- •Patients with ischemic stroke have a significant higher prevalence of HCV infection than controls.
- •Irrespective of traditional stroke risk factors, HCV is associated with ischemic stroke.
- •The results support a role of HCV in the development of ischemic stroke.
- •Chronic inflammation is associated with HCV infection and seems to have a pathogenic role.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Epidemiology of hepatitis C: geographic differences and temporal trends.Semin Liver Dis. 2000; 20: 1-16
- Hepatitis C virus as a multifaceted disease: a simple and updated approach for extrahepatic manifestations of hepatitis C virus infection.Hepat Mon. 2010; 10: 258-269
- Silent celiac disease in chronic hepatitis C: impact of interferon treatment on the disease onset and clinical outcome.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2004; 38: 901-905
- Steatosis and hepatitis C virus: mechanisms and significance for hepatic and extrahepatic disease.Gastroenterology. 2004; 126: 586-597
- Association between hepatitis C virus seropositivity, carotid-artery plaque, and intima-media thickening.Lancet. 2002; 359: 133-135
- Evidence for association between hepatitis C virus seropositivity and coronary artery disease.Heart. 2004; 90: 565-566
- Hepatitis C virus RNA localization in human carotid plaques.J Clin Virol. 2010; 47: 72-75
- Chronic HCV infection is a risk of atherosclerosis. Role of HCV and HCV-related steatosis.Atherosclerosis. 2012; 221: 496-502
- Guidelines for prevention of stroke in patients with ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack: a statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Council on Stroke: co-sponsored by the Council on Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention: the American Academy of Neurology affirms the value of this guideline.Stroke. 2006; 37: 577-617
- Infections and atherosclerosis: new clues from an old hypothesis?.Am J Epidemiol. 1998; 148: 937-948
- Inflammation in atherosclerosis.Nature. 2002; 420: 868-874
- Hepatitis C virus infection and increased risk of cerebrovascular disease.Stroke. 2010; 41: 2894-2900
- Hyperhomocysteinemia and the MTHFR C677T polymorphism promote steatosis and fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C patients.Hepatology. 2005; 41: 995-1003
- Hepatic steatosis and insulin resistance are associated with serum imbalance of adiponectin/tumour necrosis factor-alpha in chronic hepatitis C patients.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2006; 24: 1349-1357
- Interplay between oxidative stress and hepatic steatosis in the progression of chronic hepatitis C.J Hepatol. 2008; 48: 399-406
- Obesity and steatosis influence serum and hepatic inflammatory markers in chronic hepatitis C.Hepatology. 2008; 48: 80-87
- Metabolic alterations and chronic hepatitis C: treatment strategies.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2011; 12: 2215-2234
- Inflammation and atherosclerosis: novel insights into plaque formation and destabilization.Stroke. 2006; 37: 1923-1932
- Hepatic steatosis and insulin resistance: does etiology make a difference?.J Hepatol. 2006; 44: 190-196
- C-reactive protein but not soluble CD40 ligand and homocysteine is associated to common atherosclerotic risk factors in a cohort of coronary artery disease patients.Clin Biochem. 2009; 42: 1713-1718
- Hepatitis C virus infects the endothelial cells of the blood-brain barrier.Gastroenterology. 2012; 142: 634-643
- Risk of myocardial infarction associated with chronic hepatitis C virus infection: a population-based cohort study.J Viral Hepat. 2012; 19: 271-277
- No association between hepatitis C virus seropositivity and acute myocardial infarction.Clin Infect Dis. 2006; 43: 53-56
- A systematic review of hepatitis C virus epidemiology in Europe, Canada and Israel.Liver Int. 2011; 31: 30-60
- Global strategy for the diagnosis, management and prevention of COPD, global initiative for chronic obstructive lung disease (GOLD) 2011.2011 (Available from:)
- Does hepatitis C virus infection increase risk for stroke? A population-based cohort study.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e31527
- Inflammation, atherosclerosis, and coronary artery disease.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 1685-1695
- Effect of hepatitis C virus on cardiovascular risk in infected patients: a comparative study.Int J Cardiol. 2011, Jul 22; ([Epub ahead of print])
- High circulating N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide and tumor necrosis factor-a in mixed cryoglobulinemia.World J Gastroenterol. 2009; 15: 5074-5079
- N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide levels are elevated in patients with acute ischemic stroke.Angiology. 2005; 56: 723-730
- American association for the study of liver diseases. Diagnosis, management, and treatment of hepatitis C: an update.Hepatology. 2009; 49: 1335-1374
- EASL clinical practice guidelines: management of hepatitis C virus infection.J Hepatol. 2011; 55: 245-264
- Interferon-based therapy reduces risk of stroke in chronic hepatitis C patients: a population- based cohort study in taiwan.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2013; 38: 415-423