- •This paper describes the first genome wide association study of thromboxane A2 formation.
- •5 SNPs in two genes, PPARGC1B and CNTN4, are associated with elevated thromboxane A2 formation in 806 ASCOT participants.
- •The same SNPs are associated with an excess of cardiovascular events in an independent ASCOT population (n = 6,199).
- •These results suggest specific protection of aspirin for people with certain PPARGC1B and CNTN4 genotypesoman.
- •If confirmed, PPARGC1B and CNTN4 genotyping could potentially provide guidance in the use of aspirin in primary prevention.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Platelet activation and atherothrombosis.N. Engl. J. Med. 2007; 357: 2482-2494
- Antithrombotic Trialists' (ATT) Collaboration. Aspirin in the primary and secondary prevention of vascular disease: collaborative meta-analysis of individual participant data from randomised trials.Lancet. 2009; 373: 1849-1860
- 11-Dehydrothromboxane B2: a quantitative index of thromboxane A2 formation in the human circulation.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 1986; 83: 5861-5865
- Fractional conversion of thromboxane B2 to urinary 11-dehydrothromboxane B2 in man.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1989; 992: 66-70
- Aspirin-resistant thromboxane biosynthesis and the risk of myocardial infarction, stroke, or cardiovascular death in patients at high risk for cardiovascular events.Circulation. 2002; 105: 1650-1655
- Incomplete inhibition of thromboxane biosynthesis by acetylsalicylic acid: determinants and effect on cardiovascular risk.Circulation. 2008; 118: 1705-1712
- Heritability of platelet responsiveness to aspirin in activation pathways directly and indirectly related to cyclooxygenase-1.Circulation. 2007; 115: 2490-2496
- Heritability of thromboxane A2 and prostaglandin E2 biosynthetic machinery in a Spanish population.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2010; 30: 128-134
- Association of cyclooxygenase-2 genetic variant with cardiovascular disease.Eur. Heart J. 2014; 35 (2242–2248a)
- Prevention of cardiovascular events with an antihypertensive regimen of amlodipine adding perindopril as required versus atenolol adding bendroflumethiazide as required, in the Anglo-Scandinavian Cardiac Outcomes Trial-Blood Pressure Lowering Arm (ASCOT-BPLA): a multicentre randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2005; 366: 895-906
- An intensive phenotyping study to enable the future examination of genetic influences on hypertension-associated cardiovascular disease.J. Hum. Hypertens. 2001; 15: S13-S18
- Genome-wide association study of genetic determinants of LDL-c response to atorvastatin therapy: importance of Lp(a).J. Lipid Res. 2012; 53: 1000-1011
- Blood pressure loci identified with a gene-centric array.Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2011; 89: 688-700
- PLINK: a tool set for whole-genome association and population-based linkage analyses.Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2007; 81: 559-575
- R: a Language and Environment for Statistical Computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2010
- Characterization of the human, mouse and rat PGC1 beta (peroxisome-proliferator-activated receptor-gamma co-activator 1 beta) gene in vitro and in vivo.Biochem. J. 2003; 373: 155-165
- PGC-1 coactivators in cardiac development and disease.Circ. Res. 2010; 107: 825-838
- Feedback control of cyclooxygenase-2 expression through PPARgamma.J. Biol. Chem. 2000; 275: 28028-28032
- PPARgamma signaling and metabolism: the good, the bad and the future.Nat. Med. 2013; 19: 557-566
- Cloning and characterization of the human neural cell adhesion molecule, CNTN4 (alias BIG-2).Cytogenet Genome Res. 2003; 101: 17-23
- Genetics of variation in serum uric acid and cardiovascular risk factors in Mexican Americans.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2009; 94: 632-638
- Genome-wide association analysis confirms and extends the association of SLC2A9 with serum uric acid levels to Mexican Americans.Front. Genet. 2013; 4: 279
- Uric acid stimulates monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 production in vascular smooth muscle cells via mitogen-activated protein kinase and cyclooxygenase-2.Hypertension. 2003; 41: 1287-1293
- Genetic variation in the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR) and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma co-activator 1 (PGC1) gene families and type 2 diabetes.Ann. Hum. Genet. 2014; 78: 23-32
- Putative association of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma co-activator 1beta (PPARGC1B) polymorphism with Type 2 diabetes mellitus.Diabet. Med. 2006; 23: 635-642