- •Addition of evacetrapib to statin therapy produces favorable effects on atherogenic and protective lipid measures.
- •Increases in apolipoproteins C-III and E, in addition to C-reactive protein, may exert adverse cardiovascular effects.
- •These findings may provide mechanistic rationale for the lack of efficacy of evacetrapib in large outcomes trials.
- •It remains to be determined whether CETP inhibition is useful in secondary prevention.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Randomised trial of cholesterol lowering in 4444 patients with coronary heart disease: the Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S).Lancet. 1994; 344: 1383-1389
- Prevention of cardiovascular events and death with pravastatin in patients with coronary heart disease and a broad range of initial cholesterol levels.N. Engl. J. Med. 1998; 339: 1349-1357
- MRC/BHF Heart Protection Study of cholesterol lowering with simvastatin in 20,536 high-risk individuals: a randomized placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2002; 360: 7-22
- Primary prevention of acute coronary events with lovastatin in men and women with average cholesterol levels: results of AFCAPS/TexCAPS.JAMA. 1998; 279: 1615-1622
- Cholesterol and Recurrent Events Trial Investigators. The effect of pravastatin on coronary events after myocardial infarction in patients with average cholesterol levels.N. Engl. J. Med. 1996; 335: 1001-1009
- West of Scotland Coronary Prevention Study Group. Prevention of coronary heart disease with pravastatin in men with hypercholesterolemia.N. Engl. J. Med. 1995; 333: 1301-1307
- Cholesterol Treatment Trialists' (CTT) Collaborators. Efficacy and safety of cholesterol-lowering treatment: prospective meta-analysis of data from 90,056 participants in 14 randomised trials of statins.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1267-1278
- JUPITER Study Group. Rosuvastatin to prevent vascular events in men and women with elevated C-reactive protein.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 359: 2195-2207
- Pravastatin or atorvastatin evaluation infection therapy-thrombolysis in myocardial infarction 22 investigators. Intensive versus moderate lipid lowering with statins after acute coronary syndromes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2004; 350: 1495-1504
- Treating to New Targets (TNT) Investigators. Intensive lipid lowering with atorvastatin in patients with stable coronary disease.N. Engl. J. Med. 2005; 352: 1425-1435
- HDL: still a target for new therapies?.Curr. Opin. Investig. Drugs. 2008; 9: 950-956
- ILLUMINATE Investigators. Effects of torcetrapib in patients at high risk for coronary events.N. Engl. J. Med. 2007; 357: 2109-2122
- dal-OUTCOMES Investigators. Effects of dalcetrapib in patients with a recent acute coronary syndrome.N. Engl. J. Med. 2012; 367: 2089-2099
- Effects of the CETP inhibitor evacetrapib administered as monotherapy or in combination with statins on HDL and LDL cholesterol: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2011; 306: 2099-2109
- Assessment of the clinical effects of cholesteryl ester transfer protein inhibition with evacetrapib in patients at high-risk for vascular outcomes: rationale and design of the ACCELERATE trial.Am. Heart J. 2015; 170: 1061-1069
- DEFINE Investigators. Safety of anacetrapib in patients with or at high risk for coronary heart disease.N. Engl. J. Med. 2010; 363: 2406-2415
https://www.eas-society.org/news/291661/EAS-2016-Innsbruck-Highlights-from-the-congress-Monday-May-30.htm Accessed December 19, 2016.
- IMPROVE-IT Investigators. Ezetimibe added to statin therapy after acute coronary syndromes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2015; 372: 2387-2397