- •Central blood pressure measures increase with age and heighten cardiovascular risk.
- •Nutritional supplements may reduce central blood pressures.
- •This RCT investigated 16-weeks multivitamin supplementation versus placebo in healthy older adults.
- •No effect of supplementation was observed for any measure of central or brachial blood pressure.
Background and aims
Central blood pressure rises with age, which increases cardiovascular risk. There is some evidence that nutritional supplements may be useful to reduce central blood pressures in older people, but no studies have investigated the effects of multivitamin supplements for this purpose. This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study investigated the effects of 16-weeks supplementation with gender-specific multivitamin and herbal supplements.
Participants were healthy individuals, free from heart disease, and included 160 females aged ≥50 and 79 males aged 50–65 years. Analyses of co-variance, correcting for baseline cardiovascular assessments, were used to determine the effects of supplementation on central cardiovascular measures including augmentation index, augmentation pressure and pulse pressure. Significance was set at p = 0.016.
No effects of multivitamin supplementation were observed in either males or females (respectively) for central augmentation index (p = 0.841; p = 0.296), central augmentation pressure (p = 0.794; p = 0.442), and central pulse pressure (p = 0.078; p = 0.304). Similarly, there was no treatment effect observed for brachial systolic, diastolic or pulse pressures.
Four months multivitamin supplementation does not appear to exert any benefit to measures of central blood pressure in healthy older people.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Atherosclerosis
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Antioxidant vitamin supplementation reduces arterial stiffness in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J. Nutr. 2014; 144: 1594-1602
- Effect of high doses of vitamin D on arterial properties, adiponectin, leptin and glucose homeostasis in type 2 diabetic patients.Clin. Nutr. 2013; 32: 970-975
- Estimation of Central aortic pressure waveform by mathematical transformation of radial tonometry pressure: validation of generalized transfer function.Circulation. 1997; 95: 1827-1836
- Why do homocysteine-lowering B vitamin and antioxidant E vitamin supplementations appear to be ineffective in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases?.Cardiovasc. Ther. 2012; 30: 227-233
- Is augmentation index a good measure of vascular stiffness in the elderly?.Age Ageing. 2007; 36: 43-48
- Antioxidant vitamins and their use in preventing cardiovascular disease.Molecules. 2010; 15: 8098-8110
- A randomized controlled trial of the effects of vitamin D supplementation on arterial stiffness and aortic blood pressure in native American women.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 240: 526-528
- A prospective randomized controlled trial of the effects of Vitamin D supplementation on cardiovascular disease risk.PLoS One. 2012; : 7
- Multivariate Data Analysis.Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, N.J1998
- Improved blood biomarkers but no cognitive effects from 16 weeks of multivitamin supplementation in healthy older adults.Nutrients. 2015; 7: 3796-3812
- Arterial stiffness: clinical relevance, measurement, and treatment.Rev. Cardiovasc. Med. 2001; 2 (37): 29-34
- Aortic augmentation index: reference values in a large unselected population by means of the sphygmocor device.Am. J. Hypertens. 2010; 23: 180-185
- An analysis of the relationship between central aortic and peripheral upper limb pressure waves in man.Eur. Heart J. 1993; 14: 160-167
- Lack of effect of acute oral ingestion of vitamin C on oxidative stress, arterial stiffness or blood pressure in healthy subjects.Free Radic. Res. 2008; 42: 514-522
- Dietary supplement use pattern of U.S. adult population in the 2007-2008 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES).Ecol. Food Nutr. 2013; 52: 76-84
- Randomized controlled trial of the effect of short-term coadministration of methylcobalamin and folate on serum ADMA concentration in patients receiving long-term hemodialysis.Am. J. Kidney Dis. 2010; 55: 1069-1078
- Central arterial aging and the epidemic of systolic hypertension and atherosclerosis.J. Am. Soc. Hypertens. 2007; 1: 302-340
- Effect of cholecalciferol supplementation during winter months in patients with hypertension: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial.Am. J. Hypertens. 2012; 25: 1215-1222
