- •We compared varenicline or nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessation.
- •Oxidative stress and CO were reduced after 3 months in both treatment arms.
- •Arterial wave reflections were similarly reduced after 3 months in both treatment arms.
- •The improvement of endothelial glycocalyx and CO was more evident after varenicline.
- •Vascular function was further improved at 1 year of smoking cessation.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Tobacco use and risk of myocardial infarction in 52 countries in the INTERHEART study: a case-control study.Lancet. 2006; 368: 647-658
- Comparison of measures of pulsatile arterial function between asymptomatic younger adult smokers and former smokers: the Bogalusa Heart Study.Am. J. Hypertens. 2006; 19: 897-901
- Smoking and cardiovascular disease mechanisms of endothelial dysfunction and early atherogenesis.Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, Vasc. Biol. 2014; 34: 509-515
- Expert consensus document on arterial stiffness: methodological issues and clinical applications.Eur. Heart J. 2006; 27: 2588-3260
- Aortic stiffness is an independent predictor of primary coronary events in hypertensive patients: a longitudinal study.Hypertension. 2002; 39: 10-15
- The endothelial glycocalyx: composition, functions, and visualization.Pflugers Arch. 2007; 454: 345-359
- Endothelial glycocalyx: sweet shield of blood vessels.Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2007; 17: 101-105
- Loss of endothelial glycocalyx during acute hyperglycemia coincides with endothelial dysfunction and coagulation activation in vivo.Diabetes. 2006; 55: 480-486
- Damage of the endothelial glycocalyx in dialysis patients.J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2012; 23: 1900-1908https://doi.org/10.1681/ASN2011121181
- Endothelial glycocalyx damage during endotoxemia coincides with microcirculatory dysfunction and vascular oxidative stress.Shock. 2008; 29: 572-576https://doi.org/10.1097/SHK.0b013e318157e926
- Measuring endothelial glycocalyx dimensions in humans: a potential novel tool to monitor vascular vulnerability.J. Appl. Physiol. 2008; 104: 845-852
- Early detection of left ventricular dysfunction in first-degree relatives of diabetic patients by myocardial deformation imaging: the role of endothelial glycocalyx damage.Int. J. Cardiol. 2017; (Available online 8 January 2017)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2017.01.056 10
- Methods for evaluating endothelial function: a position statement from the European society of Cardiology working group on peripheral circulation.Eur. J. Cardiovasc Prev. Rehabil. 2011; 18: 775-789
- Increased benefit of interleukin-1 inhibition on vascular function, myocardial deformation, and twisting in patients with coronary artery disease and coexisting rheumatoid arthritis.Circ. Cardiovasc Imaging. 2014; 7: 619-628https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCIMAGING.113.001193
- Protein carbonyl groups as biomarkers of oxidative stress.Clin. Chim. Acta. 2003; 329: 23-38
- Smoking cessation and the cardiovascular specialist: canadian Cardiovascular Society position paper.Can. J. Cardiol. 2011; 27: 132-137
- Cardiac rehabilitation and secondary prevention of coronary heart disease. An american heart association scientific statement from the council on clinical Cardiology (subcommittee on exercise, cardiac rehabilitation, and prevention) and the council on nutrition, physical activity, and metabolism (subcommittee on physical activity), in collaboration with the american association of cardiovascular and pulmonary rehabilitation.Circulation. 2011; 124: 2458-2473
- Cardiovascular toxicity of nicotine: implications for nicotine replacement therapy.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1997; 29: 1422-1431
Ware JH, Vetrovec GW, Miller AB, Van Tosh A, Gaffney M, Yunis C, Arteaga C, Borer JS. Cardiovascular safety of varenicline: patient-level meta-analysis of randomized, blinded, placebo-controlled trials. Am. J. Ther.. 201;20:235–246. doi: 10.1097/MJT.0b013e31828d455b.
- Incremental value of arterial wave reflections in the determination of left ventricular diastolic dysfunction in untreated patients with essential hypertension.J. Hum. Hypertens. 2008; 22: 687-698
- Kremastinos DT.Effects of Darbepoetin Alfa on plasma mediators of oxidative and nitrosative stress in anemic patients with chronic heart failure secondary to ischemic or idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy.Am. J. Cardiol. 2009; 103: 1134-1138
- Peripheral haemodynamic effects of smoking in habitual smokers. A methodological study.Eur. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 1990; 38: 57-60
- The effect of chronic tobacco smoking on arterial stiffness.Br. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 2006; 61: 767-773
- Acute effects of passive smoking on peripheral vascular function.Hypertension. 2008; 51: 1506-1511
- Vascular mechanics for the cardiologist.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1994; : 1289-1295
- Non-invasive detection of endothelial dysfunction in children and adults at risk of atherosclerosis.Lancet. 1992; 340: 1111-1115
- Cigarette smoking is associated with increased circulating proinflammatory and procoagulant markers in patients with chronic coronary artery disease: effects of aspirin treatment.Am. Heart J. 2005; 149 (PubMed PMID: 15894964): 832-839
- Effects of smoking and smoking cessation on endothelial function: one-year outcomes from a randomized clinical trial.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2010; 55: 1988-1995
- Carbon monoxide-aggravated atherosclerosis in the squirrel monkey.Exp. Mol. Pathol. 1970; 13: 36-50
- Breath carbon monoxide and carboxyhemoglobin are related to abnormal blood lipid profile in smokers.Atherosclerosis. 2014; 235: e283-e284
- Superoxide-mediated inactivation of nitric oxide and peroxynitrite formation by tobacco smoke in vascular endothelium: studies in cultured cells and smokers.Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 2009; 296: H1781-H1792
- Determination of protein carbonyls in plasma, cell extracts, tissue homogenates, isolated proteins: focus on sample preparation and derivatization conditions.Redox Biol. 2015; 5: 367-380https://doi.org/10.1016/j.redox.2015.06.005
- Vascular stiffness is related to superoxide generation in the vessel wall.J. Hypertens. 2008; 26: 946-955
- Biglycan expression, earlier vascular damage and pro-atherogenic profile improvement after smoke cessation in young people.Atherosclerosis. 2017; (Published online: January 14)