- •AGE-IM is a case-control study carried out on an Italian cohort.
- •Total PUFA, omega-6 and omega-3 PUFA were reduced in MI patients.
- •MI risk significantly and steadily decreased with increasing levels of PUFA.
- •Both omega-6 and omega-3 were related to MI risk reduction.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Dietary fats and coronary heart disease.J Intern Med. 2012; 272: 13-24https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2796.2012.02553.x
- Trans fatty acids and cardiovascular health: research completed?.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2013; 67: 541-547https://doi.org/10.1038/ejcn.2013.43
- Effects on coronary heart disease of increasing polyunsaturated fat in place of saturated fat: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.PLoS Med. 2010 Mar 23; 7: e1000252https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1000252
- Quantitative effects on cardiovascular risk factors and coronary heart disease risk of replacing partially hydrogenated vegetable oils with other fats and oils.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009; 63: S22-S33https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602976
- The role of dietary n-6 fatty acids in the prevention of cardiovascular disease.J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown). 2007; 8: S42-S45
- n-3 fatty acids in cardiovascular disease.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 2439-2450https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1008153
- n-3 Fatty acids and cardiovascular disease: evidence explained and mechanisms explored.Clin Sci (Lond). 2004; 107: 1-11
- Fish oil and omega-3 fatty acids in cardiovascular disease: do they really work?.Eur Heart J. 2012; 33: 436-443https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehr362
- Effects of dietary fatty acids and carbohydrates on the ratio of serum total to HDL cholesterol and on serum lipids and apolipoproteins: a meta-analysis of 60 controlled trials.Am J Clin Nutr. 2003; 77: 1146-1155
- n-6 fatty acid-specific and mixed polyunsaturate dietary interventions have different effects on CHD risk: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.Br J Nutr. 2010; 104: 1586-1600https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114510004010
- Distribution, interconversion, and dose response of n-3 fatty acids in humans.Am J Clin Nutr. 2006; 83: 1467S-1476S
- Essentiality of fatty acids.Lipids. 1999; 34: S1-S3
- The omega-6/omega-3 ratio and cardiovascular disease risk: uses and abuses.Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2006; 8: 453-459
- Joint FAO/WHO Expert Consultation on Fats and Fatty Acids in Human Nutrition. WHO, Geneva10–14 November, 2008
- Fatty acids measured in plasma and erythrocyte-membrane phospholipids and derived by food-frequency questionnaire and the risk of new-onset type 2 diabetes: a pilot study in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC)-Norfolk cohort.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 92: 1214-1222https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2010.29182
- Fish.in: Enc Human Nutr. Elsevier Ltd., pp2005: 247-256
- Genetic variants in the metabolism of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids: their role in the determination of nutritional requirements and chronic disease risk.Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2010 Jul; 235: 785-795https://doi.org/10.1258/ebm.2010.009298
- A method for the direct evaluation of the fatty acid status in a drop of blood from a fingertip in humans: applicability to nutritional and epidemiological studies.Anal Biochem. 2004; 326: 267-272
- Fatty acid composition of plasma, blood cells and whole blood: relevance for the assessment of the fatty acid status in humans.Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2007; 76: 363-369
- The omega-3 index: a new risk factor for death from coronary heart disease?.Prev Med. 2004; 39: 212-220
- Long-chain monounsaturated Fatty acids and incidence of congestive heart failure in 2 prospective cohorts.Circulation. 2013; 127 (1521e1–18): 1512-1521https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.112.001197
- Omega-6 and trans fatty acids in blood cell membranes: a risk factor for acute coronary syndromes?.Am Heart J. 2008; 156: 1117-1123https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2008.07.014
- The fatty acid profiles in a drop of blood from a fingertip correlate with physiological, dietary and lifestyle parameters in volunteers.Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2007; 76: 87-92
- Diet in the Italian EPIC cohorts: presentation of data and methodological issues.Tumori. 2003; 89: 594-607
- Major types of dietary fat and risk of coronary heart disease: a pooled analysis of 11 cohort studies.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 89: 1425-1432https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2008.27124
- Plasma phospholipid fatty acid concentration and incident coronary heart disease in men and women: the EPIC-Norfolk prospective study.PLoS Med. 2012; 9: e1001255https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1001255
- Plasma phospholipid long-chain ω-3 fatty acids and total and cause-specific mortality in older adults: a cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158: 515-525https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-158-7-201304
- n-6 Fatty acids and cardiovascular health: a review of the evidence for dietary intake recommendations.Br J Nutr. 2010; 104: 788-796https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114510002096
- Omega-6 fatty acids and risk for cardiovascular disease: a science advisory from the American Heart Association Nutrition Subcommittee of the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism; Council on Cardiovascular Nursing; and Council on Epidemiology and Prevention.Circulation. 2009; 119: 902-907https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.108.191627
- The third Italian National Food Consumption Survey, INRAN-SCAI 2005-06 – part 1: nutrient intakes in Italy.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2011; 21: 922-932https://doi.org/10.1016/j.numecd.2010.03.001
- Region-specific nutrient intake patterns exhibit a geographical gradient within and between European countries.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 1280-1286https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.110.121152
- Low adherence of a clinically healthy Italian population to nutritional recommendations for primary prevention of chronic diseases.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2006; 16: 436-444