- •2013 ACC/AHA cholesterol guideline was controversial and had sub-optimal adherence.
- •We offered case based educational intervention to assess improvement in provider-level knowledge gaps.
- •The intervention was associated with 16–53% absolute improvement in knowledge domain.
- •There was 4–36% improvement in attitude domain.
- •An engaging case based intervention can help in effective dissemination of the cholesterol guideline.
Abbreviations:ACC/AHA (American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association), ASCVD (atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease), ATP-III (adult treatment panel III), CHD (coronary heart disease), FH (familial hypercholesterolemia), LDL-C (low-density lipoprotein cholesterol), MI (myocardial infarction)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- 2013 ACC/AHA guideline on the treatment of blood cholesterol to reduce atherosclerotic cardiovascular risk in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart association task force on practice guidelines.Circulation. 2014; 129: S1-S45
- Executive summary of the third report of the national cholesterol education program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (adult treatment panel III).JAMA. 2001; 285: 2486-2497
- Statins: new American guidelines for prevention of cardiovascular disease.Lancet. 2013; 382: 1762-1765
- Application of new cholesterol guidelines to a population-based sample.N. Engl. J. Med. 2014; 370: 1422-1431
- Implications of the new American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association cholesterol guidelines for primary atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease event prevention in a multi ethnic cohort: multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis (MESA).Am. Heart J. 2015; 169 (387–395 e383)
- 2013 ACC/AHA cholesterol treatment guideline: what was done well and what could be done better.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2014; 63: 2674-2678
- Implications of the 2013 ACC/AHA cholesterol guidelines for adults in contemporary cardiovascular practice: insights from the NCDR PINNACLE registry.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2014; 64: 2183-2192
- Gender disparities in evidence-based statin therapy in patients with cardiovascular disease.Am. J. Cardiol. 2015; 115: 21-26
Y. Pokharel, R. Hira, V. Nambi, T. Shah, L. Woodard, J. Akeroyd, D. Winchester, D. Ramsey, C. Ballantyne, L. Petersen, S. Virani, Statin use and its Facility-Level Variation in a National Sample of Diabetic Patients, Diabetes. 64 (Suppl. 1) (A101–A187):691-P.
- The new lipid guidelines: what do primary care clinicians think?.Am. J. Med. 2015; 128 (914 e915–914 e910)
S.S. Virani, Y. Pokharel, L. Steinberg, et al., Provider Understanding of the 2013 ACC/AHA Cholesterol Guideline, J. Clin. Lipidol. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jacl.2015.1011.1002.
- Why don't physicians follow clinical practice guidelines? A framework for improvement.JAMA. 1999; 282: 1458-1465
- Barriers to non-HDL cholesterol goal attainment by providers.Am. J. Med. 2011; 124 (876–880 e872)
- Non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol calculation and goal awareness among physicians-in-training.J. Clin. Lipidol. 2012; 6: 50-57
- Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing.J. R. Stat. Soc. Ser. B Methodol. 1995; 57: 2289-2300
- Interventions to improve outpatient referrals from primary care to secondary care.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2008; 4: CD005471
- Continuing education meetings and workshops: effects on professional practice and health care outcomes.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2009; 2: CD003030
- Educational outreach visits: effects on professional practice and health care outcomes.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2007; 4: CD000409
- Improving Patient Care the Implementation of Change in Health Care.second ed. John Wiley & Sons, Somerset, NJ, USA2013
- Effects of continuing medical education on improving physician clinical care and patient health: a review of systematic reviews.Int. J. Technol. Assess. Health Care. 2005; 21: 380-385
- Effectiveness of continuing medical education.Evid. Rep. Technol. Assess. Full Rep. 2007; 149: 1-69
- The Ontario printed educational message (OPEM) trial to narrow the evidence-practice gap with respect to prescribing practices of general and family physicians: a cluster randomized controlled trial, targeting the care of individuals with diabetes and hypertension in Ontario, Canada.Implement Sci. 2007; 2: 37
- Comparison of the instructional efficacy of Internet-based CME with live interactive CME workshops: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2005; 294: 1043-1051