- •Atherosclerosis is characterized by endothelial dysfunction, smooth muscle cell proliferation and inflammation.
- •Our study shows the role of transcription factor, NFATc1 in hyperinsulinemia induced proliferation and migration of VSMCs.
- •This study advocates the coordinated augmentation of NFATc1 and NOD signaling in the proliferation and migration of VSMCs.
- •In patients with type 2 diabetes, expression of NFATc1 and NOD1/2 showed positive correlation with insulin resistance.
Methods and results
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Insulin induces the release of vasodilator compounds from platelets by nitric oxide-G Kinase-VAMP-3-dependent pathway.J. Exp. Med. 2004; 199: 347-356
- Contribution of insulin resistance to vascular dysfunction.Arch. Physiol. Biochem. 2009; 115: 199-217
- Molecular mechanisms of insulin resistance that impact cardiovascular biology.Diabetes. 2004; 53: 2735-2740
- Pathogenesis of atherosclerosis-A multifactorial process.Exp. Clin. Cardiol. 2002; 7: 40-53
- Hyperinsulinemia-induced vascular smooth muscle cell (VSMC) migration and proliferation is mediated by converging mechanisms of mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress.Mol. Cell. Biochem. 2013; 373: 95-105
- Complex regulation and function of the inflammatory smooth muscle cell phenotype in atherosclerosis.J. Vasc. Res. 2010; 47: 168-180
- Role of Toll-like receptors in cardiovascular diseases.Clin. Sci. 2011; 121: 1-10
- TLR 2 induces vascular smooth muscle cell migration through cAMP response element-binding protein-mediated interleukin-6 production.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2012; 32: 2751-2760
- Innate recognition of intracellular bacteria.Curr. Opin. Immunol. 2007; 19: 10-16
- The Nlrp3 inflammasome promotes myocardial dysfunction in structural cardiomyopathy through interleukin-1beta.Exp. Physiol. 2013; 98: 462-472
- NOD2 agonist promotes the production of inflammatory cytokines in VSMC in synergy with TLR2 and TLR4 agonists.Sci. World J. 2012; 2012: 607157
- Convergence of innate immunity and insulin resistance as evidenced by increased nucleotide oligomerization domain (NOD) expression and signaling in monocytes from patients with type 2 diabetes.Cytokine. 2013; 64: 564-770
- NFAT:ubiquitous regulator of cell differentiation and adaptation.J. Cell. Biol. 2002; 4: 771-774
- NFAT signaling and the invention of vertebrates.Trends Cell. Biol. 2007; 17: 251-260
- Transcription factors of the NFAT family: regulation and function.Annu. Rev. Immunol. 1997; 15: 707-747
- Nuclear presence of nuclear factor of activated T cells (NFAT) c3 and c4 is required for toll-like receptor-activated innate inflammatory response of monocytes/macrophages.Cell. Signal. 2011; 23: 1785-1793
- High glucose activates nuclear factor of activated t cells in native vascular smooth muscle.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2006; 26: 794-800
- Novel blocker of NFAT activation inhibits IL-6 production in human myometrial arteries and reduces vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation.Am. J. Physiol. Cell. Physiol. 2007; 292: C1167-C1178
- The Chennai urban rural epidemiology study (CURES)–study design and methodology (urban component) (CURES-I).J. Assoc. Phys. India. 2003; 51: 863-870
- Prevalence of insulin resistance syndrome in a selected south Indian population–the Chennai urban population study-7 (CUPS-7).Indian J. Med. Res. 2002; 115: 118-127
- Role of transcription factor NFAT in glucose and insulin homeostasis.Mol. Cell. Biol. 2006; 26: 7372-7387
- Sarco/endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase gene transfer reduces vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation and neointima formation in the rat.Circ. Res. 2005; 97: 488-495
- Calcineurin-NFAT signaling is involved in phenylephrine-induced vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation.Acta Pharmacol. Sin. 2009; 30: 537-544
- Blockade of nuclear factor of activated T cells activation signaling suppresses balloon injury-induced neointima formation in a rat carotid artery model.J. Biol. Chem. 2005; 280: 14700-14708
- Nucleocytoplasmic shuttling and the control of NF-AT signaling.Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 2000; 57: 411-420
- Immune and inflammatory mechanisms of atherosclerosis.Annu. Rev. Immunol. 2009; 27: 165-197
- Interleukin-1beta-induced insulin resistance in adipocytes through downregulation of insulin receptor substrate-1 expression.Endocrinol. 2007; 148: 241-251
- Interleukin-1-receptor antagonist in type 2 diabetes mellitus.N. Engl. J. Med. 2007; 356: 1517-1526
- Blockade of interleukin 1 in type 1 diabetes mellitus.Nat. Rev. Endocrinol. 2010; 6: 158-166
- The prognostic value of IL-8 for cardiac events and restenosis in patients with coronary heart diseases after percutaenous coronary intervention.Jpn. Heart J. 2003; 44: 623-632
- Toll-like receptors and NLRP3 as central regulators of pancreatic islet inflammation in type 2 diabetes.Immunol. Cell. Biol. 2014; 92: 314-323
- Nalp3 inflammasome is activated and required for vascular smooth muscle cell calcification.Int. J. Cardiol. 2013; 168: 2242-2247
- Pivotal role of NOD2 in inflammatory processes affecting atherosclerosis and periodontal bone loss.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 2013; 110: E5059-E5068
- NOD2-mediated innate immune signaling regulates the eicosanoids in atherosclerosis.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2013; 33: 2193-2201
- Nucleotide-binding oligomerization domain 2 receptor is expressed in platelets and enhances platelet activation and thrombosis.Circulation. 2015; 131: 1160-1170
- The role of NFAT transcription factors in integrin-mediated carcinoma invasion.Nat. Cell. Biol. 2002; 4: 540-544
- Targeting calcineurin activation as a therapeutic strategy for T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia.Nat. Med. 2007; 13: 736-741