- •Levels of LDL-C vary widely among patients with familial hypercholesterolemia.
- •It can be hypothesized that patients identified early in a cascade screening setting express a more severe phenotype.
- •However, we found no association between distance-to-index and LDL-C or CVD risk.
- •These findings lend support for genetic cascade testing in familial hypercholesterolemia.
Background and aim
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Diagnosis and treatment of familial hypercholesterolaemia.Eur. Heart J. 2013; 34: 962-971
- Discriminative ability of LDL-cholesterol to identify patients with familial hypercholesterolemia: a cross-sectional study in 26 406 individuals tested for genetic FH.Circ. Cardiovasc. Genet. 2012; 5: 354-359
- Development of sensitive and specific age- and gender-specific low-density lipoprotein cholesterol cutoffs for diagnosis of first-degree relatives with familial hypercholesterolaemia in cascade testing.Clin. Chem. Lab. Med. 2008; 46: 791-803
- Two years after molecular diagnosis of familial hypercholesterolemia: majority on cholesterol-lowering treatment but a minority reaches treatment goal.PLoS One. 2010; 5: e9220
- Reduced penetrance of autosomal dominant hypercholesterolemia in a high percentage of families: importance of genetic testing in the entire family.Atherosclerosis. 2011; 218: 423-430
- Assessment of carotid atherosclerosis in normocholesterolemic individuals with proven mutations in the low-density lipoprotein receptor or apolipoprotein B genes.Circ. Cardiovasc. Genet. 2011; 4: 413-417
- LDLR Database.2007(accessed August 21, 2015)
- Cardiovascular disease in familial hypercholesterolaemia: influence of low-density lipoprotein receptor mutation type and classic risk factors.Atherosclerosis. 2008; 200: 315-321
- Clinical expression of familial hypercholesterolemia in clusters of mutations of the LDL receptor gene that cause a receptor-defective or receptor-negative phenotype.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2000; 20: e41-e52
- Spectrum of mutations and phenotypic expression in patients with autosomal dominant hypercholesterolemia identified in Italy.Atherosclerosis. 2013; 227: 342-348
- Canadian cardiovascular society position statement – recommendations for the diagnosis and treatment of dyslipidemia and prevention of cardiovascular disease.Can. J. Cardiol. 2006; 22: 913-927
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia is underdiagnosed and undertreated in the general population: guidance for clinicians to prevent coronary heart disease.Eur. Heart J. 2013; 34: 3478a-3490a
- Cost effectiveness analysis of different approaches of screening for familial hypercholesterolaemia.BMJ. 2002; 324: 1303
- Probabilistic cost-effectiveness analysis of cascade screening for familial hypercholesterolaemia using alternative diagnostic and identification strategies.Heart. 2011; 97: 1175-1181
- Use of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol gene score to distinguish patients with polygenic and monogenic familial hypercholesterolaemia: a case-control study.Lancet. 2013; 381: 1293-1301
- Functionality of sequence variants in the genes coding for the low-density lipoprotein receptor and apolipoprotein B in individuals with inherited hypercholesterolemia.Hum. Mutat. 2010; 31: 752-760
- Cardiovascular risk in relation to functionality of sequence variants in the gene coding for the low-density lipoprotein receptor: a study among 29,365 individuals tested for 64 specific low-density lipoprotein-receptor sequence variants.Eur. Heart J. 2012; 33: 2325-2330
- Evaluation of the cholestech L.D.X. desktop analyser for cholesterol, HDL-cholesterol, and triacylglycerols in heparinized venous blood.Eur. J. Clin. Chem. Clin. Biochem. 1994; 32: 391-394
- Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge.Clin. Chem. 1972; 18: 499-502
- Severe heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia and risk for cardiovascular disease: a study of a cohort of 14, 000 mutation carriers.Atherosclerosis. 2014; 233: 219-223
- The molecular basis of familial hypercholesterolemia in The Netherlands.Hum. Genet. 2001; 109: 602-615
- Molecular genetic testing for familial hypercholesterolemia: spectrum of LDL receptor gene mutations in The Netherlands.Clin. Genet. 2000; 57: 116-124
- The “Hmisc” Package, Version 3.14-4.2014(accessed July 23, 2014)
- Genetic variation in APOB, PCSK9, and ANGPTL3 in carriers of pathogenic autosomal dominant hypercholesterolemic mutations with unexpected low LDL-Cl Levels.Hum. Mutat. 2012; 33: 448-455
- PCSK9 R46L, lower LDL, and cardiovascular disease risk in familial hypercholesterolemia: a cross-sectional cohort study.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2014; 34: 2700-2705
- Genetic modulators of the phenotype in the long QT syndrome: state of the art and clinical impact.Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 2015; 33: 17-24