- •EPA and DHA induce expression of key inflammatory genes in immune cells.
- •Changes in anti-inflammatory gene expression with EPA and DHA are coordinated.
- •CRP reduction with DHA correlates with up-regulation of anti-inflammatory genes.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Obesity, inflammation, and atherosclerosis.Nat. Rev. Cardiol. 2009; 6: 399-409
- Long-chain n-3 PUFAs reduce adipose tissue and systemic inflammation in severely obese nondiabetic patients: a randomized controlled trial.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2012; 96: 1137-1149
- Low-grade inflammation, diet composition and health: current research evidence and its translation.Br. J. Nutr. 2015; 114: 999-1012
- Marine omega-3 fatty acids and inflammatory processes: effects, mechanisms and clinical relevance.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 2015; 1851: 469-484
- Long chain fatty acids and gene expression in inflammation and immunity.Curr. Opin. Clin. Nutr. Metab. Care. 2013; 16: 425-433
- Mechanisms underlying the cardioprotective effects of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids.J. Nutr. Biochem. 2010; 21: 781-792
- Nuclear factor kappaB signaling in atherogenesis.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2005; 25: 904-914
- Fish-oil supplementation induces antiinflammatory gene expression profiles in human blood mononuclear cells.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2009; 90: 415-424
- Effects of oral eicosapentaenoic acid versus docosahexaenoic acid on human peripheral blood mononuclear cell gene expression.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 241: 400-408
- A randomized, crossover, head-to-head comparison of eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid supplementation to reduce inflammation markers in men and women: the Comparing EPA to DHA (ComparED) Study.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2016; 104: 280-287
- Docosahexaenoic acid induces an anti-inflammatory profile in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated human THP-1 macrophages more effectively than eicosapentaenoic acid.J. Nutr. Biochem. 2007; 18: 250-258
- Fatty acid modulation of endothelial activation.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2000; 71: 213S-223S
- The metabolic syndrome–a new worldwide definition.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1059-1062
- Markers of inflammation and cardiovascular disease: application to clinical and public health practice: a statement for healthcare professionals from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2003; 107: 499-511
- Marine n-3 fatty acids and gene expression in peripheral blood mononuclear cells.Curr. Cardiovasc Risk Rep. 2014; 8: 412
- Dose-related effects of eicosapentaenoic acid on innate immune function in healthy humans: a comparison of young and older men.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2006; 83: 331-342
- Fatty acids and inflammation: the cutting edge between food and pharma.Eur. J. Pharmacol. 2011; 668: S50-S58
- CD14 monocyte receptor, involved in the inflammatory cascade, and insulin sensitivity.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2003; 88: 1780-1784
- Blockade by polyunsaturated n-3 fatty acids of endotoxin-induced monocytic tissue factor activation is mediated by the depressed receptor expression in THP-1 cells.J. Surg. Res. 1999; 87: 217-224
- Emerging roles of PPARs in inflammation and immunity.Nat. Rev. Immunol. 2002; 2: 748-759
- Effects of a supplementation of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids with or without fish gelatin on gene expression in peripheral blood mononuclear cells in obese, insulin-resistant subjects.J. Nutr. Nutr. 2011; 4: 192-202
- Myeloid cell TRAF3 regulates immune responses and inhibits inflammation and tumor development in mice.J. Immunol. 2015; 194: 334-348
- Insights into the regulation of protein abundance from proteomic and transcriptomic analyses.Nat. Rev. Genet. 2012; 13: 227-232
- Global signatures of protein and mRNA expression levels.Mol. Biosyst. 2009; 5: 1512-1526
- Protein synthesis rate is the predominant regulator of protein expression during differentiation.Mol. Syst. Biol. 2013; 9: 689
- Postprandial dietary lipid-specific effects on human peripheral blood mononuclear cell gene expression profiles.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2010; 91: 208-217
- Responses to high-fat challenges varying in fat type in subjects with different metabolic risk phenotypes: a randomized trial.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e41388