- •Oxysterols and oxyphytosterols were intraperitoneally applicated in apoE−/−mice.
- •Effects on vasculature, ROS, endothelial progenitor cells were evaluated.
- •Oxysterols increased ROS in arterial wall.
- •No effects on endothelial progenitor cells, endothelial function or atherosclerosis.
Abbreviations:EPC (endothelial progenitor cells), ESR (electron-spin resonance), i.p. (intraperitoneal), MNC (mononuclear cells), PSE (plant sterol esters), ROS (reactive oxygen species)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Serum cholesterol and ischaemic heart disease.Atherosclerosis. 1995; 118
- Summary of American heart association diet and lifestyle recommendations revision 2006.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2006; 26: 2186-2191
- Atherosclerosis – an inflammatory disease.N. Engl. J. Med. 1999; 340: 115-126
- Reduction of serum cholesterol with sitostanol-ester margarine in a mildly hypercholesterolemic population.N. Engl. J. Med. 1995; 333: 1308-1312
- Plant sterols from food in inflammation and risk of cardiovascular disease: a real threat.Food Chem. Toxicol. 2014; 69: 140-149
- Plant sterols in vegetables and fruits commonly consumed in Sweden.Eur. J. Nutr. 1999; 38: 84-89
- Oxidized plant sterols in human serum and lipid infusions as measured by combined gas-liquid chromatography-mass spctrometry.J. Lipid Res. 2001; 42: 2030-2038
- Oxyphytosterols are present in plasma of healthy human subjects.Br. J. Nutr. 2004; 91: 101-106
- Validation of an isotope dilution gas chromatopgraphy-mass spectrometry method for analysis of 7-oxygenated campesterol and sitosterol in human serum.Chem. Phys. Lipids. 2011; 164: 425-431
- Effects of plant sterol- or stanol-enriched margarine on fasting plasma oxyphytosterol concentrations in healthy subjects.Atherosclerosis. 2013; 227: 414-419
- Characterization of oxydative stress in blood from diabetics vs. hypercholesterolaemic patients, using a novel synthesized marker.Biomarkers. 2008; 13: 119-131
- Relevance and mechanism of oxysterol stereospecificity in coronary artery disease.Free Radic. Biol. Med. 2005; 38: 535-544
- Oxidized cholesterol in the diet accelerates the development of aortic atherosclerosis in cholesterol-fed rabbits.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 1998; 18: 977-983
- Oxidised plant sterols as well as oxycholesterol increase the proportion of severe atheroscleroitc lesions in female LDL receptor+/− mice.Br. J. Nutr. 2014; 111: 64-70
- Phytosterol oxidation products are absorbed in the intestinal lymphatics in rats but do not accelerate atherosclerosis in apoliporpotein E-deficient mice.J. Nutr. 2004; 134: 1690-1696
- Carbamylated low-density lipoprotein induces endothelia dysfunction.Eur. Heart J. 2014; 35: 3021-3032
- The dual PPAR/Y agonist aleglitazar increases the number and function of endothelial progenitor cells: implicationsfor vascular function and atherogenesis.Br. J. Pharmacol. 2014; 171: 2685-2703
- Physical inactivity increases oxidative stress, endothelial dysfunction, and atherosclerosis.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2005; 25: 809-814
- Vascular effects of diet supplementation with plant sterols.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2008; 51: 1553-1561
- Differential effects on inhibition of cholesterol absorption by plant stanol and plant sterol esters in apoE−/− mice.Cardiovasc Res. 2011; 90: 484-492
- Controversial role of plant sterol esters in the management of hypercholesterolemia.Eur. Heart J. 2009; 30: 404-409
- The relationships of markers of cholesterol homeostasis with carotid intima-media thickness.PLoS One. 2010; 18: e13467https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0013467
- Markers of enhanced cholesterol absorption are a strong predictor for cardiovascular diseases in patients without diabetes mellitus.Chem. Phys. Lipids. 2011; 164: 451-456
- Alterations in cholesterol homeostasis are associated with coronary artery disease in patients with aortic stenosis.Coron. Artery Dis. 2009; 20: 376-382
- Effects od a disrupted bood-brain barrier on cholesterol homeostasis in the brain.J. Biol. Chem. 2014; 289 (online before print): 23712-23722https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M114556159
- The relationsships of phytosterol and oxyphytosterols in plasma and aortic valve cusps in patients with severe aortic stenosis.Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2014; 446: 805-810
- Dietary phytosterol does not accumulate in the arterial wall and prevents atherosclerosis of LDLr-KO mice.Atherosclerosis. 2013; 231: 442-447
- Dietary phytosterol does not accumulate in the arterial wall and prevents atherosclerosis of LDLr-KO mice.Atherosclerosis. 2014; 233 (Invited commentary on the paper published by Bombo): 157-159
- Intestinal cholesterol absorption and cardiovascular risk.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2014; 63: 695-696