- •This is the first study to prospectively investigate the positive impact of infections on cardiovascular disease.
- •Measles and mumps infections were associated with decreased risks of mortality from cardiovascular disease.
- •A higher number of infections was associated with a lower risk of mortality from cardiovascular disease.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Dual role of infections as risk factors for coronary heart disease.Atherosclerosis. 2007; 192: 370-375
- Enterovirus infections as a possible risk factor for myocardial infarction.Circulation. 1998; 98: 2534-2537
- Chlamydia pneumoniae, herpes simplex virus type 1, and cytomegalovirus and incident myocardial infarction and coronary heart disease death in older adults: the cardiovascular health Study.Circulation. 2000; 102: 2335-2340
- Infections, inflammation, and the risk of coronary heart disease.Circulation. 2000; 101: 252-257
- Infections, immunity, and atherosclerosis: associations of antibodies to Chlamydia pneumoniae, Helicobacter pylori, and cytomegalovirus with immune reactions to heat-shock protein 60 and carotid or femoral atherosclerosis.Circulation. 2000; 102: 833-839
- Prospective study of pathogen burden and risk of myocardial infarction or death.Circulation. 2001; 103: 45-51
- 99th Dahlem conference on infection, inflammation and chronic inflammatory disorders: Darwinian medicine and the ‘hygiene’ or ‘old friends’ hypothesis.Clin. Exp. Immunol. 2010; 160: 70-79
- Measles virus nucleoprotein induces a regulatory immune response and reduces atherosclerosis in mice.Circulation. 2007; 116: 1707-1713
- Age-related changes in the rate of disease transmission: implications for the design of vaccination programmes.J. Hyg. (Lond). 1985; 94: 365-436
- Cohort profile of the Japan collaborative cohort study at final follow-up.J. Epidemiol. 2013; 23: 227-232
- Measles and measles vaccine in Japan.Nagoya J. Med. Sci. 1993; 55: 23-32
- The effect of infections on susceptibility to autoimmune and allergic diseases.N. Engl. J. Med. 2002; 347: 911-920
- Early respiratory infections, asthma, and allergy: 10-year follow-up of the Oslo birth cohort.Pediatrics. 2005; 116: 255-262
- Oral anti-CD3 antibody treatment induces regulatory T cells and inhibits the development of atherosclerosis in mice.Circulation. 2009; 120: 1996-2005
- Stroke incidence and case fatality in Shiga, Japan 1989-1993.Int. J. Epidemiol. 1999; 28: 1059-1065
- Heart disease deaths in a Japanese urban area evaluated by clinical and police records.Circulation. 1994; 89: 109-115