- •In men, CETP DNA methylation is associated with HDL and triglycerides levels.
- •CETP DNA methylation is associated with LDL-C levels.
- •CETP mass is correlated with LDL particle phenotype.
- •LPL DNA methylation is associated with HDL size, HDL-C and triglyceride levels.
- •Gene specific DNA methylation contributes to explain blood lipid profile variability.
Methods and results
List of abbreviations:ABCA1 (ATP-binding cassette A1), apoA1 (apolipoprotein A1), apoB (apolipoproprotein B), APOE (apolipoprotein E), AU (arbitrary unit), BMI (body mass index), CAD (coronary artery disease), CE (cholesteryl esters), CETP (cholesteryl ester transfer protein), CVD (cardiovascular disease), GAPDH (Glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate dehydrogenase), FH (familial hypercholesterolaemia), HDL-C (high-density lipoprotein cholesterol), LCAT (lecithin-cholesterol acyltransferase), LDL-C (low-density lipoprotein cholesterol), LDLR (low-density lipoprotein receptor), LPL (lipoprotein lipase), PCR (polymerase chain reaction), PL (phospholipids), RIN (RNA integrity number), SLSJ (Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean), TC (total cholesterol), TG (triglyceride), VAT (visceral adipose tissue), VLDL (very low-density lipoprotein)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Triglycerides and HDL-cholesterol as risk factors for ischemic heart disease. Results from the Quebec cardiovascular study.Atherosclerosis. 1996; 119: 235-245
- HDL: bridging past and present with a look at the future.FASEB J. 2008; 22: 4044-4054
- Genetic and environmental influences on serum lipid levels in twins.N Engl J Med. 1993; 328: 1150-1156
- Biological, clinical and population relevance of 95 loci for blood lipids.Nature. 2010; 466: 707-713
- Exploring and explaining epigenetic effects.Trends Genet. 1997; 13: 293-295
- DNA methylation patterns and epigenetic memory.Genes Dev. 2002; 16: 6-21
- ABCA1 gene promoter DNA methylation is associated with HDL particle profile and coronary artery disease in familial hypercholesterolemia.Epigenetics. 2012; 7: 464-472
- Epigenome-wide analysis in familial hypercholesterolemia identified new loci associated with high-density lipoprotein cholesterol concentration.Epigenomics. 2012; 4: 623-639
- Global DNA methylation and risk of subclinical atherosclerosis in young adults: the Pathobiological Determinants of Atherosclerosis in Youth (PDAY) study.Atherosclerosis. 2011; 219: 958-962
- Hypermethylation at loci sensitive to the prenatal environment is associated with increased incidence of myocardial infarction.Int J Epidemiol. 2012; 41: 106-115
- The contribution of classical risk factors to cardiovascular disease in familial hypercholesterolaemia: data in 2400 patients.J Intern Med. 2004; 256: 482-490
- Genetic determinants of cardiovascular disease risk in familial hypercholesterolemia.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005; 25: 1475-1481
- Comparison of the effect of two low-density lipoprotein receptor class mutations on coronary heart disease among French–Canadian patients heterozygous for familial hypercholesterolaemia.Eur J Clin Invest. 1997; 27: 366-373
- Environmental modulation of atherosclerosis end points in familial hypercholesterolemia.Atheroscler Suppl. 2002; 2: 5-7
- The role of a common variant of the cholesteryl ester transfer protein gene in the progression of coronary atherosclerosis. The Regression Growth Evaluation Statin Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1998; 338: 86-93
- Genetic cholesteryl ester transfer protein deficiency caused by two prevalent mutations as a major determinant of increased levels of high density lipoprotein cholesterol.J Clin Invest. 1994; 94: 1872-1882
- Particle size analysis of high density lipoproteins in patients with genetic cholesteryl ester transfer protein deficiency.Clin Chim Acta. 2000; 301: 103-117
- Lecithin cholesterol acyltransferase.Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000; 1529: 245-256
- Characterization of a new LCAT mutation causing familial LCAT deficiency (FLD) and the role of APOE as a modifier gene of the FLD phenotype.Atherosclerosis. 2009; 207: 452-457
- High density lipoprotein metabolism.J Lipid Res. 1984; 25: 1017-1058
- Dyslipidemias associated with heterozygous lipoprotein lipase mutations in the French–Canadian population.Hum Mutat. 1998; 1: S148-S153
- Lipoprotein lipase D9N, N291S and S447X polymorphisms: their influence on premature coronary heart disease and plasma lipids.Atherosclerosis. 2001; 157: 123-129
- Procedure to protect confidentiality of familial data in community genetics and genomic research.Clin Genet. 1999; 55: 259-264
- Standardization of anthropometric measurements.in: Lohman T. Roche A. Martorel R. The Airlie (VA) consensus conference. Human Kinetics, Champaigh, IL1988: 39-80
- Genetic epistasis in the VLDL catabolic pathway is associated with deleterious variations on triglyceridemia in obese subjects.Int J Obes. 2007; 31: 1325-1333
- Biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch.World J Surg. 1998; 22: 947-954
- A survey of genes differentially expressed in subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue in men.Obes Res. 2004; 12: 1217-1222
- Comprehensive genetic analysis of the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 gene and cardiovascular disease risk factors in obese individuals.Acta Diabetol. 2009; 46: 13-21
- Macrophage lipoprotein lipase expression is increased in patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia.J Lipid Res. 2002; 43: 215-222
- Lipoprotein lipase expression in livers of morbidly obese patients could be responsible for liver steatosis.Obes Surg. 2009; 19: 608-616
- Tissue leptin and plasma insulin are associated with lipoprotein lipase activity in severely obese patients.J Nutr Biochem. 2005; 16: 279-285
- The relationship between cholesteryl ester transfer protein levels and risk factor profile in patients with familial hypercholesterolemia.Atherosclerosis. 2004; 173: 261-267
- Changes in lipoprotein subfraction concentration and composition in healthy individuals treated with the CETP inhibitor anacetrapib.J Lipid Res. 2012; 53: 540-547
- Relationship between cholesteryl ester transfer protein and LDL heterogeneity in familial hypercholesterolemia.J Lipid Res. 2004; 45: 1077-1083
- Hypermethylation in promoter area of LDLR gene in atherosclerosis patients.Fen Zi Xi Bao Sheng Wu Xue Bao. 2007; 40: 419-427