- •Lipoprotein(a) level was associated with heart failure risk in the ARIC study.
- •The association persisted after adjustment for other risk factors.
- •The relation was not significant after excluding prevalent and incident MI.
- •Lipoprotein(a) level was not associated with arterial stiffness parameters.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Associations between lipoprotein(a) levels and cardiovascular outcomes in black and white subjects: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study.Circulation. 2012; 125: 241-249
- Lipoprotein(a) levels and risk of future coronary heart disease: large-scale prospective data.Arch. Intern Med. 2008; 168: 598-608
- Hepatic lipase, genetically elevated high-density lipoprotein, and risk of ischemic cardiovascular disease.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2009; 94: 1264-1273
- Lipoprotein(a), measured with an assay independent of apolipoprotein(a) isoform size, and risk of future cardiovascular events among initially healthy women.JAMA. 2006; 296: 1363-1370
- Lipoprotein(a), interleukin-10, C-reactive protein, and 8-year outcome after percutaneous coronary intervention.Clin. Cardiol. 2012; 35: 482-489
- Associations between serum lipoprotein(a) levels and the severity of coronary and aortic atherosclerosis.Atherosclerosis. 2012; 222: 241-244
- Lipoprotein(a) and incident ischemic stroke: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study.Stroke. 2006; 37: 1407-1412
- Elevated lipoprotein(a) and risk of aortic valve stenosis in the general population.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2014; 63: 470-477
- Lipoprotein(a) levels, genotype, and incident aortic valve stenosis: a prospective Mendelian randomization study and replication in a case-control cohort.Circ. Cardiovasc Genet. 2014; 7: 304-310
- Clinical factors associated with calcific aortic valve disease. Cardiovascular Health Study.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1997; 29: 630-634
- Proliferation of human smooth muscle cells promoted by lipoprotein(a).Science. 1993; 260: 1655-1658
- Association between circulating oxidised low-density lipoprotein and fibrocalcific remodelling of the aortic valve in aortic stenosis.Heart. 2008; 94: 1175-1180
- Increased stiffness is the major early abnormality in a pig model of severe aortic stenosis and predisposes to congestive heart failure in the absence of systolic dysfunction.J. Am. Heart Assoc. 2015; : 4
- Combined ventricular systolic and arterial stiffening in patients with heart failure and preserved ejection fraction: implications for systolic and diastolic reserve limitations.Circulation. 2003; 107: 714-720
- Elevated lipoprotein(a) levels, LPA risk genotypes, and increased risk of heart failure in the general population.JACC Heart Fail. 2016; 4: 78-87
- The atherosclerosis risk in communities (ARIC) study: design and objectives.Am. J. Epidemiol. 1989; 129: 687-702
- Molecular definition of the extreme size polymorphism in apolipoprotein(a).Hum. Mol. Genet. 1993; 2: 933-940
- Relation between number of apolipoprotein(a) kringle 4 repeats and mobility of isoforms in agarose gel: basis for a standardized isoform nomenclature.Clin. Chem. 1996; 42: 436-439
- Human plasma lipoprotein [a]: structural properties.J. Biol. Chem. 1983; 258: 4582-4589
- Use of a reference material proposed by the International Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine to evaluate analytical methods for the determination of plasma lipoprotein(a).Clin. Chem. 2000; 46: 1956-1967
- Classification of heart failure in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study: a comparison of diagnostic criteria.Circ. Heart Fail. 2012; 5: 152-159
- Associations of lipoprotein cholesterols, apolipoproteins A-I and B, and triglycerides with carotid atherosclerosis and coronary heart disease. The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study.Arterioscler. Thromb. 1994; 14: 1098-1104
- Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge.Clin. Chem. 1972; 18: 499-502
- Variation of common carotid artery elasticity with intimal-medial thickness: the ARIC Study. Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities.Ultrasound Med. Biol. 1997; 23: 157-164
- Non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and fasting glucose and insulin concentrations are associated with arterial stiffness indexes. The ARIC Study. Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study.Circulation. 1995; 91: 1432-1443
- Hypertension and arterial stiffness: the atherosclerosis risk in communities study. ARIC investigators.Am. J. Hypertens. 2000; 13: 317-323
- Prediction of incident heart failure in general practice: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study.Circ. Heart Fail. 2012; 5: 422-429
- Isolation and partial characterization of apolipoprotein (a) from human lipoprotein (a).Biochem. Cell Biol. 1986; 64: 999-1009
- Changes in arterial stiffness and wave reflection with advancing age in healthy men and women: the Framingham Heart Study.Hypertension. 2004; 43: 1239-1245
- Antisense oligonucleotides targeting apolipoprotein(a) in people with raised lipoprotein(a): two randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging trials.Lancet. 2016; 388: 2239-2253