- •We analyze the impact of MPO on plaque progression by intravascular ultrasound.
- •Increasing MPO level contributes to plaque progression in diabetics.
- •LDL-C lowering results in less progression in diabetics with low MPO level.
- •High-dose statin prevents plaque progression in diabetics with low MPO level.
- •These benefits are diminished in diabetics with high MPO level.
Abbreviations:CAD (coronary artery disease), DM (diabetes mellitus), EEM (external elastic membrane), HDL (high-density lipoprotein), hsCRP (high sensitivity C-reactive protein), IVUS (intravascular ultrasound), LDL (low-density lipoprotein), MPO (myeloperoxidase), PAV (percent atheroma volume)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Excess risk of fatal coronary heart disease associated with diabetes in men and women: meta-analysis of 37 prospective cohort studies.BMJ. 2006; 332: 73-78
- Is diabetes mellitus a cardiovascular disease risk equivalent for fatal stroke in women? Data from the Women's Pooling Project.Stroke. 2003; 34: 2812-2816
- Effect of diabetes on progression of coronary atherosclerosis and arterial remodeling: a pooled analysis of 5 intravascular ultrasound trials.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008; 52: 255-262
- Diabetes, other risk factors, and 12-yr cardiovascular mortality for men screened in the Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial.Diabetes Care. 1993; 16: 434-444
- Low-grade systemic inflammation and the development of type 2 diabetes: the atherosclerosis risk in communities study.Diabetes. 2003; 52: 1799-1805
- Insulin resistance, inflammation, and the prediabetic state.Am J Cardiol. 2003; 92: 18J-26J
- New aspects in the pathogenesis of diabetic atherosclerosis.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004; 44: 2293-2300
- Inflammatory markers and the metabolic syndrome: insights from therapeutic interventions.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005; 46: 1978-1985
- Coronary composition and macrophage infiltration in atherectomy specimens from patients with diabetes mellitus.Circulation. 2000; 102: 2180-2184
- Morphologic findings of coronary atherosclerotic plaques in diabetics: a postmortem study.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004; 24: 1266-1271
- Association of C-reactive protein with early-stage carotid atherosclerosis in Japanese patients with early-stage type 2 diabetes mellitus.Endocr J. 2006; 53: 693-698
- Combined effects of hemoglobin A1c and C-reactive protein on the progression of subclinical carotid atherosclerosis: the INVADE study.Stroke. 2006; 37: 351-357
- Myeloperoxidase and cardiovascular disease.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005; 25: 1102-1111
- Myeloperoxidase, modified lipoproteins, and atherogenesis.J Lipid Res. 2009; 50: S346-S351
- Oxygen metabolism and the toxic properties of phagocytes.Ann Intern Med. 1980; 93: 480-489
- Immunocytochemicalidentification of azurophilic and specific granule markers in the giant granules of Chediak-Higashi neutrophils.N Engl J Med. 1978; 298: 693-698
- Spatial mapping of pulmonary and vascular nitrotyrosinereveals the pivotal role of myeloperoxidase as a catalyst for tyrosine nitration in inflammatory diseases.Free Radic Biol Med. 2002; 33: 1010
- Endothelial transcytosis of myeloperoxidase confers specificity to vascular ECM proteins as targets of tyrosine nitration.J Clin Invest. 2001; 108: 1759-1770
- 3-Chlorotyrosine, a specific marker of myeloperoxidase-catalyzed oxidation, is markedly elevated in low density lipoprotein isolated from human atherosclerotic intima.J Clin Invest. 1997; 99: 2075-2081
- Myeloperoxidase-generated reactive nitrogen species convert LDL into an atherogenic form in vitro.J Clin Invest. 1999; 103: 1547-1560
- Apolipoprotein A-1 is a selective target for myeloperoxidase-catalyzed oxidation and functional impairment in subject with cardiovascular disease.J Clin Invest. 2004; 114: 529-541
- Myeloperoxidase impairs ABCA1-dependent cholesterol efflux through methionine oxidation and site-specific tyrosine chlorination of apolipoprotein A-I.J Biol Chem. 2006; 281: 9001-9004
- Modification of high density lipoprotein by myeloperoxidase generates a pro-inflammatory particle.J Biol Chem. 2009; 284: 30825-30835
- Myeloperoxidase, a leukocyte-derived vascular NO oxidase.Science. 2002; 296: 2391-2394
- Serum myeloperoxidase levels independently predict endothelial dysfunction in humans.Circulation. 2004; 110: 1134-1139
- Nitric oxide modulates the catalytic activity of myeloperoxidase.J Biol Chem. 2000; 275: 5425-5430
- Endothelial-vasoprotective effects of high-density lipoprotein are impaired in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus but are improved after extended-release niacin therapy.Circulation. 2010; 121: 110-122
- Intravascular ultrasound in cardiovascular medicine.Circulation. 2006; 114: e55-e59
- Effect of intensive compared with moderate lipid-lowering therapy on progression of coronary atherosclerosis: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2004; 291: 1071-1080
- Effect of antihypertensive agents on cardiovascular events in patients with coronary disease and normal blood pressure: the CAMELOT study: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2004; 292: 2217-2225
- Effect of ACAT inhibition on the progression of coronary atherosclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 1253-1263
- Risk prediction with serial myeloperoxidase monitoring in patients with acute chest pain.Clin Chem. 2011; 57: 1762-1770
- Prognostic value of myeloperoxidase in patients with chest pain.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 1595-1604
- Myeloperoxidase serum levels predict risk in patients with acute coronary syndromes.Circulation. 2003; 108: 1440-1445
- Serum myeloperoxidase levels are associated with the future risk of coronary artery disease in apparently healthy individuals: the EPIC-Norfolk Prospective Population Study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007; 50: 159-165
- Association between myeloperoxidase levels and risk of coronary artery disease.JAMA. 2001; 286: 2136-2142
- Myeloperoxidase and C-reactive protein have combined utility for long-term prediction of cardiovascular mortality after coronary angiography.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 55: 1102-1109
- Leukocyte-derived myeloperoxidase amplifies high-glucose-induced endothelial dysfunction through interaction with high-glucose-stimulated, vascular non-leukocyte-derived reactive oxygen species.Diabetes. 2004; 53: 2950-2959
- Intravascular ultrasound-derived measures of coronary atherosclerotic plaque burden and clinical outcome.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 55: 2399-2407