- •In human SAAA tissues, the prevalence of intermediate and advanced atherosclerosis is high.
- •Patients with SAAA were more likely to have advanced atherosclerosis than controls.
- •Advanced atherosclerosis was associated with severe grades of aortic medial degeneration.
- •Atherosclerosis and SAAA may influence the progression of each respective disease.
Methods and results
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Deaths: final data for 2009.in: National vital statistics reports. National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD2012
- Diseases of the aorta: aneurysm of the ascending aorta.Heart. 2010; 96: 979-985
- Pathogenesis of thoracic and abdominal aortic aneurysms.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2006; 1085: 339-352
- Characterization of the inflammatory cells in ascending thoracic aortic aneurysms in patients with Marfan syndrome, familial thoracic aortic aneurysms, and sporadic aneurysms.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2008; 136 (922–9, 9 e1)
- Cellular and molecular mechanisms of thoracic aortic aneurysms.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2009; 6: 771-786
- Rare copy number variants disrupt genes regulating vascular smooth muscle cell adhesion and contractility in sporadic thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissections.Am J Hum Genet. 2010; 87: 743-756
- New insight in aetiopathogenesis of aortic diseases.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2009; 37: 531-537
- Natural history, pathogenesis, and etiology of thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissections.Cardiol Clin. 1999; 17 ([vii]): 615-635
- Variation in the histopathological features of patients with ascending aortic aneurysms: a study of 111 surgically excised cases.J Clin Pathol. 2008; 61: 519-523
- Surgical pathology of the ascending aorta: a clinicopathologic study of 513 cases.Am J Surg Pathol. 2006; 30: 1159-1168
- The morphology of ascending aortic aneurysms.Hum Pathol. 1983; 14: 810-817
- The surgical pathology of thoracic aortic aneurysms.Histopathology. 1977; 1: 257-276
- Aortic atherosclerosis and embolic events.Curr Cardiol Rep. 2012; 14: 342-349
- Is aortic dilatation an atherosclerosis-related process? Clinical, laboratory, and transesophageal echocardiographic correlates of thoracic aortic dimensions in the population with implications for thoracic aortic aneurysm formation.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003; 42: 1076-1083
- Natural history and histological classification of atherosclerotic lesions: an update.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2000; 20: 1177-1178
- A definition of the intima of human arteries and of its atherosclerosis-prone regions. A report from the Committee on Vascular Lesions of the Council on Arteriosclerosis, American Heart Association.Arterioscler Thromb. 1992; 12: 120-134
- A definition of advanced types of atherosclerotic lesions and a histological classification of atherosclerosis. A report from the Committee on Vascular Lesions of the Council on Arteriosclerosis, American Heart Association.Circulation. 1995; 92: 1355-1374
- A definition of initial, fatty streak, and intermediate lesions of atherosclerosis. A report from the Committee on Vascular Lesions of the Council on Arteriosclerosis, American Heart Association.Circulation. 1994; 89: 2462-2478
- Genome-wide association study identifies a susceptibility locus for thoracic aortic aneurysms and aortic dissections spanning FBN1 at 15q21.1.Nat Genet. 2011; 43: 996-1000
- Histologic abnormalities of the ascending aorta and pulmonary trunk in patients with bicuspid aortic valve disease: clinical relevance to the ross procedure.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1999; 118: 588-594
- Intrinsic histological abnormalities of aortic root and ascending aorta in tetralogy of Fallot: evidence of causative mechanism for aortic dilatation and aortopathy.Circulation. 2005; 112: 961-968
- Understanding interobserver agreement: the kappa statistic.Fam Med. 2005; 37: 360-363
- Ascending thoracic aneurysms are associated with decreased systemic atherosclerosis.Chest. 2005; 128: 1580-1586
- Atherosclerosis in abdominal aortic aneurysms: a causal event or a process running in parallel? the Tromso study.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010; 30: 1263-1268
- Relation of coronary artery disease and cerebrovascular disease with atherosclerosis of the thoracic aorta in the general population.Am J Cardiol. 2002; 89: 262-267
- Ascending and arch aorta: pathology, natural history, and treatment.Circulation. 2008; 118: 188-195
- Aging, smooth muscle cells and vascular pathobiology: implications for atherosclerosis.Atherosclerosis. 2006; 188: 221-230
- Atherosclerosis and abdominal aortic aneurysm: cause, response, or common risk factors?.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010; 30: 1075-1077
- Matrix metalloproteinases in ascending aortic aneurysms: bicuspid versus trileaflet aortic valves.J Surg Res. 2005; 123: 40-48
- Matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 work in concert to produce aortic aneurysms.J Clin Investig. 2002; 110: 625-632
- Matrix metalloproteinases: inflammatory regulators of cell behaviors in vascular formation and remodeling.Mediat Inflamm. 2013; 2013: 928315
- Inflammation and cellular immune responses in abdominal aortic aneurysms.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2006; 26: 987-994
- Arterial remodeling. Mechanisms and clinical implications.Circulation. 2000; 102: 1186-1191
- Immune mechanisms in atherosclerosis.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2001; 21: 1876-1890
- Genetic and pharmacologic disruption of interleukin-1beta signaling inhibits experimental aortic aneurysm formation.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013; 33: 294-304
- Modulatory mechanisms controlling the NLRP3 inflammasome in inflammation: recent developments.Curr Opin Immunol. 2013; 25: 40-45