- •Free DNA colocalizes with calcifications in human and rat arteries.
- •EDTA calcium chelation allowed to identify free DNA as background of calcification.
- •A calcification model based on intra-aortic free DNA infusion is presented.
- •Free DNA may serve as an anionic platform precipitating calcium phosphate.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Validity of vascular calcification as a screening tool and as a surrogate end point in clinical research.Hypertension. 2015; 66: 3-9
- Scoring of coronary artery calcium scans: history, assumptions, current limitations, and future directions.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 239: 109-117
- Coronary computed tomography as a cost-effective test strategy for coronary artery disease assessment - a systematic review.Atherosclerosis. 2014; 234: 426-435
- Has our understanding of calcification in human coronary atherosclerosis progressed?.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2014; 34: 724-736
- Role for alkaline phosphatase as an inducer of vascular calcification in renal failure?.Kidney Int. 2008; 73: 989-991
- Electron microscopic studies of induced cartilage development and calcification.J. Cell Biol. 1967; 35: 81-101
- Nano-analytical electron microscopy reveals fundamental insights into human cardiovascular tissue calcification.Nat. Mater. 2013; 12: 576-583
- Apoptosis and related proteins in different stages of human atherosclerotic plaques.Circulation. 1998; 97: 2307-2315
- Apoptosis regulates human vascular calcification in vitro: evidence for initiation of vascular calcification by apoptotic bodies.Circ. Res. 2000; 87: 1055-1062
- Role of extracellular vesicles in de novo mineralization: an additional novel mechanism of cardiovascular calcification.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2013; 33: 1753-1758
- Methods of gene isolation.Annu. Rev. Biochem. 1974; 43: 667-693
- A mini review of biodegradable calcium phosphate nanoparticles for gene delivery.Curr. Pharm. Biotechnol. 2013; 14: 918-925
- Elastase inhibitor AZD9668 treatment prevented progression of experimental abdominal aortic aneurysms.J. Vasc. Surg. 2016; 63 (486–92. e1)
- Inflammatory, metabolic, and genetic mechanisms of vascular calcification.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2014; 34: 715-723
- Cell biological and physicochemical aspects of arterial calcification.Kidney Int. 2011; 79: 1166-1177
- Vascular calcification: mechanisms of vascular smooth muscle cell calcification.Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2015; 25: 267-274
- Prelamin A accelerates vascular calcification via activation of the DNA damage response and senescence-associated secretory phenotype in vascular smooth muscle cells.Circ. Res. 2013; 112: e99-109
- The role of fetuin-A in mineral trafficking and deposition.Bonekey Rep. 2015; 4: 672
- Lessons from sudden coronary death: a comprehensive morphological classification scheme for atherosclerotic lesions.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2000 May; 20: 1262-1275
- Some advances in the field of physico-chemical characterization of pathological microcrystals.Ann. Biol. Clin. Paris. 2015; 73: 517-534
- Shedding light on the chemical diversity of ectopic calcifications in kidney tissues: diagnostic and research aspects.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e28007
- Carotid and femoral atherosclerotic plaques show different morphology.Atherosclerosis. 2011; 216: 348-354
- Cell-free nucleic acids as a non-invasive route for investigating atherosclerosis.Curr. Pharm. Des. 2014; 20: 5004-5009
- Porphyromonas gingivalis participates in pathogenesis of human abdominal aortic aneurysm by neutrophil activation. Proof of concept in rats.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e18679
- Mechanical stress analysis of a rigid inclusion in distensible material: a model of atherosclerotic calcification and plaque vulnerability.Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 2009; 297: H802-H810
- Revised microcalcification hypothesis for fibrous cap rupture in human coronary arteries.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2013; 110: 10741-10746
- Peristrut microhemorrhages: a possible cause of in-stent neoatherosclerosis?.Cardiovasc Pathol. 2017; 26: 30-38
- Arterial and aortic valve calcification abolished by elastolytic cathepsin S deficiency in chronic renal disease.Circulation. 2009; 119: 1785-1794
- Mechanisms of vascular calcification in CKD-evidence for premature ageing?.Nat. Rev. Nephrol. 2013; 9: 661-670
- Medial vascular calcification revisited: review and perspectives.Eur. Heart J. 2014; 35: 1515-1525
- Overview of circulating nucleic acids in plasma/serum.Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 2008; 1137: 236-242
- Recent highlights of ATVB: calcification.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2014; 34: 1329-1332
- Cell-free nucleic acids as biomarkers in dialyzed patients.J. Nephrol. 2013; 26: 1001-1008
- Circulating cell-free DNA in hemodialysis patients predicts mortality.Nephrol. Dial. Transpl. 2012; 27: 3929-3935
- Circulating cell free mitochondrial DNA is a biomarker in the development of coronary heart disease in the patients with type 2 diabetes.Clin. Lab. 2015; 61: 661-667
- Cell-free plasma DNA during peritoneal dialysis and hemodialysis and in patients with chronic kidney disease.Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 2008; 1137: 296-301
- Vascular smooth muscle cell calcification is mediated by regulated exosome secretion.Circ. Res. 2015; 116: 1312-1323