- •Long-term consumption of a MedDiet improves endothelial function in patients with prediabetes and diabetes.
- •MedDiet is associated with an improvement of endothelial function compared to LF diet in patients with diabetes.
- •Our findings advocate use of the MedDiet in patients with prediabetes and diabetes to prevent cardio-metabolic complications.
Background and aims
Abbreviations:ADA (American Diabetes Association), ASCVD (atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease), BMI (body mass index), CVD (cardiovascular disease), CHD (coronary heart disease), FMD (flow mediated vasodilation), HDL-C (high-density lipoprotein cholesterol), LDL-C (low density lipoprotein), LF (low fat), MedDiet (Mediterranean diet), NO (nitric oxide), TC (total cholesterol), TG (triglycerides), T2D (type 2 diabetes)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Atherosclerosis
- Worldwide trends in diabetes since 1980 : a pooled analysis of 751 population-based studies with 4.4 million participants.Lancet. 2008; 387: 1513-1530
- Primary prevention of cardiovascular diseases in people with diabetes mellitus.Circulation. 2007; 115: 114
- Explaining the decrease in U.S. Deaths from coronary disease, 1980–2000.N. Engl. J. Med. 2007; 356: 2388-2398
- Control of coronary heart disease risk factors and evidence-based therapies: joint efforts for coronary heart disease prevention in Spain.Rev. Española Cardiol. English Ed. 2011; 64: 962-964
- Cardiovascular risk in post-myocardial infarction patients: nationwide real world data demonstrate the importance of a long-term perspective.Eur. Heart J. 2015; 36: 1163-1170
- Endothelial function and dysfunction. Part II: association with cardiovascular risk factors and diseases. A statement by the working group on endothelins and endothelial factors of the european society of hypertension*.J. Hypertens. 2005; 23: 233-246
- Prognostic value of coronary vascular endothelial dysfunction.Ciruclation. 2002; 106: 653-658
- An update on the role of markers of inflammation in atherosclerosis.J. Atheroscler. Thrombosis. 2010; 17: 1-11
- Genetic and molecular determinants of atherosclerotic plaque instability.Curr. Vasc. Pharmacol. 2010; 8: 545-552
Celermajer DS, Sorensen KE, Gooch VM, Spiegelhalter DJ, Miller OI, Sullivan ID, et al. Non-invasive detection of endothelial dysfunction in children and adults at risk of atherosclerosis. Lancet.340(8828):1111–1115.
- Close relation of endothelial function in the human coronary and peripheral circulations.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1995; 26: 1235-1241
- Comparison of peripheral endothelial dysfunction and intima media thickness in patients with suspected coronary artery disease.Heart. 1998; 80: 349-354
- Noninvasive determination of endothelium-mediated vasodilation as a screening test for coronary artery disease: pilot study to assess the predictive value in comparison with angina pectoris, exercise electrocardiography, and myocardial perfusion imaging.Am. Heart J. 1999; 138: 731-739
- The relative importance of vascular structure and function in predicting cardiovascular events.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2004; 43: 616-623
- Endothelial dysfunction and coronary artery disease: a state of the art review.Cardiol. Rev. 2015; 23: 119-129
- The protective effect of the Mediterranean diet on endothelial resistance to GLP-1 in type 2 diabetes: a preliminary report.Cardiovasc. Diabetol. 2014; 13: 1-9
- Prediabetes diagnosis and treatmen: a review.World J. Diabetes. 2015; 6: 296-303
- CORonary diet intervention with olive oil and cardiovascular PREVention study (the CORDIOPREV study): Rationale, methods and baseline characteristics. A clinical trial comparing the efficacy of a Mediterranean diet rich in olive oil versus a low-fat diet on cardiovascular disease in coronary patients.Am. Heart J. 2016; 177 (42-50): 177
- Standards of medical care in diabetes-2017:summary of revisions.Diabetes Care. 2016; (S4 LP-S5)
- Guidelines for the ultrasound assesment of endothelial-dependent flow-mediated vasodilation of the brachial artery: a report of the International Brachial Artery Reactivity Task Force.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2002; 39: 257-265
