- •A reduced efficacy of clopidogrel has been reported in subjects with diabetes.
- •The definitions of “efficacy” have relied on ex vivo measurement of platelet function.
- •RCTs data do not suggest a different efficacy of clopidogrel in diabetes.
- •Limited data are available for other P2Y12 inhibitors in other clinical subgroups.
The efficacy of antiplatelet drugs may differ in specific patient subgroups. We aimed to assess the efficacy and safety of the P2Y12 inhibitors clopidogrel, ticlopidine, prasugrel, ticagrelor, and cangrelor according to diabetes status, age, gender, body mass index, and body weight.
Randomized clinical trials (RCTs) of P2Y12 inhibitors reporting information on cardiovascular disease (defined as myocardial infarction, stroke, or cardiovascular death) and bleeding (defined as any bleeding) events among the subgroups diabetes and non-diabetes, age ≥65 and <65 year-old, men and women, body mass index ≥30 and <30 kg/m2, and body weight ≥60 and <60 kg, were identified in Medline, Embase, Web of Science, and Cochrane Library on August 31st, 2014. For each inhibitor, random-effects meta-analyses were used to estimate the ratio of relative risks (rRR) for cardiovascular and bleeding events among patient subgroups.
Twenty distinct RCTs (233 285 participants, 21 323 cardiovascular and 5183 bleeding events) were identified. Cardiovascular risk reduction with clopidogrel did not significantly differ according to diabetes (rRR: 1.04; 95% CI: 0.95 to 1.13; p = 0.395), age (0.98; 0.88 to 1.09; p = 0.347), gender (0.97; 0.90 to 1.04; p = 0.382), or body mass index (1.11, 0.95 to 1.31; p = 0.191). Results for other inhibitors were comparable, although available data were sparse. Limited data on bleeding events were available.
Data from RCTs did not show a different cardiovascular efficacy of clopidogrel in diabetes mellitus and other clinically relevant subgroups. Limited information was available on the efficacy and safety of other P2Y12 inhibitors in specific subgroups.
Abbreviations:ASA (acetylsalicylic acid), BMI (body mass index), RCTs (randomized clinical trials), RR (relative risk), rRR (ratio of relative risk), T2DM (type 2 diabetes mellitus)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Atherosclerosis
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Drug insight: aspirin resistance–fact or fashion?.Nat. Clin. Pract. Cardiovasc. Med. 2007; 4: 42-50
- COX-1 sensitivity and TXA2 production in type 1 and type 2 diabetic patients under chronic aspirin treatment.Eur. Heart J. 2009; 30: 1279-1286
- Persistent platelet activation in patients with type 2 diabetes treated with low doses of aspirin.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2007; 5: 2197-2203
- Prevention of Progression of Arterial Disease and Diabetes Study Group; Diabetes Registry Group; Royal College of Physicians Edinburgh. The prevention of progression of arterial disease and diabetes (POPADAD) trial: factorial randomised placebo controlled trial of aspirin and antioxidants in patients with diabetes and asymptomatic peripheral arterial disease.BMJ. 2008; 337: 1030-1036
- Low-dose aspirin for primary prevention of atherosclerotic events in patients with type 2 diabetes. A randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2008; 300: 2134-2141
- Aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular events in people with diabetes: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.BMJ. 2009; 339 (b4531)
- Aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular events in people with diabetes: a position statement of the American Diabetes Association, a scientific statement of the American Heart Association, and an expert consensus document of the American College of Cardiology Foundation.Circulation. 2010; 121: 2694-2701
- Aspirin and clopidogrel resistance: an emerging clinical entity.Eur. Heart J. 2006; 27: 647-654
- Aspirin and clopidogrel: efficacy and resistance in diabetes mellitus.Best Pract. Res. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2009; 23: 375-388
- Response variability to P2Y12 receptor inhibitors: expectations and reality.JACC Cardiovasc. Interv. 2013; 6: 1111-1128
- Effect of smoking on comparative efficacy of antiplatelet agents: systematic review, meta-analysis, and indirect comparison.BMJ. 2013; 347 (f5307)
- Why have studies of tailored anti-platelet therapy failed so far?.Thromb. Haemost. 2013; 110: 628-631
- Aspirin for the primary prevention of cardiovascular events: a systematic review and meta-analysis comparing patients with and without diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 2300-2306
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.PLoS Med. 2009; 6 (e1000097)
- Assessing risk of bias in included studies.in: Higgins J.P.T. Green S. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. Cochrane Collaboration, 2011
- Interaction revisited: the difference between two estimates.BMJ. 2003; 326: 219
- Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test.BMJ. 1997; 315: 629-634
- Effect of clopidogrel added to aspirin in patients with atrial fibrillation.N. Engl. J. Med. 2009; 360: 2066-2078
- A randomised, blinded, trial of clopidogrel versus aspirin in patients at risk of ischaemic events (CAPRIE).Lancet. 1996; 348: 1329-1339
- Amplified benefit of clopidogrel versus aspirin in patients with diabetes mellitus.Am. J. Cardiol. 2002; 90: 625-628
- Clopidogrel with aspirin in acute minor stroke or transient ischemic attack.N. Engl. J. Med. 2013; 369: 11-19
