial infarction: pooled analysis from three case-control studies.Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2007; 14: 299-303
- Cigarette smoking, tar yields, and non-fatal myocardial infarction: 14,000 cases and 32,000 controls in the United Kingdom. The International Studies of Infarct Survival (ISIS) Collaborators.BMJ. 1995; 311: 471-477
- Is compulsory restriction of tar yield of cigarettes a worthwhile public health policy?.Am J Prev Med. 2001; 21: 284-290
- Determinants of smoking initiation among women in five European countries: a cross-sectional survey.BMC Public Health. 2010; 10: 74
- Short-term effects of Italian smoking regulation on rates of hospital admission for acute myocardial infarction.Eur Heart J. 2006; 27: 2468-2472
- Smoking topography, brand switching, and nicotine delivery: results from an in vivo study.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005; 14: 1370-1375
- Similar uptake of lung carcinogens by smokers of regular, light, and ultralight cigarettes.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005; 14: 693-698
- Nicotine yield from machine-smoked cigarettes and nicotine intakes in smokers: evidence from a representative population survey.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2001; 93: 134-138
- Heavy and light cigarette smokers have similar dysfunction of endothelial vasoregulatory activity: an in vivo and in vitro correlation.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002; 39: 1758-1763
- Smoking is associated with dose-related increase of intima-media thickness and endothelial dysfunction.Angiology. 1999; 50: 201-208
- Cigarette smoking induced oxidative stress may impair endothelial function and coronary blood flow in angiographically normal coronary arteries.Circ J. 2006; 70: 593-599
- Effect of smoking on endothelial function and wall thickness of brachial artery.Circ J. 2004; 68: 1123-1126
- Acute smoke-induced endothelial dysfunction is more prolonged in smokers than in non-smokers.Int J Cardiol. 2007; 120: 404-406
- Contribution of nicotine to acute endothelial dysfunction in long-term smokers.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002; 39: 251-256
- Acute effects of smoking light cigarettes on coronary microvascular functions.Clin Cardiol. 2009; 32: 210-214