- •The proatherogenic apoB-containing lipoprotein-bound Lp-PLA2 activity was significantly reduced after bariatric surgery.
- •Bariatric surgery reduced the concentration of circulating oxidised LDL in plasma.
- •A switch towards predominantly larger HDL particles was observed in all patients after surgery.
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of weight loss induced in morbidly obese subjects by Roux-en-Y gastric bypass bariatric surgery on the atherogenic features of their plasma lipoproteins.
Twenty-one morbidly obese subjects undergoing bariatric surgery were followed up for up to 1 year after surgery. Plasma and lipoproteins were assayed for chemical composition and lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 (Lp-PLA2) activity. Lipoprotein size was assessed by non-denaturing polyacrylamide gradient gel electrophoresis, and oxidised LDL by ELISA. Liver samples were assayed for mRNA abundance of oxidative markers.
Lipid profile analysis revealed a reduction in the plasma concentrations of cholesterol and triglycerides, which were mainly associated with a significant reduction in the plasma concentration of circulating apoB-containing lipoproteins rather than with changes in their relative chemical composition. All patients displayed a pattern A phenotype of LDL subfractions and a relative increase in the antiatherogenic plasma HDL-2 subfraction (>2-fold; P < 0.001). The switch towards predominantly larger HDL particles was due to an increase in their relative cholesteryl ester content. Excess weight loss also led to a significant decrease in the plasma concentration of oxidised LDL (∼−25%; P < 0.01) and in the total Lp-PLA2 activity. Interestingly, the decrease in plasma Lp-PLA2 was mainly attributed to a decrease in the apoB-containing lipoprotein-bound Lp-PLA2.
Our data indicate that the weight loss induced by bariatric surgery ameliorates the atherogenicity of plasma lipoproteins by reducing the apoB-containing Lp-PLA2 activity and oxidised LDL, as well as increasing the HDL-2 subfraction.
Abbreviations:apo (apolipoprotein), HDL (high-density lipoprotein), HDL-C (HDL cholesterol), LDL (low-density lipoprotein), LDL-C (LDL cholesterol), Lp-PLA2 (lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2), MSR1 (scavenger receptor A (SRA) gene), non-HDL-C (non-HDL cholesterol), OLR1 (oxidised (lectin-like) LDL receptor-1 gene), oxLDL (oxidised LDL), PLA2G7 (group VII phospholipase A2 gene), PON1 (plasma paraoxonase-(PON)1 gene), RYGBP (Roux-en-Y gastric bypass), SCARB1 (scavenger receptor B type I (SR-BI) gene), VLDL (very-low-density lipoprotein)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Atherosclerosis
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pathophysiology of human visceral obesity: an update.Physiol Rev. 2013; 93: 359-404
- Bariatric surgery for treatment of obesity.Int J Obes (Lond). 2011; 35: S16-S21
- European Guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice (version 2012): the Fifth Joint Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and Other Societies on Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice (constituted by representatives of nine societies and by invited experts).Atherosclerosis. 2012; 223: 1-68
- Bariatric surgery and cardiovascular risk factors: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2011; 123: 1683-1701
- Loss of total and visceral adipose tissue mass predicts decreases in oxidative stress after weight-loss surgery.Obes (Silver Spring). 2009; 17: 439-446
- Changes in oxidative stress and insulin resistance in morbidly obese patients after bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2010; 20: 363-368
- Weight change and lipoprotein particle concentration and particle size: a cohort study with 6.5-year follow-up.Atherosclerosis. 2012; 223: 239-243
- The impact of weight change on cardiovascular disease risk factors in young black and white adults: the CARDIA study.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2003; 27: 369-376
- The obesity paradox, weight loss, and coronary disease.Am J Med. 2009; 122: 1106-1114
- Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2004; 292: 1724-1737
- Effect of bariatric surgery on cardiovascular risk profile.Am J Cardiol. 2011; 108: 1499-1507
- Effect of bariatric surgery-induced weight loss on SR-BI-, ABCG1-, and ABCA1-mediated cellular cholesterol efflux in obese women.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 96: 1151-1159
- Effects of weight loss, induced by gastric bypass surgery, on HDL remodeling in obese women.J Lipid Res. 2010; 51: 2405-2412
- Relationship between cholesteryl ester transfer protein and atherogenic lipoprotein profile in morbidly obese women.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2002; 22: 1465-1469
- Resolution of hyperlipidemia follows surgical weight loss in patients undergoing Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery: a 6-year analysis of data.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2011; 7: 473-479
