- •A causal mediation analysis using the observational part of a large scale randomized controlled trial (RCT) is described.
- •There is no significant effect of therapy-induced low diastolic blood pressure on risk of certain cardiovascular outcomes.
- •Adjusting for mediator-outcome confounding is essential, even in RCTs.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Upward shift of the lower range of coronary flow autoregulation in hypertensive patients with hypertrophy of the left ventricle.Circulation. 1991; 83: 845-853
- The J-curve phenomenon and the treatment of hypertension: is there a point beyond which pressure reduction is dangerous?.Jama. 1991; 265: 489-495
- Dogma disputed: can aggressively lowering blood pressure in hypertensive patients with coronary artery disease be dangerous?.Ann. Intern. Med. 2006; 144: 884-893
- Aggressive blood pressure lowering is dangerous: the J-curve response to aggressive blood pressure reduction is dangerous: the J-curve: pro side of the argument.Hypertension. 2014; 63: 29-36
- Blood pressure j-curve: current concepts.Curr. Hypertens. Rep. 2012; 14: 556-566
- Does low diastolic blood pressure contribute to the risk of recurrent hypertensive cardiovascular disease Events? Novelty and significance.Hypertension. 2015; 65: 299-305
- Achieved blood pressure and cardiovascular outcomes in high-risk patients: results from ONTARGET and TRANSCEND trials.Lancet. 2017; : 2226-2237
- Diastolic blood pressure, subclinical myocardial damage, and cardiac events: implications for blood pressure control.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2016; 68: 1713-1722
- A randomized trial of intensive versus standard blood-pressure control.N. Engl. J. Med. 2015; 373: 2103-2116
- Diastolic hypotension and myocardial ischemia.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2017; 69: 1646-1647
- Effects of intensive blood-pressure control in type 2 diabetes mellitus.N. Engl. J. Med. 2010; 2010: 1575-1585
- Low diastolic ambulatory blood pressure is associated with greater all-cause mortality in older patients with hypertension.J. Am. Geriatrics Soc. 2009; 57: 291-296
- Direct and indirect effects.in: Proceedings of the Seventeenth Conference on Uncertainy in Artifcial Intelligence. 2001: 411-420
- Explanation in Causal Inference.Oxford University Press, 2015
- A simple unified approach for estimating natural direct and indirect effects.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2012; 176: 190-195
- Blood pressure as a cardiovascular risk factor: prevention and treatment.Jama. 1996; 275: 1571-1576
- Intensive vs standard blood pressure control and cardiovascular disease outcomes in adults aged 75 years: a randomized clinical trial.Jama. 2016; 315: 2673-2682
- Relation of low diastolic blood pressure to coronary heart disease death in presence of myocardial infarction: the Framingham study.BMJ. 1991; 303: 385-389
- Aggressive blood pressure lowering is dangerous: the J-curveresponse to aggressive blood pressure lowering is dangerous: the J-curve: con side of the argument.Hypertension. 2014; 63: 37-40
- The role of diastolic blood pressure when treating isolated systolic hypertension.Archives Intern. Med. 1999; 159: 2004-2009
- Cardiovascular event rates and mortality according to achieved systolic and diastolic blood pressure in patients with stable coronary artery disease: an international cohort study.Lancet. 2016; 388: 2142-2152
- No evidence for a J-shaped curve in treated hypertensive patients with increased cardiovascular risk: the VALUE trial.Blood Press. 2016; 25: 83-92
- Isolated diastolic hypotension and incident heart failure in older adults.Hypertension. 2011; 58: 895-901
- Comparison of blood pressure measurements between an automated oscillometric device and a Hawksley random-zero sphygmomanometer in the northern Sweden MONICA study.Blood Press. Monit. 2012; 17: 164-170
- Automated compared to manual office blood pressure and to home blood pressure in hypertensive patients.Blood Press. 2016; 25: 228-234
- Implications of blood pressure measurement technique for implementation of systolic blood pressure intervention trial (SPRINT).J. Am. Heart Assoc. 2017; 6: e004536