- •Ethnicity sometimes modifies the relationship between insulin and glucose with subclinical atherosclerosis.
- •Ethnic minorities showed lower progression of atherosclerosis with increasing insulin or glucose compared with Europeans.
- •South Asians showed evidence of insulin resistance after five years of follow up.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global and regional mortality from 235 causes of death for 20 age groups in 1990 and 2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2013; 380: 2095-2128
- Mortality from cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases in Europe and other areas of the world: an update.Eur. J. Cardiovasc. Prev. Rehabilitation. 2009; 16: 333-350
- European Cardiovascular Disease Statistics.European Heart Network, Brussels, England2008
- Mortality from ischaemic heart disease by country, region, and age: statistics from World Health Organisation and United Nations.Int. J. Cardiol. 2013; 168: 934-945
- Global burden of cardiovascular diseases part II: variations in cardiovascular disease by specific ethnic groups and geographic regions and prevention strategies.Circulation. 2001; 104: 2855-2864
- Risk factors, atherosclerosis, and cardiovascular disease among aboriginal people in Canada: the study of health assessment and risk evaluation in aboriginal peoples (SHARE-AP).Lancet. 2001; 358: 1147-1153
- Mechanisms linking obesity to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.Nature. 2006; 444: 840-846
- Visceral adipose tissue accumulation differs according to ethnic background: results of the Multicultural Community Health Assessment Trial (M-CHAT).Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2007; 86: 353-359
- Insulin resistance syndrome (metabolic syndrome) and obesity in Asian Indians: evidence and implications.Nutrition. 2004; 20: 482-491
- Epidemiology of stroke and its subtypes in Chinese vs white populations A systematic review.Neurology. 2013; 81: 264-272
- Atherosclerosis: from lesion formation to plaque activation and endothelial dysfunction.Mol. aspects Med. 2000; 21: 99-166
- Ultrasound B-mode imaging in observational studies of atherosclerotic progression.Circulation. 1993; 87: II56-65
- Prediction of clinical cardiovascular events with carotid intima-media thickness a systematic review and meta-analysis.Circulation. 2007; 115: 459-467
- Relationship between blood glucose and carotid intima media thickness: a meta-analysis.Cardiovasc. Diabetol. 2010; 9: 37
- Overview of the association between insulin and atherosclerosis.Metabolism. 1985; 34: 7-12
- Study design of the Multicultural Community Health Assessment Trial (M-CHAT): a comparison of body fat distribution in four distinct populations.Ethn. Dis. 2006; 16: 96-100
- Detection of early atherosclerosis with B mode carotid utrasonography: assessment of a new quantitative approach.Clin. investigative Med. 1999; 22: 265
- The prognostic importance of endothelial dysfunction and carotid atheromaburden in patients with coronary artery disease.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2003; 42: 1037-1043
- Carotid artery intima-media thickness in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus and impaired glucose tolerance: a systematic review.Diabet. Med. 2006; 23: 609-616
- Insulin clearance is associated with carotid artery intima–media thickness.Atherosclerosis. 2013; 229: 453-458
- Fasting insulin at baseline influences the number of cardiometabolic risk factors and RR interval at 3years in a healthy population: the RISC Study.Diabetes & metabolism. 2013; 39: 330-336
- Associations between blood glucose and carotid intima-media thickness disappear after adjustment for shared risk factors: the KORA F4 study.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e52590
- Diabetes and pre-diabetes are associated with cardiovascular risk factors and carotid/femoral intima-media thickness independently of markers of insulin resistance and adiposity.Cardiovasc. Diabetol. 2007; 6: 32
- Differences in risk factors, atherosclerosis, and cardiovascular disease between ethnic groups in Canada: the Study of Health Assessment and Risk in Ethnic groups (SHARE).lancet. 2000; 356: 279-284
- Racial/ethnic differences in subclinical atherosclerosis among adults with diabetes the multiethnic study of atherosclerosis.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 2768-2770
- The pathogenesis of coronary artery disease and the acute coronary syndromes.N. Engl. J. Med. 1992; 326: 242-250