- •We examined the association of plasma resistin levels and cardiovascular disease.
- •Events included AF, MI, angina, resuscitated cardiac arrest, stroke, HF and death.
- •Increased resistin was associated with HF, atherosclerotic CVD (all & hard) and CHD.
- •Associations remained significant after adjustment for traditional CV risk factors.
- •The association of resistin and CV events was greatest in the Hispanic population.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Measuring the global burden of disease.N. Engl. J. Med. 2013; 369: 448-457https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1201534
- Heart disease and stroke statistics–2014 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2013; 129: e28-e292https://doi.org/10.1161/01.cir.0000441139.02102.80
- Obesity and cardiovascular disease: risk factor, paradox, and impact of weight loss.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2009; 53: 1925-1932https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2008.12.068
- Human resistin in cardiovascular disease.J. Smooth Muscle Res. 2012; 48: 27-35
- Human resistin: found in translation from mouse to man.Trends Endocrinol. Metab. 2011; 22: 259-265https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tem.2011.03.005.Human
- The emerging role of adipokines as mediators of cardiovascular function: physiologic and clinical perspectives.Trends Cardiovasc. Med. 2007; 17: 275-283https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tcm.2007.09.005
- The hormone resistin links obesity to diabetes.Nature. 2001; 409: 307-312https://doi.org/10.1038/35053000
- The current biology of resistin.J. Intern. Med. 2004; 255: 439-447https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2796.2004.01306.x
- Role of resistin in diet-induced hepatic insulin resistance.J. Clin. Invest. 2004; 114: 232-239https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI21270
- Resistin messenger-RNA expression is increased by proinflammatory cytokines in vitro.Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2003; 309: 286-290https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2003.07.003
- Resistin is an inflammatory marker of atherosclerosis in humans.Circulation. 2005; 111: 932-939https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000155620.10387.43
- Circulating adiponectin and resistin levels in relation to metabolic factors, inflammatory markers, and vascular reactivity in diabetic patients and subjects at risk for diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2004; : 2450-2457https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.27.10.2450
- Resistin, an adipokine with potent proinflammatory properties.J. Immunol. 2005; 174: 5789-5795https://doi.org/10.1042/CS20050078
- An inflammatory cascade leading to hyperresistinemia in humans.PLoS Med. 2004; 1: e45https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0010045
- Resistin gene variation is associated with systemic inflammation but not plasma adipokine levels, metabolic syndrome or coronary atherosclerosis in nondiabetic Caucasians.Clin. Endocrinol. (Oxf). 2009; 70: 698-705https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2265.2008.03375.x
- Relationship between plasma resistin concentrations, inflammatory chemokines, and components of the metabolic syndrome in adults.Metabolism. 2008; 57: 494-501https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2007.11.010
- Adipokines as mediators of endothelial function and atherosclerosis.Atherosclerosis. 2013; 227: 216-221https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2012.12.029
- The potential role of resistin in atherogenesis.Atherosclerosis. 2005; 182: 241-248https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2005.02.014
- Role of resistin in cardiac contractility and hypertrophy.J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 2008; 45: 270-280https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yjmcc.2008.05.006
- Discovery of a new role of human resistin in hepatocyte low-density lipoprotein receptor suppression mediated in part by proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 9.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2012; 59: 1697-1705https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2011.11.064
- Resistin, adiponectin, and risk of heart failure the Framingham offspring study.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2009; 53: 754-762https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2008.07.073
- Association of adiponectin and resistin with cardiovascular events in Korean patients with type 2 diabetes: the Korean atherosclerosis study (KAS): a 42-month prospective study.Atherosclerosis. 2008; 196: 398-404https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2006.11.017
- Adipocytokines and the risk of coronary heart disease in healthy middle aged men: the PRIME Study.Int. J. Obes. (Lond). 2010; 34: 118-126https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2009.204
- Serum resistin, cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e64729https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0064729
- Prognostic value of circulating adipokine levels and expressions of adipokines in the myocardium of patients with chronic heart failure.Circ. J. 2012; 76: 2139-2147https://doi.org/10.1253/circj.CJ-11-1549
- Multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis: objectives and design.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2002; 156: 871-881https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwf113
- Plasma resistin, adiponectin, and risk of incident atrial fibrillation: the Framingham offspring study.Am. Heart J. 2012; 163: 119-124.e1https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2011.09.029
- Serum resistin concentrations and risk of new onset heart failure in older persons: the health, aging, and body composition (Health ABC) study.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2009; 29: 1144-1149https://doi.org/10.1161/ATVBAHA.109.186783
- Dynamics in insulin resistance and plasma levels of adipokines in patients with acute decompensated and chronic stable heart failure.J. Card. Fail. 2011; 17: 1004-1011https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2011.08.010
- Association of resistin with heart failure and mortality in patients with stable coronary heart disease: data from the heart and soul study.J. Card. Fail. 2011; 17: 24-30https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2010.08.007
- High leptin and resistin expression in chronic heart failure: adverse outcome in patients with dilated and inflammatory cardiomyopathy.Eur. J. Heart Fail. 2012; 14: 1265-1275https://doi.org/10.1093/eurjhf/hfs111
- Adipose tissue inflammation and adiponectin resistance in patients with advanced heart failure: correction after ventricular assist device implantation.Circ. Heart Fail. 2012; 5: 340-348https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.111.964031
- Relation of leptin to left ventricular hypertrophy (from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis).Am. J. Cardiol. 2013; 112: 726-730https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2013.04.053
- Relations of circulating resistin and adiponectin and cardiac structure and function: the Framingham offspring study.Obes. (Silver Spring). 2012; 20: 1882-1886https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2011.32
- The role of resistin as a regulator of inflammation: implications for various human pathologies.Clin. Immunol. 2009; 133: 157-170https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clim.2009.07.013
- Increased level of resistin predicts development of atrial fibrillation.J. Cardiol. 2014; 63: 308-312https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jjcc.2013.10.008
- Correlation between levels of circulating adipokines and adiponectin/resistin index with carotid intima-media thickness in hypertensive type 2 diabetic patients.Cardiology. 2013; 125: 150-153https://doi.org/10.1159/000348651
- Association of adiponectin, resistin, and vascular inflammation: analysis with 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2011; 31: 944-949https://doi.org/10.1161/ATVBAHA.110.220673