- Mediterranean and low-fat diets improve endothelial function in hypercholesterolemic men.Ann. Intern. Med. 2001; 134: 1115-1119
- Dietary fat differentially influences regulatory endothelial function during the postprandial state in patients with metabolic syndrome: From the LIPGENE study.Atherosclerosis. 2010; 209: 533-538
- A Mediterranean diet supplemented with extra virgin olive oil or nuts improves endothelial markers involved in blood pressure control in hypertensive women.Eur. J. Nutr. 2015; : 1-9
- Diabetes and the Mediterranean diet: a beneficial effect of oleic acid on insulin sensitivity, adipocyte glucose transport and endothelium-dependent vasoreactivity.QJM Mon. J. Assoc. Physicians. 2000; 93: 85-91
- Intensive practical lifestyle intervention improves endothelial function in metabolic syndrome independent of weight loss: a randomized controlled trial.Metabolism Clin. Exp. 2011; 60: 1736-1740
- Endothelial function and weight loss: Comparison of low- carbohydrate and low-fat diets.Obesity (Silver Spring, Md). 2013; 21: 504-509
- Does the DASH diet lower blood pressure by altering peripheral vascular function?.J. Hum. Hypertens. 2010; 24: 312-319
- Circulating vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 correlates with the extent of human atherosclerosis in contrast to circulating intercellular adhesion molecule-1, E-selectin, P-selectin, and thrombomodulin.Arter. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 1997; 17: 505-512
Perez-Jimenez F, Castro P, Lopez-Miranda J, Paz-Rojas E, Blanco A, Lopez-Segura F, et al. Circulating levels of endothelial function are modulated by dietary monounsaturated fat. Atherosclerosis1452:351–358.
- Chronic effects of a high-fat diet enriched with virgin olive oil and a low-fat diet enriched with α-linolenic acid on postprandial endothelial function in healthy men.Br. J. Nutr. 2008; 100: 159-165
- Phenolic content of virgin olive oil improves ischemic reactive hyperemia in hypercholesterolemic patients.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2005; 46: 1864-1868
- Cardiovascular disease and long-chain omega-3 fatty acids.Curr. Opin. Lipidol. 2003; 14: 9-14
- Dietary pattern analysis: a new direction in nutritional epidemiology.Curr. Opin. Lipidol. 2002; 13: 3-9
- Expression profiling of genes related to endothelial cells biology in patients with type 2 diabetes and patients with prediabetes.BioMed Res. Int. 2017; 2017: 1
- Long-term follow-up of patients with mild coronary artery disease and endothelial dysfunction.Circulation. 2000; 101: 948-954
- Endothelium-dependent dilation in the systemic arteries of asymptomatic subjects relates to coronary risk factors and their interaction.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1994; 24: 1468-1474
Laclaustra M, Frangi AF, Frangi AG, Casasnovas JA, Cia P. Association of endothelial function and vascular data with LDL-c and HDL-c in a homogeneous population of middle-aged, healthy military men: evidence for a critical role of optimal lipid levels. Int. J. Cardiol..125(3):376–382.
- Is the association between flow-mediated dilation and cardiovascular risk limited to low-risk populations?.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2005; 45: 1987-1993
- Predictive value of non invasively determined endothelial dysfunction for long-term cardiovascular events in patients with peripheral vascular disease.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2003; 41: 1769-1775
Karatzis EN, Ikonomidis I, Vamvakou GD, Papaioannou TG, Protogerou AD, Andreadou I, et al. Long-term prognostic role of flow-mediated dilatation of the brachial artery after acute coronary syndromes without ST elevationAm. J. Cardiol..98(11):1424–1428.
- Flow-mediated and reflex changes in large peripheral artery tone in humans.Circulation. 1989; 79: 93-100
- Prediction of future cardiovascular outcomes by flow-mediated vasodilatation of brachial artery: a meta-analysis.Int. J. Cardiovasc. Imaging. 2010; 26: 631-640
- Association between prediabetes and risk of cardiovascular disease and all cause mortality: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2016; 355 (i5953)