- Effects of weight loss on lipid transfer proteins in morbidly obese women.Lipids. 2009; 44: 1125-1130
- Lipoprotein sub-fraction levels and composition in obese subjects before and after gastroplasty.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1992; 16: 573-578
- Resolution of hyperlipidemia after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.J Am Coll Surg. 2006; 203: 24-29
- Chemerin correlates with markers for fatty liver in morbidly obese patients and strongly decreases after weight loss induced by bariatric surgery.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010; 95: 2892-2896
- Elevated plasma homocysteine concentrations six months after gastroplasty in morbidly obese subjects.Intern Med. 2001; 40: 584-588
- Circulating oxidized LDL: a biomarker and a pathogenic factor.Curr Opin Lipidol. 2009; 20: 363-369
- Changes in leptin, plasminogen activator factor and oxidative stress in morbidly obese patients following open and laparoscopic Swedish adjustable gastric banding.Obes Surg. 2004; 14: 659-665
- Antiatherogenic function of HDL particle subpopulations: focus on antioxidative activities.Curr Opin Lipidol. 2010; 21: 312-318
- Antiatherogenic small, dense HDL–guardian angel of the arterial wall?.Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med. 2006; 3: 144-153
- Seeking novel targets for improving in vivo macrophage-specific reverse cholesterol transport: translating basic science into new therapies for the prevention and treatment of atherosclerosis.Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2011; 9: 220-237
- High-density lipoproteins, inflammation and oxidative stress.Clin Sci (Lond). 2009; 116: 87-98
- Modulation of oxidative stress, inflammation, and atherosclerosis by lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2.J Lipid Res. 2012; 53: 1767-1782
- Non-conventional markers of atherosclerosis before and after gastric banding surgery.Eur Heart J. 2009; 30: 1516-1524
- Increased expression and activity of hepatic lipase in the liver of morbidly obese adult patients in relation to lipid content.Obes Surg. 2009; 19: 894-904
- Lipoprotein lipase expression in livers of morbidly obese patients could be responsible for liver steatosis.Obes Surg. 2009; 19: 608-616
- The relationships between IGF-1 and CRP, NO, leptin, and adiponectin during weight loss in the morbidly obese.Obes Surg. 2010; 20: 623-632
- Only C-reactive protein, but not TNF-alpha or IL6, reflects the improvement in inflammation after bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2012; 22: 131-139
- Alterations in the common pathway of coagulation during weight loss induced by gastric bypass in severely obese patients.Obes (Silver Spring). 2012; 20: 1048-1056
- Summary of the third report of the national cholesterol education program (NCEP) Expert panel on Detection, Evaluation, and treatment of high Blood cholesterol in adults (Adult treatment panel III).JAMA. 2001; 285: 2486-2497
- Impact of the LDL subfraction phenotype on Lp-PLA2 distribution, LDL modification and HDL composition in type 2 diabetes.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2013; 12: 112
- Density distribution of electronegative LDL in normolipemic and hyperlipemic subjects.J Lipid Res. 2002; 43: 699-705
- Ultracentrifugation micromethod for preparation of small experimental animal lipoproteins.Anal Biochem. 2002; 303: 73-77
- Five-year follow-up after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric and partial ileal bypass for treatment of morbid obesity and uncontrolled hyperlipidemia.Obes Surg. 2009; 19: 121-124
- Plasma lipoproteins and lipase and lecithin:cholesterol acyltransferase activities in obese subjects before and after weight reduction.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1987; 65: 969-973
- Plasma antioxidant capacity in morbidly obese patients before and after weight loss.Obes Surg. 2006; 16: 314-320
- Systemic oxidative stress is associated with visceral fat accumulation and the metabolic syndrome.Circ J. 2006; 70: 1437-1442
- Decrease in serum protein carbonyl groups concentration and maintained hyperhomocysteinemia in patients undergoing bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2009; 19: 321-326
- Circulating oxidized low density lipoprotein levels. A biochemical risk marker for coronary heart disease.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2000; 20: 2243-2247
- The oxidation hypothesis of atherogenesis: the role of oxidized phospholipids and HDL, J.Lipid Res. 2004; 45: 993-1007
- Lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A(2) mass and activity and risk of cardiovascular disease in a population with high prevalences of obesity and diabetes: the Strong Heart Study.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: 840-847
Published online: March 13, 2014
Accepted: February 17, 2014
Received in revised form: February 14, 2014
Received: November 26, 2013
© 2014 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.