- •We examine the association between OSA severity and abdominal aortic calcification.
- •Abdominal aortic calcification increases in severe OSA.
- •Traditional risk factors are more potent to increase aortic calcification than OSA.
- •OSA may enhance atherosclerosis mainly through comorbid cardiometabolic disorders.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The incremental role of obstructive sleep apnoea on markers of atherosclerosis in patients with metabolic syndrome.Atherosclerosis. 2010; 208: 490-495
- Obstructive sleep apnea: an emerging risk factor for atherosclerosis.Chest. 2011; 140: 534-542
- Systematic review on noninvasive assessment of subclinical cardiovascular disease in obstructive sleep apnea: new kid on the block!.Sleep. Med. Rev. 2014; 18: 379-391
- Arterial calcification and not lumen stenosis is highly correlated with atherosclerotic plaque burden in humans: a histologic study of 723 coronary artery segments using nondecalcifying methodology.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1998; 31: 126-133
- Coronary calcium as a predictor of coronary events in four racial or ethnic groups.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 358: 1336-1345
- Calcification of the abdominal aorta as an independent predictor of cardiovascular events: a meta-analysis.Heart. 2012; 98: 988-994
- Independent association between obstructive sleep apnea and subclinical coronary artery disease.Chest. 2008; 133: 927-933
- Association of coronary artery calcification with obstructive sleep apnea and obesity in middle-aged men.Nutr. Metab. Cardiovasc. Dis. 2010; 20: 575-582
- Association of obstructive sleep apnoea with subclinical coronary atherosclerosis.Atherosclerosis. 2013; 231: 191-197
- Obstructive sleep apnea and progression of coronary artery calcium: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis study.J. Am. Heart Assoc. 2014; 3: e001241
- Quantification of coronary artery calcium using ultrafast computed tomography.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1990; 15: 827-832
- Association between plasma neutrophil gelatinase associated lipocalin level and obstructive sleep apnea or nocturnal intermittent hypoxia.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e54184
- The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events: Rules, Terminology and Technical Specifications.American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, IL, USA2007
- Differences in associations between visceral fat accumulation and obstructive sleep apnea by sex.Ann. Am. Thorac. Soc. 2014; 11: 383-391
- Executive summary of Japan Atherosclerosis Society (JAS) guideline for diagnosis and prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular diseases for Japanese.J. Atheroscler. Thromb. 2007; 14: 45-50
- Aortic calcification.Eur. J. Vasc. Endovasc. Surg. 2005; 30: 476-488
- Cardiovascular calcification: an inflammatory disease.Circ. J. 2011; 75: 1305-1313
- Findings from the PDAY study. Pathobiological determinants of atherosclerosis in youth (PDAY) research group.Arterioscler. Thromb. 1993; 13: 1291-1298
- Blood pressure and vascular calcification.Hypertension. 2010; 55: 990-997
- Abdominal aortic calcium and multi-site atherosclerosis: the multiethnic study of atherosclerosis.Atherosclerosis. 2011; 214: 436-441
- Relation of subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue to coronary and abdominal aortic calcium (from the Framingham Heart Study).Am. J. Cardiol. 2009; 104: 543-547
- Wall shear stress and early atherosclerosis: a review.AJR Am. J. Roentgenol. 2000; 174: 1657-1665
- New indices to classify location, severity and progression of calcific lesions in the abdominal aorta: a 25-year follow-up study.Atherosclerosis. 1997; 132: 245-250