- Clopidogrel and aspirin versus aspirin alone for the prevention of atherothrombotic events.N. Engl. J. Med. 2006; 354: 1706-1717
- Clinical outcomes of patients with diabetic nephropathy randomized to clopidogrel plus aspirin versus aspirin alone (a post hoc analysis of the clopidogrel for high atherothrombotic risk and ischemic stabilization, management, and avoidance [CHARISMA] trial).Am. J. Cardiol. 2009; 103: 1359-1363
- The relative efficacy and safety of clopidogrel in women and men a sex-specific collaborative meta-analysis.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2009; 54: 1935-1945
- Addition of clopidogrel to aspirin and fibrinolytic therapy for myocardial infarction with ST-segment elevation.N. Engl. J. Med. 2005; 352: 1179-1189
- COMMIT (ClOpidogrel and Metoprolol in Myocardial Infarction Trial) collaborative group. Addition of clopidogrel to aspirin in 45,852 patients with acute myocardial infarction: randomised placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1607-1621
- Clopidogrel for the reduction of events during observation. Early and sustained dual oral antiplatelet therapy following percutaneous coronary intervention: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2002; 288: 2411-2420
- Clopidogrel in unstable angina to prevent recurrent events trial investigators. Effects of clopidogrel in addition to aspirin in patients with acute coronary syndromes without ST-segment elevation.N. Engl. J. Med. 2001; 345: 494-502
- Dose comparisons of clopidogrel and aspirin in acute coronary syndromes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2010; 363: 930-942
- Aspirin and extended-release dipyridamole versus clopidogrel for recurrent stroke.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 359: 1238-1251
- Effects of clopidogrel added to aspirin in patients with recent lacunar stroke.N. Engl. J. Med. 2012; 367: 817-825
- The Canadian American Ticlopidine Study (CATS) in thromboembolic stroke.Lancet. 1989; 1: 1215-1220
- Adenosine-diphosphate (ADP) receptor antagonists for the prevention of cardiovascular disease in type 2 diabetes mellitus.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2012; 11 (CD005449)
- A randomized trial comparing ticlopidine hydrochloride with aspirin for the prevention of stroke in high-risk patients. Ticlopidine Aspirin Stroke Study Group.N. Engl. J. Med. 1989; 321: 501-507
- Pretreatment with prasugrel in non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndromes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2013; 369: 999-1010
- Prasugrel versus clopidogrel for acute coronary syndromes without revascularization.N. Engl. J. Med. 2012; 367: 1297-1309
- Prasugrel versus clopidogrel in patients with acute coronary syndromes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2007; 357: 2001-2015
- Greater clinical benefit of more intensive oral antiplatelet therapy with prasugrel in patients with diabetes mellitus in the trial to assess improvement in therapeutic outcomes by optimizing platelet inhibition with prasugrel-Thrombolysis in Myocardial Infarction 38.Circulation. 2008; 118: 1626-1636
- Ticagrelor versus clopidogrel in patients with acute coronary syndromes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2009; 361: 1045-1057
- Ticagrelor vs. clopidogrel in patients with acute coronary syndromes and diabetes: a substudy from the PLATelet inhibition and patient Outcomes (PLATO) trial.Eur. Heart J. 2010; 31: 3006-3016
- Ticagrelor versus clopidogrel in elderly patients with acute coronary syndromes: a substudy from the prospective randomized PLATelet inhibition and patient Outcomes (PLATO) trial.Circ. Cardiovasc. Qual. Outcomes. 2012; 5: 680-688
- Platelet inhibition with cangrelor in patients undergoing PCI.N. Engl. J. Med. 2009; 361: 2318-2329
- Effect of platelet inhibition with cangrelor during PCI on ischemic events.N. Engl. J. Med. 2013; 368: 1303-1313
- Intravenous platelet blockade with cangrelor during PCI.N. Engl. J. Med. 2009; 361: 2330-2341
- Association of clopidogrel treatment with risk of mortality and cardiovascular events following myocardial infarction in patients with and without diabetes.JAMA. 2012; 308: 882-889
- Female-specific aspects in the pharmacotherapy of chronic cardiovascular diseases.Eur. Heart J. 2005; 26: 1585-1595
- Is platelet inhibition due to thienopyridines increased in elderly patients, in patients with previous stroke and patients with low body weight as a possible explanation of an increased bleeding risk?.Neth. Heart J. 2011; 19: 279-284
- Impact of cytochrome P450 2C19 loss of function polymorphism and of major demographic characteristics on residual platelet function after loading and maintenance treatment with clopidogrel in patients undergoing elective coronary stent placement.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2010; 55: 2427-2434
- ESC guidelines on diabetes, pre-diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases developed in collaboration with the EASD: the task force on diabetes, pre-diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and developed in collaboration with the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD).Eur. Heart J. 2013; 34: 3035-3087
Published online: April 16, 2015
Accepted: April 13, 2015
Received in revised form: April 8, 2015
Received: March 20, 2015
© 2015 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.