- •Antibodies to OxLDL modify the progression of atherosclerosis.
- •IgA class antibodies to OxLDL have received less interest.
- •IgA to phosphocholine increased the long-term risk of CVD.
- •This association was maintained regardless of known CVD risk factors.
Background and aims
ABBREVIATIONS:CVD (cardiovascular disease), LDL (low-density lipoprotein), OxLDL (oxidized LDL), PCho (phosphocholine), CWPS (Streptococcus Pneumoniae cell wall polysaccharide), OPERA (Oulu Project Elucidating Risk of Atherosclerosis), ICD (International Classification of Diseases), CHD (coronary heart disease), MDA-LDL (malondialdehyde modified LDL), CuOx-LDL (copper oxidized LDL), IMT (intima media thickness), ASCVD (ACC/AHA atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease risk model), HDL (high density lipoprotein), hsCRP (high sensitivity CRP), IDI (integrated discrimination index), NRI (net reclassification improvement), MAA (malondialdehyde-acetaldehyde), PAF (platelet-activating factor)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Value and limitations of existing scores for the assessment of cardiovascular risk: a review for clinicians.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2009; 54: 1209-1227
- Detection of the phosphorylcholine epitope in streptococci, Haemophilus and pathogenic Neisseriae by immunoblotting.Microb. Pathog. 1997; 22: 321-329
- Antigen-binding myeloma proteins in mice.Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1971; 190: 306-321
- Immunomodulation by phosphocholine—biosynthesis, structures and immunological implications of parasitic PC-epitopes.Mol. Immunol. 2009; 47: 149-163
- Prevention of pneumococcal pneumonia by immunization with spesific capsular polysaccharides.J. Exp. Med. 1945; 82: 445-465
- Correlation of antiphospholipid antibody recognition with the structure of synthetic oxidized phospholipids: importance of schiff base formation and aldol condensation.J. Biol. Chem. 2002; 277: 7010-7020
- Low level natural antibodies against phosphorylcholine: a novel risk marker and potential mechanism in atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease.Clin. Immunol. 2010; 134: 47-54
- Cloning of monoclonal autoantibodies to epitopes of oxidized lipoproteins from apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. Demonstration of epitopes of oxidized low density lipoprotein in human plasma.J. Clin. Invest. 1996; 98: 800-814
- Immunoglobulin M type of autoantibodies to oxidized low-density lipoprotein has an inverse relation to carotid artery atherosclerosis.Circulation. 2003; 108: 2107-2112
- Oxidation-specific biomarkers, prospective 15-year cardiovascular and stroke outcomes, and net reclassification of cardiovascular events.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2012; 60: 2218-2229
- B cells and humoral immunity in atherosclerosis.Circ. Res. 2014; 114: 1743-1756
- Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in drug-treated hypertensive patients and control subjects.J. Intern Med. 1999; 245: 163-174
- Body fat measured by a near-infrared interactance device as a predictor of cardiovascular events: the FINRISK'92 cohort.Obesity. 2011; 19: 848-852
- High plasma immunoglobulin (Ig) A and low IgG antibody titers to oxidized low-density lipoprotein are associated with markers of glucose metabolism.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2010; 95: 2467-2475
- 2013 ACC/AHA guideline on the assessment of cardiovascular risk.Circulation. 2014; 129: S49-S73
- General cardiovascular risk profile for use in primary care: the Framingham heart study.Circulation. 2008; 117: 743-753
- Comparing the areas under two or more correlated receiver operating characteristic curves: a nonparametric approach.Biometrics. 1988; 44: 837-845
- Extensions of net reclassification improvement calculations to measure usefulness of new biomarkers.Stat. Med. 2011; 30: 11-21
- Association of serum IgA and C4 with severe atherosclerosis.Atherosclerosis. 1988; 74: 179-186
- Antibodies to human heat shock protein 60, hypertension and dyslipidemia. A study of joint effects on coronary risk.Atherosclerosis. 2003; 169: 339-344
- Prediction of myocardial infarction in dyslipidemic men by elevated levels of immunoglobulin classes A, E, and G, but not M.Arch. Intern Med. 1998; 158: 1434-1439
- Unique antibody responses to malondialdehyde-acetaldehyde (MAA)-Protein adducts predict coronary artery disease.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e107440
- IgM phosphorylcholine antibodies inhibit cell death and constitute a strong protection marker for atherosclerosis development, particularly in combination with other auto-antibodies against modified LDL.Results Immunol. 2012; 2: 13-18
Macpherson AJ, McCoy KD, Johansen F, Brandtzaeg P. The immune geography of IgA induction and function. Mucosal Immunol. 0000;1:11–22.
- High serum IgA concentrations in patients with diabetes mellitus: agewise distribution and relation to chronic complications.Clin. Chem. 1996; 42: 1064-1067
- Serum levels of immunoglobulins (IgG, IgA, IgM) in a general adult population and their relationship with alcohol consumption, smoking and common metabolic abnormalities.Clin. Exp. Immunol. 2008; 151: 42-50
- IL-33 reduces the development of atherosclerosis.J. Exp. Med. 2008; 205: 339-346
- FcalphaRI-positive liver Kupffer cells: reappraisal of the function of immunoglobulin A in immunity.Nat. Med. 2000; 6: 680-685
- Gut flora metabolism of phosphatidylcholine promotes cardiovascular disease.Nature. 2011; 472: 57-63
- Invasion of human vascular endothelial cells by Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans via the receptor for platelet-activating factor.Infect. Immun. 2000; 68: 5416-5419
- Monoclonal antibodies against oxidized low-density lipoprotein bind to apoptotic cells and inhibit their phagocytosis by elicited macrophages: evidence that oxidation-specific epitopes mediate macrophage recognition.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 1999; 96: 6353-6358
- Naturally occurring human phosphorylcholine antibodies are predominantly products of affinity-matured B cells in the adult.J. Immunol. 2014; 192: 4551-4559
- Kinetics of IgM and IgA antibody response to 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccination in healthy subjects.J. Clin. Immunol. 2012; 33: 288-296
- Pneumococcal vaccination decreases atherosclerotic lesion formation: molecular mimicry between Streptococcus pneumoniae and oxidized LDL.Nat. Med. 2003; 9: 736-743
- Effect of the adult pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine on cardiovascular disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Open Heart. 2015; 2
- Pneumococcal vaccination in the United States and 20 other developed countries, 1981–1996.Clin. Infect. Dis. 1998; 26: 1117-1123
- Net reclassification indices for evaluating risk prediction instruments: a critical review.Epidemiology. 2014; 25