- •A diet containing 9 g salt/day impaired flow mediated dilatation (FMD) and increased endothelin-1.
- •A 3 g reduction in salt intake reversed the impaired FMD and improved serum endothelin-1.
- •Asymmetric dimethylarginine, plasma and urinary nitrate/nitrite concentrations did not change.
- •Aldosterone and renin were unchanged by salt reduction.
Background and aim
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Endothelial function is impaired after a high-salt meal in healthy subjects.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 93: 500-505
- Dietary sodium restriction reverses vascular endothelial dysfunction in middle-aged/older adults with moderately elevated systolic blood pressure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 61: 335-343
- Nitric oxide production decreases after salt loading but is not related to blood pressure changes or nitric oxide-mediated vascular responses.J Hypertens. 2003; 21: 153-157
- Salt sensitivity in blacks: evidence that the initial pressor effect of NaCl involves inhibition of vasodilatation by asymmetrical dimethylarginine.Hypertension. 2011; 58: 380-385
- Clustering of endothelial markers of vascular damage in human salt-sensitive hypertension: influence of dietary sodium load and depletion.Hypertension. 1998; 32: 862-868
- Effects of a low-salt diet on flow-mediated dilatation in humans.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 89: 485-490
- Moderate weight loss reduces renin and aldosterone but does not influence basal or stimulated pituitary-adrenal axis function.Horm Metab Res. 2007; 39: 694-699
- Flow-mediated dilatation is impaired by a high-saturated fat diet but not by a high-carbohydrate diet.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005; 25: 1274-1279
- Relationship of urinary sodium and sodium-to-potassium ratio to blood pressure in older adults in Australia.Med J Aust. 2011; 195: 128-132
- Dietary sodium loading in normotensive healthy volunteers does not increase arterial vascular reactivity or blood pressure.Nephrology. 2012; 17: 249-256
- Dietary salt loading impairs arterial vascular reactivity.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 91: 557-564
- Effect of salt intake on endothelium-derived factors in a group of patients with essential hypertension.Clin Sci (Lond). 2001; 101: 73-78
- Improvement of vascular endothelial function using the oral endothelin receptor antagonist bosentan in patients with systemic sclerosis.Arthritis Rheum. 2007; 56: 1985-1993
- Effects of endothelin a receptor blockade on endothelial function in patients with chronic heart failure.Circulation. 2001; 103: 981-986
- Chronic high-sodium diet increases aortic wall endothelin-1 expression in a blood pressure-independent fashion in rats.Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2006; 231: 813-817
- Relationship between endogenous concentrations of vasoactive substances and measures of peripheral vasodilator function in patients with coronary artery disease.Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2010; 37: 24-28
- Sodium and potassium intake present a J-shaped relationship with arterial stiffness and carotid intima-media thickness.Atherosclerosis. 2012; 225: 497-503
- Prognostic role of flow-mediated dilation and cardiac risk factors in post-menopausal women.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008; 51: 997-1002
- 17beta-Estradiol modulates vasoconstriction induced by endothelin-1 following trauma-hemorrhage.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007; 292: H245-H250
- Effect of hypoxia on plasma immunoreactive endothelin-1 concentration in anesthetized rats.Metabolism: Clin Exp. 1991; 40: 999-1001
- Normobaric hypoxia stimulates endothelin-1 gene expression in the rat.Am J Physiol. 1992; 263: R1260-R1264
- Enhanced endothelin-1 system activity with overweight and obesity.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2011; 301: H689-H695
- Salt intake and plasma atrial natriuretic peptide and nitric oxide in hypertension.Hypertension. 1996; 28: 335-340
- Study on the relationship between plasma nitrite and nitrate level and salt sensitivity in human hypertension: modulation of nitric oxide synthesis by salt intake.Circulation. 2000; 101: 856-861
- Salt loading on plasma asymmetrical dimethylarginine and the protective role of potassium supplement in normotensive salt-sensitive asians.Hypertension. 2006; 48: 724-729
- Genetics of atherosclerosis: the search for genes acting at the level of the vessel wall.Curr Atherosclerosis Rep. 2000; 2: 380-389
- Atherosclerosis Nat. 2000; 407: 233-241
- Effect of macrophage-derived apolipoprotein E on established atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2000; 20: 2261-2266
- Activation of the renin-angiotensin system mediates the effects of dietary salt intake on atherogenesis in the apolipoprotein e knockout mouse.Hypertension. 2012; 60: 98-105
- Dietary sodium intake and mortality: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES I).Lancet. 1998; 351: 781-785
- Low urinary sodium is associated with greater risk of myocardial infarction among treated hypertensive men.Hypertension. 1995; 25: 1144-1152
- Prediction of cardiovascular events and all-cause mortality with central haemodynamics: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur Heart J. 2010; 31: 1865-1871
- Prediction of cardiovascular events and all-cause mortality with arterial stiffness: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 55: 1318-1327
- Effect of modest salt reduction on blood pressure, urinary albumin, and pulse wave velocity in white, black, and Asian mild hypertensives.Hypertension. 2009; 54: 482-488
- Improved arterial distensibility in normotensive subjects on a low salt diet.Arteriosclerosis. 1986; 6: 166-169