- •This study describes a new 3D single sweep carotid ultrasound technique.
- •The method is feasible in 80% of patients referred for carotid ultrasound.
- •Plaque and artery volume measurements demonstrate low inter-observer variability.
- •The results provide a benchmark for further research in this field.
2.1 Study sample
2.2 2D carotid ultrasound
- Stein James H.
- Korcarz Claudia E.
- Todd Hurst R.
- et al.
2.3 Automated single sweep method of the 3D data acquisition
2.4 Measurement of plaque and artery volumes
- Lang R.M.
- Bierig M.
- Devereux R.B.
- et al.
|Total (n = 79)||Male (n = 48)||Female (n = 31)|
|Hypertension||57 (72.2%)||35 (72.9%)||22 (71.0%)|
|Diabetes||16 (20.3%)||13 (27.1%)||3 (9.7%)|
|Dyslipidemia||61 (77.2%)||36 (75.0%)||25 (80.6%)|
3.1 Reproducibility of plaque and artery volume measurements
Conflict of interest
- Interventional clinical trials using noninvasive ultrasound end points: the multicenter isradipine/diuretic atherosclerosis study. The MIDAS Research Group.J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 1990; 15: S30-S33
- Reproducibility of noninvasive ultrasonic measurement of carotid atherosclerosis. The Asymptomatic Carotid Artery Plaque Study.Stroke. 1992; 23: 1062-1068
- Clinical use of carotid intima-media thickness: review of the literature.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2007; 20: 907-914
- Role of Doppler US in screening for carotid atherosclerotic disease.Radiology. 1995; 197: 635-643
- Prospective evaluation of new duplex criteria to identify 70% internal carotid artery stenosis.J Vasc Surg. 1996; 23: 254-261
- Diagnosing carotid stenosis by Doppler sonography: state of the art.J Ultrasound Med. 2005; 24: 1127-1136
- Carotid plaque, compared with carotid intima-media thickness, more accurately predicts coronary artery disease events: a meta-analysis.Atherosclerosis. 2012; 220: 128-133
- Carotid artery stenosis: gray-scale and Doppler US diagnosis-Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound Consensus Conference.Radiology. 2003; 229 (Epub 2003 Sep 18): 340-346
- Three-dimensional ultrasound imaging for the evaluation of carotid atherosclerosis.Atherosclerosis. 2011; 219: 377-383
- Three-dimensional ultrasound scanning.Interface Focus. 2011; 1: 503-519https://doi.org/10.1098/rsfs.2011.0019
- Comprehensive and rapid assessment of carotid plaques in acute stroke using a new single sweep method for three-dimensional carotid ultrasound.Echocardiography. 2013 Apr; 30: 414-418
- Can carotid bulb plaque assessment rule out significant coronary artery disease? A comparison of plaque quantification by two- and three-dimensional ultrasound.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2013; 26: 86-95
- Post use of carotid ultrasound to identify subclinical vascular disease and evaluate cardiovascular disease risk: a consensus statement from the American Society of Echocardiography Carotid Intima-Media Thickness Task Force Endorsed by the Society for Vascular Medicine.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2008; 21: 93-111
- Chamber Quantification Writing Group; American Society of Echocardiography's Guidelines and Standards Committee; European Association of Echocardiography. Recommendations for chamber quantification: a report from the American Society of Echocardiography's Guidelines and Standards Committee and the Chamber Quantification Writing Group, developed in conjunction with the European Association of Echocardiography, a branch of the European Society of Cardiology.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2005; 18: 1440-1463
- Measurement of carotid plaque volume by 3-dimensional ultrasound.Stroke. 2004; 35: 864-869
- Measurement in medicine: the analysis of method comparison studies.The Statistician. 1983; 32: 307-317
- Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement.Lancet. 1986; i: 307-310
- Coronary artery disease: improved reproducibility of calcium scoring with an electron-beam CT volumetric method.Radiology. 1998; 208: 807-814
- Critical appraisal of the carotid duplex consensus criteria in the diagnosis of carotid artery stenosis.J Vasc Surg. 2011; 53: 53-59
- Redefined duplex ultrasonographic criteria for diagnosing of carotid artery stenosis.Mayo Clin Proc. 2000; 75: 1133-1140
- Ultrasound imaging of carotid artery stenosis: application of the Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound Consensus Criteria to a Single Institution Clinical Practice.Ultrasound Q. 2008; 24: 161-166
- B-mode ultrasound and spiral CT for the assessment of carotid atherosclerosis.Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2002; 12: 421-435
- Contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance angiography of carotid arteries: utility in routine clinical practice.Stroke. 2002; 33: 2834-2838
- Comparison of intra-arterial digital subtraction angiography, magnetic resonance angiography and duplex ultrasonography for measuring carotid artery stenosis.Br J Surg. 1999; 86: 1422-1426
- Role of conventional angiography in evaluation of patients with carotid artery stenosis demonstrated by Doppler ultrasound in general practice.Stroke. 2001; 32: 2287-2291
- Spence technology insight: ultrasound measurement of carotid plaque patient management, genetic research, and therapy evaluation.Nat Clin Pract Neurol. 2006; 2: 611-619
- Spence measurement of intima-media thickness vs. carotid plaque: uses in patient care, genetic research and evaluation of new therapies.Int J Stroke. 2006; 1: 216-221
- Three-dimensional colour Doppler imaging of the carotid artery.SPIE Med Imag. 1991; 1444: 206-213
- Quantification of atherosclerotic plaques in carotid arteries by three-dimensional ultrasound.Br J Radiol. 1994; 67: 672-678
- Theoretical and experimental quantification of carotid plaque volume measurements made by three-dimensional ultrasound using test phantoms.Med Phys. 2002; 29: 2319-2327
- 3D ultrasound imaging of the carotid arteries.Curr Drug Targets Cardiovasc Haematol Disord. 2004; 4: 161-175
- Quantification of carotid plaque volume measurements using 3D ultrasound imaging.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2005; 31: 751-762
- A comparison of ultrasound measurements to assess carotid atherosclerosis development in subjects with and without type 2 diabetes.Cardiovasc Ultrasound. 2005; 3: 15
- Regression of carotid plaques during low density lipoprotein cholesterol elimination.Stroke. 1991 Aug; 22: 989-992
- Three-dimensional power-mode ultrasound for quantification of the progression of carotid artery atherosclerosis.J Neurol. 2000; 247: 106-111
- Volumetric assessment of plaque progression with 3-dimensional ultrasonography under statin therapy.J Neuroimaging. 2002; 12: 245-251
- 3D ultrasound measurement of change in carotid plaque volume: a tool for rapid evaluation of new therapies.Stroke. 2005; 36: 1904-1909
- Three-dimensional ultrasound quantification of intensive statin treatment of carotid atherosclerosis.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2009; 35: 1763-1772
- Three-dimensional ultrasound angiography (power mode) for the quantification of carotid artery atherosclerosis.J Neuroimaging. 1997; 7: 40-45
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution - Non Commercial - ShareAlike |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Offer derivative works under a different CC license
Elsevier's open access license policy