- •Microparticles are produced by a variety of cell lines, including macrophages.
- •The ABCA1 transporter and apoA-I stimulate microparticle release from cells.
- •Microparticles contribute approximately 30% of cell cholesterol efflux in peripheral cells.
- •Microparticles show size heterogeneity and contain flotillin and CD63 markers of exosomes.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Apoptotic cells trigger a membrane-initiated pathway to increase ABCA1.J. Clin. investigation. 2015; 125: 2748-2758
- Both STAT3 activation and cholesterol efflux contribute to the anti-inflammatory effect of apoA-I/ABCA1 interaction in macrophages.J. lipid Res. 2016; 57: 848-857
- ABCA1-mediated cholesterol efflux generates microparticles in addition to HDL through processes governed by membrane rigidity.J. lipid Res. 2009; 50: 456-466
- Ectosomes and exosomes: shedding the confusion between extracellular vesicles.Trends Cell Biol. 2015; 25: 364-372
- Microparticles: major transport vehicles for distinct microRNAs in circulation.Cardiovasc. Res. 2012; 93: 633-644
- Microparticles: a pivotal nexus in vascular homeostasis and disease.Curr. Clin. Pharmacol. 2016; 11: 28-42
- Characterization of exosome-like vesicles released from human tracheobronchial ciliated epithelium: a possible role in innate defense, FASEB journal.official Publ. Fed. Am. Soc. Exp. Biol. 2009; 23: 1858-1868
- Exosomes as therapeutics: the implications of molecular composition and exosomal heterogeneity.J. Control Release. 2016; 228: 179-190
- Proteomic comparison defines novel markers to characterize heterogeneous populations of extracellular vesicle subtypes.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2016; 113: E968-E977
- Inhibition of oncogenic epidermal growth factor receptor kinase triggers release of exosome-like extracellular vesicles and impacts their phosphoprotein and DNA content.J. Biol. Chem. 2015; 290: 24534-24546
- Microparticle-associated nucleic acids mediate trait dominance in cancer, FASEB journal.official Publ. Fed. Am. Soc. Exp. Biol. 2012; 26: 420-429
- Formation of procoagulant microparticles and properties.Thrombosis research. 2010; 125: S46-S48
- Shed membrane microparticles with procoagulant potential in human atherosclerotic plaques: a role for apoptosis in plaque thrombogenicity.Circulation. 1999; 99: 348-353
- Membrane microdomains modulate oligomeric ABCA1 function: impact on apoAI-mediated lipid removal and phosphatidylcholine biosynthesis.J. lipid Res. 2011; 52: 2043-2055
- Nascent high density lipoproteins formed by ABCA1 resemble lipid rafts and are structurally organized by three apoA-I monomers.J. lipid Res. 2012; 53: 1890-1909
- HDL biogenesis: defining the domains involved in human apolipoprotein A-I lipidation.Biochemistry. 2016; 55: 4971-4981
- Characterization of nascent HDL particles and microparticles formed by ABCA1-mediated efflux of cellular lipids to apoA-I.J. lipid Res. 2006; 47: 832-843
- Circulating microparticles: square the circle.BMC Cell Biol. 2013; 14: 23
- Ht31, a protein kinase A anchoring inhibitor, induces robust cholesterol efflux and reverses macrophage foam cell formation through ATP-binding cassette transporter A1.J. Biol. Chem. 2011; 286: 3370-3378
- Exosome secretion ameliorates lysosomal storage of cholesterol in Niemann-Pick type C disease.J. Biol. Chem. 2010; 285: 26279-26288
- Interactions of uranyl ions with lipid bilayer membranes.J. Microsc. 1980; 118: 221-227
- Exosomes from human CD34(+) stem cells mediate their proangiogenic paracrine activity.Circulation Res. 2011; 109: 724-728
- Probucol inactivates ABCA1 in the plasma membrane with respect to its mediation of apolipoprotein binding and high density lipoprotein assembly and to its proteolytic degradation.J. Biol. Chem. 2004; 279: 30168-30174
- On the hepatic mechanism of HDL assembly by the ABCA1/apoA-I pathway.J. lipid Res. 2005; 46: 154-162
- ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) functions as a cholesterol efflux regulatory protein.J. Biol. Chem. 2001; 276: 23742-23747
- Direct detection of ABCA1-dependent HDL formation based on lipidation-induced hydrophobicity change in apoA-I.J. lipid Res. 2014; 55: 2423-2431
C. Thery, S. Amigorena, G. Raposo, A. Clayton, Isolation and characterization of exosomes from cell culture supernatants and biological fluids, Current protocols in cell biology/editorial board, Juan S. Bonifacino... [et al.], Chapter 3 (2006) Unit 3 22.
- ABCA1 gene deletion protects against cerebral malaria: potential pathogenic role of microparticles in neuropathology.Am. J. pathology. 2005; 166: 295-302
- Lipopolysaccharide-induced gene expression in murine macrophages is enhanced by prior exposure to oxLDL.J. lipid Res. 2006; 47: 2259-2267
- Measurement of procoagulant activity of microparticles in plasma: feasibility of new functional assays.Thromb. Res. 2014; 134: 1363-1364
- Circulating microparticles: pathophysiology and clinical implications.Blood Rev. 2007; 21: 157-171
- Endothelial microparticles mediate inflammation-induced vascular calcification.FASEB J. 2015; 29: 173-181
- Microparticles: targets and tools in cardiovascular disease.Trends Pharmacol. Sci. 2011; 32: 659-665
- Circulating microparticles in systemic lupus erythematosus.Dan. Med. J. 2012; 59 (B4548)
K. Trajkovic, C. Hsu, S. Chiantia, L. Rajendran, D. Wenzel, et al., Ceramide triggers budding of exosome vesicles into multivesicular endosomes, Science (New York, N.Y.), 319 (2008) 1244–1247.
- Flotillin-1 defines a clathrin-independent endocytic pathway in mammalian cells.Nat. Cell Biol. 2006; 8: 46-54