- •We analyzed genetic sex-difference in cIMT a marker of subclinical atherosclerosis.
- •Genome wide interaction study was performed in a sample from NOMAS.
- •Sex–SNP interactions on cIMT was tested using regression analysis.
- •LEKR1 and GALNT10 genes influenced sex-specific development of cIMT.
- •Our study reveals multiple loci that may modulate sex difference in cIMT.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Atherosclerosis
- Executive summary: heart disease and stroke statistics–2014 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2014; 129: 399-410
Touboul, P.J., et al., Mannheim carotid intima-media thickness consensus (2004–2006). An Update on Behalf of the Advisory Board of the 3rd and 4th Watching the Risk Symposium, 13th and 15th European Stroke Conferences, Mannheim, Germany, 2004, and Brussels, Belgium, 2006. Cerebrovasc. Dis. 2007. 23(1): p. 75–80.
- Carotid wall thickness is predictive of incident clinical stroke: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2000; 151: 478-487
- Carotid-artery intima and media thickness as a risk factor for myocardial infarction and stroke in older adults.N. Engl. J. Med. 1999; 340 (Cardiovascular Health Study Collaborative Research Group): 14-22
- Traditional risk factors are not major contributors to the variance in carotid intima-media thickness.Stroke. 2013; 44: 2101-2108
- Heritability and linkage analysis for carotid intima-media thickness: the family study of stroke risk and carotid atherosclerosis.Stroke. 2009; 40: 2307-2312
- Genetic and environmental contributions to atherosclerosis phenotypes in men and women: heritability of carotid intima-media thickness in the Framingham Heart Study.Stroke. 2003; 34: 397-401
- Heritability of carotid artery intima-medial thickness in type 2 diabetes.Stroke. 2002; 33: 1876-1881
- Fine mapping study reveals novel candidate genes for carotid intima-media thickness in Dominican Republican families.Circ. Cardiovasc Genet. 2012; 5: 234-241
- Segment-specific genetic effects on carotid intima-media thickness: the Northern Manhattan study.Stroke. 2008; 39: 3159-3165
- Genetic architecture of carotid artery intima-media thickness in Mexican Americans.Circ. Cardiovasc. Genet. 2013; 6: 211-221
- Gender differences in carotid artery intima-media thickness and flow-mediated dilatation in young, physically active adults.J. Sports Med. Phys. Fit. 2014; 54: 298-306
- Age- and gender-associated determinants of carotid intima-media thickness: a community-based study.J. Atheroscler. Thromb. 2012; 19: 872-880
- Gender-specific differences in carotid intima-media thickness and its progression over three years: a multicenter European study.Nutr. Metab. Cardiovasc Dis. 2013; 23: 151-158
- Sex-differential genetic effect of phosphodiesterase 4D (PDE4D) on carotid atherosclerosis.BMC Med. Genet. 2010; 11: 93
- Race-ethnic disparities in the impact of stroke risk factors: the northern Manhattan stroke study.Stroke. 2001; 32: 1725-1731
- Genetic loci for blood lipid levels identified by linkage and association analyses in Caribbean Hispanics.J. Lipid Res. 2011; 52: 1411-1419
- Ideal cardiovascular health predicts lower risks of myocardial infarction, stroke, and vascular death across whites, blacks, and hispanics: the northern Manhattan study.Circulation. 2012; 125: 2975-2984
- Carotid intima-media thickness is associated with allelic variants of stromelysin-1, interleukin-6, and hepatic lipase genes: the Northern Manhattan Prospective Cohort Study.Stroke. 2002; 33: 1420-1423
- Design, baseline characteristics and carotid intima-media thickness reproducibility in the PARC study.Cerebrovasc. Dis. 2005; 19: 57-63
- Principal components analysis corrects for stratification in genome-wide association studies.Nat. Genet. 2006; 38: 904-909
- PLINK: a tool set for whole-genome association and population-based linkage analyses.Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2007; 81: 559-575
- Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing.J. R. Stat. Soc. Ser. B Methodol. 1995; 57: 289-300
- Sample size requirements for association studies of gene-gene interaction.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2002; 155: 478-484
- Variants in ADCY5 and near CCNL1 are associated with fetal growth and birth weight.Nat. Genet. 2010; 42: 430-435
- The chromosome 3q25 genomic region is associated with measures of adiposity in newborns in a multi-ethnic genome-wide association study.Hum. Mol. Genet. 2013; 22: 3583-3596
- The birth weight lowering C-allele of rs900400 near LEKR1 and CCNL1 associates with elevated insulin release following an oral glucose challenge.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e27096
- Characterization of a novel human UDP-GalNAc transferase, pp-GalNAc-T10.FEBS Lett. 2002; 531: 115-121
- A meta-analysis identifies new loci associated with body mass index in individuals of African ancestry.Nat. Genet. 2013; 45: 690-696
- Genome-wide association of BMI in African Americans.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2012; 20: 622-627
- Genetic and epigenetic control of metabolic health.Mol. Metab. 2013; 2: 337-347
- Genetics of ischemic stroke, stroke-related risk factors, stroke precursors and treatments.Pharmacogenomics. 2012; 13: 595-613
- Genetic and environmental contributions to carotid intima-media thickness and obesity phenotypes in the Northern Manhattan Family Study.Stroke. 2004; 35: 2243-2247
- Genome-wide interaction study identifies RCBTB1 as a modifier for smoking effect on carotid intima-media thickness.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2014; 34: 219-225
- Novel genetic variants modify the effect of smoking on carotid plaque burden in Hispanics.J. Neurol. Sci. 2014; 344: 27-31
- Sex differences in the regulation of body weight.Physiol. Behav. 2009; 97: 199-204