- •Estimates from association studies can be biased due to the “winner's curse”.
- •We validated the cIMT loci reported by the CHARGE consortium in four studies.
- •We address the winner's curse and present unbiased estimates for these loci.
- •We performed a fine-mapping in 100 kb around each CHARGE top hit.
- •Independent variants around each CHARGE lead SNP showed larger effects.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Genetics of ultrasonographic carotid atherosclerosis.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2004; 24: 1567-1577
- Genome-wide association study for subclinical atherosclerosis in major arterial territories in the NHLBI's Framingham Heart Study.BMC Med. Genet. 2007; 8: S4
- Genetic effects on carotid intima-media thickness: systematic assessment and meta-analyses of candidate gene polymorphisms studied in more than 5000 subjects.Circ. Cardiovasc Genet. 2010; 3: 15-21
- Meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies from the CHARGE consortium identifies common variants associated with carotid intima media thickness and plaque.Nat. Genet. 2011; 43: 940-947
- Curses–winner's and otherwise–in genetic epidemiology.Epidemiology. 2008; 19: 649-651
- Heritability of carotid artery atherosclerotic lesions: an ultrasound study in 154 families.Stroke. 2005; 36: 5-8
- Assessment of clinically silent atherosclerotic disease and established and novel risk factors for predicting myocardial infarction and cardiac death in healthy middle-aged subjects: rationale and design of the Heinz Nixdorf RECALL Study. Risk Factors, Evaluation of Coronary Calcium and Lifestyle.Am. Heart J. 2002; 144: 212-218
- Genetic architecture of the APM1 gene and its influence on adiponectin plasma levels and parameters of the metabolic syndrome in 1,727 healthy Caucasians.Diabetes. 2006; 55: 375-384
- Toll-like receptor 4 polymorphisms and atherogenesis.N. Engl. J. Med. 2002; 347: 185-192
- METAL: fast and efficient meta-analysis of genomewide association scans.Bioinformatics. 2010; 26: 2190-2191
- PBAT: tools for family-based association studies.Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2004; 74: 367-369
- Power and robustness of sib-pair linkage tests and extension to larger sibships.Commun. Statistics–Theory Methods. 1982; 11: 449-484
- LocusZoom: regional visualization of genome-wide association scan results.Bioinformatics. 2010; 26: 2336-2337
- Look beyond one's own nose: combination of information from publicly available sources reveals an association of GATA4 polymorphisms with plasma triglycerides.Atherosclerosis. 2011; 219: 698-703
- ENCODE whole-genome data in the UCSC Genome Browser.Nucleic Acids Res. 2010; 38: D620-D625
- Transcriptional enhancers: from properties to genome-wide predictions.Nat. Rev. Genet. 2014; 15: 272-286
- Predictive chromatin signatures in the mammalian genome.Hum. Mol. Genet. 2009; 18: R195-R201
- Identification and analysis of functional elements in 1% of the human genome by the ENCODE pilot project.Nature. 2007; 447: 799-816
- (ENCyclopedia Of DNA Elements) Project.Science. 2004; 306: 636-640
- ENCODE data in the UCSC Genome Browser: year 5 update.Nucleic Acids Res. 2013; 41: D56-D63
- The importance of synthetic associations will only be resolved empirically.PLoS Biol. 2011; 9: e1001008
- The impact of low-frequency and rare variants on lipid levels.Nat. Genet. 2015; 47: 589-597
- Sequencing of 2 subclinical atherosclerosis candidate regions in 3669 individuals: Cohorts for Heart and Aging Research in Genomic Epidemiology (CHARGE) Consortium Targeted Sequencing Study.Circ. Cardiovasc Genet. 2014; 7: 359-364
- Eight genetic loci associated with variation in lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 mass and activity and coronary heart disease: meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies from five community-based studies.Eur. Heart J. 2012; 33: 238-251
- APOE/C1/C4/C2 gene cluster genotypes, haplotypes and lipid levels in prospective coronary heart disease risk among UK healthy men.Mol. Med. 2010; 16: 389-399
- Quantifying heterogeneity in a meta-analysis.Stat. Med. 2002; 21: 1539-1558