- •The first report of cysteine protease legumain quantification in plasma from patients with carotid stenosis.
- •Elevated plasma legumain in patients versus controls, which can be used as an early marker of atherosclerotic disease.
- •Plaques from patients with recent symptoms has increased legumain expression.
- •Legumain is localized with pro-inflammatory M1 and pro-resolving M2 macrophages, as well as foam cells, in carotid lesions.
- •Secretion of legumain is significantly higher from M1 than M2 macrophages.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Atherosclerosis. the road ahead.Cell. 2001; 104: 503-516
- Nonresolving inflammation.Cell. 2010; 140: 871-882
- Activation of murine macrophages.Curr. Protoc. Immunol. 2008 Nov; (Chapter 14):Unit 14.2https://doi.org/10.1002/0471142735.im1402s83
- Atherosclerotic plaque stability–what determines the fate of a plaque?.Prog. Cardiovasc Dis. 2008; 51: 183-194
- Progress and challenges in translating the biology of atherosclerosis.Nature. 2011; 473: 317-325
- The vascular biology of atherosclerosis.Am. J. Med. 2003; 115: 55S-61S
- Matrix metalloproteinases: what do they not do? New substrates and biological roles identified by murine models and proteomics.Biochimica biophysica acta. 2010; 1803: 39-54
- Activation of progelatinase A by mammalian legumain, a recently discovered cysteine proteinase.Biol. Chem. 2001; 382: 777-783
- Asparagine endopeptidase is required for normal kidney physiology and homeostasis.FASEB J. Official Publ. Fed. Am. Soc. Exp. Biol. 2011; 25: 1606-1617
- Biosynthetic processing of cathepsins and lysosomal degradation are abolished in asparaginyl endopeptidase-deficient mice.J. Biol. Chem. 2003; 278: 33194-33199
- Legumain/asparaginyl endopeptidase controls extracellular matrix remodeling through the degradation of fibronectin in mouse renal proximal tubular cells.FEBS Lett. 2007; 581: 1417-1424
- Activation of legumain involves proteolytic and conformational events, resulting in a context- and substrate-dependent activity profile.Acta Crystallogr. Sect. F. Struct. Biol. Cryst. Commun. 2012; 68: 24-31
- Multistep autoactivation of asparaginyl endopeptidase in vitro and in vivo.J. Biol. Chem. 2003; 278: 38980-38990
- Novel candidate genes in unstable areas of human atherosclerotic plaques.Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, Vasc. Biol. 2006; 26: 1837-1844
- Expression of the cysteine protease legumain in vascular lesions and functional implications in atherogenesis.Atherosclerosis. 2008; 201: 53-66
- Pleiotropic effects of atorvastatin on monocytes in atherosclerotic patients.J. Clin. Pharmacol. 2010; 50: 311-319
- Legumain expression, activity and secretion are increased during monocyte-to-macrophage differentiation and inhibited by atorvastatin.Biol. Chem. 2015; 396: 71-80
- Legumain and cathepsin-L expression in human unstable carotid plaque.Atherosclerosis. 2010; 208: 83-89
- Carotid plaque formation and serum biomarkers.Atherosclerosis. 2010; 213: 21-29
- Markers of inflammation associated with plaque progression and instability in patients with carotid atherosclerosis.Mediat. Inflamm. 2015; 2015: 718329
- Carotid artery stenosis: gray-scale and Doppler US diagnosis–Society of Radiologists in ultrasound consensus conference.Radiology. 2003; 229: 340-346
- Carotid artery plaque composition–relationship to clinical presentation and ultrasound B-mode imaging. European Carotid Plaque Study Group.Eur. J. Vasc. Endovasc. Surg. 1995; 10: 23-30
- Functional role of asparaginyl endopeptidase ubiquitination by TRAF6 in tumor invasion and metastasis.J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2014; 106: dju012
- Six-SOMAmer index relating to immune, protease and angiogenic functions predicts progression in IPF.PloS One. 2016; 11: e0159878
- Serum cystatin C is associated with early stage coronary atherosclerotic plaque morphology on multidetector computed tomography.Atherosclerosis. 2011; 218: 350-355
- Serum cystatin C level is associated with carotid intima-media thickening and plaque.Scand. J. Clin. Lab. Invest. 2015; 75: 265-272
- Increased expression of NAMPT in PBMC from patients with acute coronary syndrome and in inflammatory M1 macrophages.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 243: 204-210
- An optimized protocol for human M2 macrophages using M-CSF and IL-4/IL-10/TGF-beta yields a dominant immunosuppressive phenotype.Scand. J. Immunol. 2014; 79: 305-314
- Cholesterol crystals activate the NLRP3 inflammasome in human macrophages: a novel link between cholesterol metabolism and inflammation.PloS One. 2010; 5: e11765
- Cholesterol crystals induce complement-dependent inflammasome activation and cytokine release.J. Immunol. 2014; 192: 2837-2845
- Reconstituted high-density lipoprotein attenuates cholesterol crystal-induced inflammatory responses by reducing complement activation.J. Immunol. 2015; 195: 257-264
- NLRP3 inflammasomes are required for atherogenesis and activated by cholesterol crystals.Nature. 2010; 464: 1357-1361