- Expert consensus document on arterial stiffness: methodological issues and clinical applications.Eur. Heart J. 2006; 27: 2588-2605
- Memory improvements in elderly women following 16 weeks treatment with a combined multivitamin, mineral and herbal supplement - a randomised controlled trial.Psychopharmacology. 2012; 220: 351-365
- Neurocognitive effects of multivitamin supplementation on the steady state visually evoked potential (SSVEP) measure of brain activity in elderly women.Physiol. Behav. 2012; 107: 346-354
- The effect of vitamin D supplementation on arterial stiffness in an elderly community-based population.J. Am. Soc. Hypertens. 2015; 9: 176-183
- Effects of central arterial aging on the structure and function of the peripheral vasculature: implications for end-organ damage.J. Appl. Physiol. 2008; 105: 1652-1660
- Protective effects of ascorbic acid on arterial hemodynamics during acute hyperglycemia.Am. J. Physiol. – Heart Circ. Physiol. 2004; 287: H1262-H1268
- Ascorbic acid reduces blood pressure and arterial stiffness in type 2 diabetes.Hypertension. 2002; 40: 804-809
- Arterial stiffness, wave reflection, wave amplification: basic concepts, principles of measurement and analysis in humans.Blood Press. Arterial Wall Mech. Cardiovasc. Dis. 2015; : 3-14
- Prospective evaluation of a method for estimating ascending aortic pressure from the radial artery pressure waveform.Hypertension. 2001; 38: 932-937
- Recommendations for blood pressure measurement in humans and experimental animals: part 1: blood pressure measurement in humans - a statement for professionals from the subcommittee of professional and public education of the American heart association council on high blood pressure research.Circulation. 2005; 111: 697-716
- Supplementation with vitamins C and E improves arterial stiffness and endothelial function in essential hypertensive patients.Am. J. Hypertens. 2007; 20: 392-397
- Arterial compliance and vitamin E blood levels with a self emulsifying preparation of tocotrienol rich vitamin E.Arch. Pharm. Res. 2008; 31: 1212-1217
- Dose dependent elevation of plasma tocotrienol levels and its effect on arterial compliance, plasma total antioxidant status, and lipid profile in healthy humans supplemented with tocotrienol rich vitamin E.J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol. 2006; 52: 473-478
- Vascular effects of antihypertensive drug therapy.Curr. Hypertens. Rep. 2010; 12: 226-232
- Central pressure more strongly relates to vascular disease and outcome than does brachial pressure: the strong heart study.Hypertension. 2007; 50: 197-203
- The effect of high-dose vitamin D supplementation on insulin resistance and arterial stiffness in patients with type 2 diabetes.Korean J. Intern. Med. 2014; 29: 620-629
- Older adults who use vitamin/mineral supplements differ from nonusers in nutrient intake adequacy and dietary attitudes.J. Am. Diet. Assoc. 2007; 107: 1322-1332
- Dietary supplements in a national survey: prevalence of use and reports of adverse events.J. Am. Diet. Assoc. 2006; 106: 1966-1974
- Effects of pre- vs. intra-dialysis folic acid on arterial wave reflections and endothelial function in patients with end-stage renal disease.Br. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 2008; 66 (+743): 717-722
- Prediction of cardiovascular events and all-cause mortality with central haemodynamics: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur. Heart J. 2010; 31: 1865-1871
- The role of vascular biomarkers for primary and secondary prevention. A position paper from the European society of cardiology working group on peripheral circulation. Endorsed by the association for research into arterial structure and physiology (ARTERY) Society.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 241: 507-532
- Growth and ageing.in: Lanham-new S.A. Macdonald I.A. Nutrition and Metabolism.second ed. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, West Sussex, UK2011
- Acute methionine loading does not alter arterial stiffness in humans.J. Cardiovasc. Pharmacol. 2001; 37: 1-5
- Oral vitamin C reduces arterial stiffness and platelet aggregation in humans.J. Cardiovasc. Pharmacol. 1999; 34: 690-693
- Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in the atherosclerosis and folic acid supplementation trial (asfast) in chronic renal failure: a multicenter, randomized, controlled trial.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2006; 47: 1108-1116
Published online: January 19, 2016
Accepted: January 18, 2016
Received in revised form: January 12, 2016
Received: October 7, 2015
© 2016 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.