- •A commonly used murine model of diabetes-induced atherosclerosis was investigated.
- •The effect of carnosine supplementation upon atherosclerosis was examined.
- •Blood glucose and cholesterol, glycated haemoglobin, and plaque area were unaffected.
- •There was a decrease in plasma triglycerides and increased lesion collagen content.
- •Carnosine reduced hypertriglyceridaemia and was associated with lesion remodelling.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Is there evidence that oral hypoglycemic agents reduce cardiovascular morbidity/mortality? Yes.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: S342-S348
- Recipes for creating animal models of diabetic cardiovascular disease.Circ Res. 2007; 100: 1415-1427
- The role of AGEs in cardiovascular disease.Curr Pharm Des. 2008; 14: 979-986
- Physiology and pathophysiology of carnosine.Physiol Rev. 2013; 93: 1803-1845
- Carnosine and its possible roles in nutrition and health.Adv Food Nutr Res. 2009; 57: 87-154
- Dietary carnosine prevents early atherosclerotic lesion formation in apolipoprotein E-null mice.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013; 33: 1162-1170
- Carnosine and its constituents inhibit glycation of low-density lipoproteins that promote foam cell formation in vitro.FEBS Lett. 2007; 581: 1067-1070
- D-carnosine octylester attenuates atherosclerosis and renal disease in ApoE null mice fed a Western diet through reduction of carbonyl stress and inflammation.Br J Pharmacol. 2012; 166: 1344-1356
- Histidine and carnosine alleviated hepatic steatosis in mice consumed high saturated fat diet.Eur J Pharmacol. 2011; 653: 82-88
- Biological activity of novel synthetic derivatives of carnosine.Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2010; 30: 395-404
- The carbonyl scavenger carnosine ameliorates dyslipidemia and renal function in zucker obese rats.J Cell Mol Med. 2011; 15: 1339-1356
- Histidine and carnosine delay diabetic deterioration in mice and protect human low density lipoprotein against oxidation and glycation.Eur J Pharmacol. 2005; 513: 145-150
- Prevention of accelerated atherosclerosis by angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition in diabetic apolipoprotein E-deficient mice.Circulation. 2002; 106: 246-253
- Androgen-induced progression of arterial calcification in apolipoprotein E-null mice is uncoupled from plaque growth and lipid levels.Endocrinology. 2009; 150: 841-848
- Hypochlorous acid-mediated protein oxidation: how important are chloramine transfer reactions and protein tertiary structure?.Biochemistry. 2007; 46: 9853-9864
- Gene transfer of a broad spectrum CC-chemokine inhibitor reduces vein graft atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-knockout mice.Circulation. 2005; 112: I-235-I-241
- Suppression of accelerated diabetic atherosclerosis by the soluble receptor for advanced glycation endproducts.Nat Med. 1998; 4: 1025-1031
- Irbesartan but not amlidipine suppresses diabetes-associated atherosclerosis.Circulation. 2004; 109: 1536-1542
- The cis-9,trans-11 isomer of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) lowers plasma triglyceride and raises HDL cholesterol concentrations but does not suppress aortic atherosclerosis in diabetic apoE-deficient mice.Atherosclerosis. 2006; 189: 282-287
- Effect of l-carnosine on the hyperglycemia caused by intracranial injection of 2-deoxy-D-glucose in rats.Neurosci Lett. 2001; 313: 78-82
- Rosiglitazone (PPAR-γ-agonist) attenuates atherogenesis with no effect on hyperglycaemia in a combined diabetes-atherosclerosis mouse model.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2003; 5: 45-50
- Physical–chemical basis of lipid deposition in atherosclerosis.Science. 1974; 185: 222-229
- Inflammation in atherosclerosis.Nature. 2002; 420: 868
- Inhibition of rupture of established atherosclerotic plaques by treatment with apolipoprotein A-I.Cardiovasc Res. 2011; 91: 37-44
- The oxidative environment and protein damage.Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005; 1703: 93-109
- Peroxidation of proteins by free radicals and its consequences to living organisms.Curr Topics Biophys. 1995; 1995: 220-226
- The reaction of methylglyoxal with aminoguanidine under physiological conditions and prevention of methylglyoxal binding to plasma proteins.Biochem Pharmacol. 1994; 48: 1865-1870
- Quantification of malondialdehyde and 4-hydroxynonenal adducts to lysine residues in native and oxidised human low-density lipoprotein.Biochem J. 1997; 322: 317-325
- Modification of low density lipoprotein with 4-hydroxynonenal induces uptake by macrophages.Arteriosclerosis. 1989; 9: 538-549
- Role of Nrf2 in the regulation of CD36 and stress protein expression in murine macrophages: activation by oxidatively modified LDL and 4-hydroxynonenal.Circ Res. 2004; 94: 609-616